The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

I will hold off on calling tod. Enroth gets lit up in Tampa and his aura of invincibilty goes poof. We can't score near the league average. It is December 2, not March 2. Those trumpeting the new look Sabres are temporarily blinded by the turd jerseys. Lot of time to come back to the mean.

Judging by the empty arena the "fans" are not enthralled by the prospect of rebuilding another also ran. The league leading team with Stamkos in town and a lot of empty seats and no energy in the building in the first. TP wants star power and he will get it.

Tank's over. Better hope Grigorenko and Armia become stars.

I don't know about Armia, but, as you may be aware, I've been all about Grigorenko for a while, now. I don't even want to dig up my old posts and gloat. We have to wait until the trade deadline to see what this team is and where it's going.

I'm not saying the Tank is over, I'm just saying that at least now it's being done right. Try to win now and see where we are at the trade deadline. We definitely have a pretty damn good base that some elite scoring would look tasty with.

I don't know about Armia, but, as you may be aware, I've been all about Grigorenko for a while, now. I don't even want to dig up my old posts and gloat. We have to wait until the trade deadline to see what this team is and where it's going.

Nothing to gloat about yet. So far neither Grigorenko nor Armia has done anything in the AHL as good as what Luke Adam did in his first season there.

I want to believe. But I don't yet.

I'm not saying the Tank is over, I'm just saying that at least now it's being done right. Try to win now and see where we are at the trade deadline. We definitely have a pretty damn good base that some elite scoring would look tasty with.

I love how the young players are stepping up, but they are starting to play themselves out of elite talent. My fear is this team is going to be well suited to compete for the 6-8 Seed every season and get knocked off by the top teams loaded with talent. I have watched the Buffalo Teams be mired in mediocrity for too long and this appears to be a continuation of it.

And we get elite scoring from where? At the deadline you may get a pick and a prospect, but the best way to add the tasty is to ensure we have a lock on McEichle. the deadline may be too late.

I love how the young players are stepping up, but they are starting to play themselves out of elite talent. My fear is this team is going to be well suited to compete for the 6-8 Seed every season and get knocked off by the top teams loaded with talent. I have watched the Buffalo Teams be mired in mediocrity for too long and this appears to be a continuation of it.

Tru dat. Unfortunately.

If we're only on track to once again be a one-round wonder that sneaks into the playoffs each year and is completely outmatched, there's nothing to get excited about.

I want the Sabres to be a powerhouse someday. Not some pitiful borderline playoff team and not even a good team hoping to upset the elite teams. We've had maybe 1.5 seasons of that since 1980.

Bah. I want generational talent behind door # 1 Alec. Or is it Alex ? I think I've mixed up the game shows but I'm sick of the barely contending for the playoffs then not contending at all show. Thats old. Been there done that. Give me 1,2,or 3 at the top of the draft and I'm a happy camper.

And we get elite scoring from where? At the deadline you may get a pick and a prospect, but the best way to add the tasty is to ensure we have a lock on McEichle. the deadline may be too late.

That's what I'm saying. If the choice at that time is to tank, then (A) you move what talent there is for even more picks (that can either be used or moved). If the kids are way farther along than any of us dreamed possible, you (B) you use the picks we do have to pick up [real] talent for a playoff push. FTR, Darcy never did either of these options (Boyes and Zubris don't even come close to counting).

I really hope it is a difficult decision for them come trade deadline, makes for a better season for us to watch. I'm pretty sure that all this won't even matter, though, since I believe that they will eventually fall back to their mean and be in the McDerby anyway. Sure is fun to think about, though.

Edited by SwampD

Bah. I want generational talent behind door # 1 Alec. Or is it Alex ? I think I've mixed up the game shows but I'm sick of the barely contending for the playoffs then not contending at all show. Thats old. Been there done that. Give me 1,2,or 3 at the top of the draft and I'm a happy camper.

we had that last year :P

With this unlikely win over 1st place Tampa, the Sabres are now ahead of Carolina, Philadelphia, Edmonton, and Columbus in points.

I'm losing faith in GMTM's Tank...... they're gonna have to lose, and lose a lot, to get back to the basement.

Well you can look at Armia, Baptiste, Bailey, the 3first round picks this year and see which ones emerge. Everyone around here needs to stop acting like the only way to get anything is McDavid or Eichel, it is becoming annoying.

Also did everyone forget Sam Reinhart?

With or without landing a top 2 pick this year (which I still believe happens), 8 first round picks over 4 years should be one hell of a foundation for a team. And that's before even looking at all of the 2nd rounders. Pair that up with some decent drafting and trades/signings and this team should be moving in the right direction. There will be no excuse for a continuation of the lack of talent we have seen in recent years.

With or without landing a top 2 pick this year (which I still believe happens), 8 first round picks over 4 years should be one hell of a foundation for a team. And that's before even looking at all of the 2nd rounders. Pair that up with some decent drafting and trades/signings and this team should be moving in the right direction. There will be no excuse for a continuation of the lack of talent we have seen in recent years.

Unless we have a group oh Hodsons and Staffords. McEichel would not have a chance to fall in that category.

Unless we have a group oh Hodsons and Staffords. McEichel would not have a chance to fall in that category.

You think Zemgus, Risto, Zadorov, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Armia, and Sam Reinhart fall into the category of Hodgson (who we didn't draft) and Stafford who was drafted prior to Kevin Devine being in charge or the addition of Tim Murray?

That is without accounting for 3 first round picks in 2015 or any of our 2nd round picks.

You think Zemgus, Risto, Zadorov, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Armia, and Sam Reinhart fall into the category of Hodgson (who we didn't draft) and Stafford who was drafted prior to Kevin Devine being in charge or the addition of Tim Murray?

That is without accounting for 3 first round picks in 2015 or any of our 2nd round picks.

Zadorov, Risto, Pysyk and McCabe are dmen. Zemgus is a solid 2way 2nd/3rd line guy. Grigorenko, Armia and Reinhart are question marks none could make the jump directly to the show like Crosby MacKinnon, Stamkos Tavares etc.. TM did not draft Grigorenko, Armia or Z so I don't get your point there. IMO none are generational talents. Good players possibly, but not a Crosby, Stamkos, et. al. The three first decrease in value the closer we get to the middle of the pack and the Isles and Blues are not looking like middle teens picks. So the one pick that we have control over, we are screwing up. I do not correlate quantity with quality. And I am a firm believer that McDavid and possibly Eichel are franchise changing players. Anything after the first 4-5 is a crapshoot.

@Liger. I like our prospect pool as well in terms of defense but who the heck on that list is going to score goals? We're going to have to try and win games 2-1 every night. There are no elite goal scoring prospects in our system.

Edit - Also don't give me the Armia BS. Guy has scored a total of 13 goals in 73 AHL games. He would be scoring at a much higher clip by now if he had top line scoring potential.

Edited by Derrico

Zadorov, Risto, Pysyk and McCabe are dmen. Zemgus is a solid 2way 2nd/3rd line guy. Grigorenko, Armia and Reinhart are question marks none could make the jump directly to the show like Crosby MacKinnon, Stamkos Tavares etc.. TM did not draft Grigorenko, Armia or Z so I don't get your point there. IMO none are generational talents. Good players possibly, but not a Crosby, Stamkos, et. al. The three first decrease in value the closer we get to the middle of the pack and the Isles and Blues are not looking like middle teens picks. So the one pick that we have control over, we are screwing up. I do not correlate quantity with quality. And I am a firm believer that McDavid and possibly Eichel are franchise changing players. Anything after the first 4-5 is a crapshoot.

If you need a "franchise changing" player to win the Cup then Washington (Ovi), Pittsburgh (Crosby AND Malkin), Tampa (Stamkos), etc. should take turns winning the Cup, right? Yet "franchise changing" Crosby only has one Cup and "franchise changing" Ovi and Stamkos (plus a lot of others who might fall into that category) have zero. Hmmmm...

The truth is there are a lot of paths to a Cup winning team and having a #1 overall pick on the roster need not be one of them (e.g. the Kings). But, having a really good GM is a must. Hopefully Murray falls into the "really good" GM category.

Kevin Devine was part of my point there.

Guess what? I know more about the draft than you! That isn't true in this draft, Period.

@Liger. I like our prospect pool as well in terms of defense but who the heck on that list is going to score goals? We're going to have to try and win games 2-1 every night. There are no elite goal scoring prospects in our system.

Edit - Also don't give me the Armia BS. Guy has scored a total of 13 goals in 73 AHL games. He would be scoring at a much higher clip by now if he had top line scoring potential.

I am sick of having these arguments so I'm calling bull$#!t.

Edited by LGR4GM