The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

I really do hope we get multiple 25+ goal scorers out of the group listed dudacek. If not there is always our ability to trade for them as well. Looking back on the last few pages I just lost it on this 'rebuild' because I was believing we were going to get this generational talent that seems to be slipping through our fingers. Our prospect pool is very deep, I just hope some turn into high end scorers (which odds say some probably will). Not sure what got into me, I'm not sure I've ever had so many consecutive Sabres raged posts in the nearly ten years I've frequented this board.

Just thinking of whata McEicel could do for the rest of our prospects had me on cloud 9. Its like thinking you hit the jackpot 50 mil and actually you only got 5 of the 6 numbers right. A half mil is excellent and even life changing but its still tough knowing what could have been.

I really do hope we get multiple 25+ goal scorers out of the group listed dudacek. If not there is always our ability to trade for them as well. Looking back on the last few pages I just lost it on this 'rebuild' because I was believing we were going to get this generational talent that seems to be slipping through our fingers. Our prospect pool is very deep, I just hope some turn into high end scorers (which odds say some probably will). Not sure what got into me, I'm not sure I've ever had so many consecutive Sabres raged posts in the nearly ten years I've frequented this board.

Just thinking of whata McEicel could do for the rest of our prospects had me on cloud 9. Its like thinking you hit the jackpot 50 mil and actually you only got 5 of the 6 numbers right. A half mil is excellent and even life changing but its still tough knowing what could have been.

Think of it this way. Right now the glass is half full. With McEichel, the glass is full. If we miss them we can still get a glass that is 3/4 full and that's still refreshing.

Think of it this way. Right now the glass is half full. With McEichel, the glass is full. If we miss them we can still get a glass that is 3/4 full and that's still refreshing.

I don't want a 3/4 full glass... I want a cup.

Zemgus, Nikita, Risto, Compher, Fasching, Carrier, DesLauriers all seem to be built for the trenches

Now how many of them are high end talent... how many projected top 6 guys do we have that are built for the trenches? I actually don't have an answer for this one.

I'd add Lemieux in as well, but it's way to hard to know which of these guys will end up being top 6 forwards at the pro level. Many of the guys in our system may end up being bottom 6 forwards if they stick with the big club at all. I guess that's the benefit of having such a stacked cupboard. With all the prospects in our system we only need about half of them to pan out to have a solid team from top to bottom. Hopefully a few of them manage to exceed our hopeful expectations as well.

I was going to jump in and say yes we have that in spades and rattle off a bunch of names but dudacek hit on all of them but Lemieux which Drunkard brought up. I think this next core will be way more tough to play against than the last one.

I like Compher as a potential top 6 at this point along with Grigs likely being second (or really great third) liner. Plus Risto and Zad play tough and they may very well be our future top pairing. We also have a number of tough/gritty players that could fill the third line nicely.

Projection of season's final point totals using fancy stats.

Anti Tankers will be happy as the Sabres are projected to have a 10 Point improvement from last season to 62 pts.

Tankers will be happy as this still projects out to 30th.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2014/12/01/nhl-projected-standings-penguins-and-blackhawks-on-top-islanders-for-real/

Haven't we come to the point where we can safely concede Zemgus will be at least a second-liner?

His work ethic and defensive game are not in dispute.

He's 62nd in the league in goals and a plus player on the league's worst plus-minus team.

He plays in all situations.

And he's only 20 years old.

Haven't we come to the point where we can safely concede Zemgus will be at least a second-liner?

He's 62nd in the league in goals and a plus player on the league's worst plus-minus team.

He definitely could be. I still fall into that (possibly) outdated philosophy that your 3rd line is your defensively sound, hard to play against line that you prefer to match up against the other teams top line though so still like to think of him as our future 3rd line center with the second line being offensively focused and drawing the easier/fewer defensive assignments.

At this point (losing out hope for McEichel) I'd project Reinhart as our top line center, Grigorenko at 2nd line, and Girgensons as our 3rd line center but getting more ice time than our second line on most nights.

If he had a humane shooting percentage, he wouldn't be. I tend to agree he's very likely a top-6 player to the point I'd be very surprised if he falls short...but I don't think it's so cut and dry at this point that people can't question it.

I'm with Drunkard on this in that I'm not ready to concede it if he stays playing center, which I think he should. He very well likely could be a good second liner on a good team though. Time will tell.

Interesting article on Z and didn't know where else to put it. Author sells him short IMO. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/person-of-interest-get-to-know-zemgus-girgensons/