Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

1942. That's pretty cool.

The following is cooler. Rick has sometimes talked about listening to Danny Gallivan, the legendary voice of the Canadiens, when he was growing up. Wow, you can really hear Rick in Danny's calls below, in his last broadcast. "Clears it, not out!" "A scramble in front!" "That hit a leg." "It's all over!" The pacing, the style, the language. It's Rick.

The following is cooler. Rick has sometimes talked about listening to Danny Gallivan, the legendary voice of the Canadiens, when he was growing up. Wow, you can really hear Rick in Danny's calls below, in his last broadcast. "Clears it, not out!" "A scramble in front!" "That hit a leg." "It's all over!" The pacing, the style, the language. It's Rick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCwZO9Sdb8

I love this a lot.

I laughed at this line from Gallivan's Wikipedia page:

"Like many hockey announcers, he would often shout whenever a goal was scored, louder with the Montreal Canadiens. On the down-side, his style was unmodulated, nearly always intense, so that a goal or near-goal towards the end of a 7-1 game sounded very similar to that of a 2-1 game."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Gallivan

The entry also says Gallivan used the expression "nowhere near the net."

This would be a great paper for a broadcasting student to write. "Father of Jeanneret."

The footage with Danny Gallivan is a treasure - thanks for it.

So much strikes me when I watch footage like that. The one that caught me this time: How incredibly poor the coverage of the point shot was on that first goal.

I always note how terrible the goaltending seemed to be.

I always note how terrible the goaltending seemed to be.

The other day I put on 1975 Flyers/Sabres Game 6 (it's in the classic section on Gamecenter). One thing that stood out for me was the passing wasn't that great, lots of pucks off sticks and just plain bad passes.

The other day I put on 1975 Flyers/Sabres Game 6 (it's in the classic section on Gamecenter). One thing that stood out for me was the passing wasn't that great, lots of pucks off sticks and just plain bad passes.

That could have been because of bad ice. The Aud wasn't air conditioned, and it got hot in there, thus the 'fog' games.

Half those guys smoked and drank beer after the game. The game has changed . I'd be surprised if any of them worked out in the offseason.What am I doin ? This has been hashed out countless times already. Carry on.

I am not sure about working out, but I do know that some had to work during the offseason to make ends meet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCwZO9Sdb8

Rick is my favourite for obvious reasons, But Gallivan is the best hockey broadcaster ever.

The pure theatre of his voice.

Haven't seen this popsted yet: Murray, Senators GM, has Stage 4 colon cancer, and is not expected to recover. He's undergoing chemo in the hopes of him buying time, but he says it doesn't look good. Terrible news

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Edited by WildCard

Haven't seen this popsted yet: Murray, Senators GM, has Stage 4 colon cancer, and is not expected to recover. He's undergoing chemo in the hopes of him buying time, but he says it doesn't look good. Terrible news

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Yikes... once it's metastasized that far, there's not much they can do. Hopefully they can maintain as much quality of life as possible for however long he has left. :(

Tim Murray was on TSN 1200 in Canada, they asked about his relationship with his uncle, he (rightly so) got very choked up and spoke about how his uncle is the reason he is in hockey and why he is the GM of the Sabres.

Tim Murray has his dream job as general manager of the Buffalo Sabres, but readily admits there are days when he wishes he was still the assistant GM in Ottawa.

Speaking to TSN 1200 on Friday afternoon, Murray said that since he found out his uncle, Senators general manager Bryan Murray, was diagnosed with cancer in June, there have been moments where he has wondered if he made the right career move in jumping to Buffalo. Murray left the Senators organization midway through last season to take the vacant general manager’s job with the Sabres.

“Sure. I’ve quite frankly have second guessed everything that has gone on since..and [bryan] knows that too,” Tim Murray said. “What’s happened has happened and I’m here, but under different circumstances - certainly if I knew that earlier, I wouldn’t have been very anxious to be out the door. I would have been quite content to know that I would have been his assistant for as long as he wanted.”

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/mendes-with-his-uncle-s-illness-sabres-gm-murray-struggles-with-decision-to-leave-ottawa-1.135325

He also has his EGD and Colonoscopy scheduled for Jan 21st.

Should we refer him to this thread? http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22734-ot-scoping-the-colon-the-reaming-of-pasabrefan/page__hl__colon

Yikes... once it's metastasized that far, there's not much they can do. Hopefully they can maintain as much quality of life as possible for however long he has left. :(

Roswell Park here in Buffalo has a new chemo regimen for Colon Mets to the Liver, hopefully the results will be positive.

If any positive is coming out of this, Brian Murray has said on multiple occasions that if he would have gotten his colonoscopy when he was supposed to, this can have been prevented and he is stressing the importance of anyone over the age of 50 to get one.

Roswell Park here in Buffalo has a new chemo regimen for Colon Mets to the Liver, hopefully the results will be positive.

If any positive is coming out of this, Brian Murray has said on multiple occasions that if he would have gotten his colonoscopy when he was supposed to, this can have been prevented and he is stressing the importance of anyone over the age of 50 to get one.

Liver is one thing, but lung? No bueno.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.