Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I guess we've all forgotten when the NHL playoffs used to be on ESPN and ESPN2

That's bad, too, but at least before they had the new deal with NBC I had access to the playoff games (in rounds 1 and 2) through NHL GameCenter.  Now there are no (legal) non-cable options, which is horsesh!t.

And weren't preempted by AFL.

Seriously, though, ESPN and ESPN2 are pretty widely available.  NBCSN less so.

No, they just cancelled the last two years of their contract so they could air f#####g Texas Hold'em instead. ugh.

People can complain all they want, and I'm not just saying this because I get paid by them, but I have seen more playoff hockey in the past three years since NBC took over than I have in a long time. I have no complaints.

That's bad, too, but at least before they had the new deal with NBC I had access to the playoff games (in rounds 1 and 2) through NHL GameCenter.  Now there are no (legal) non-cable options, which is horsesh!t.

Kids these days. They think they should get everything for free, movies, music, sports,... When I didn't have cable or the internet, I used to drive an hour into the city and meet my friends at a bar to watch the games. I may be a dirty hippie, but I'm also a capitalist. They have a product that you don't pay for so you don't get it. It's hard to find issue with that.

No, they just cancelled the last two years of their contract so they could air f#####g Texas Hold'em instead. ugh.

People can complain all they want, and I'm not just saying this because I get paid by them, but I have seen more playoff hockey in the past three years since NBC took over than I have in a long time. I have no complaints.

Kids these days. They think they should get everything for free, movies, music, sports,... When I didn't have cable or the internet, I used to drive an hour into the city and meet my friends at a bar to watch the games. I may be a dirty hippie, but I'm also a capitalist. They have a product that you don't pay for so you don't get it. It's hard to find issue with that.

I'm not upset that I don't get something for free; I'm upset that they can't find a way to let me pay for that product (outside of an absurd cable TV package that includes other things I neither want nor need).  A capitalist should explore as many ways as possible to let people pay for their product, but NBC is perfectly content to let us all rot because they're in bed with the cable companies.

(And when I had playoff round 1 and 2 game access through NHL GCL and/or CI, I PAID FOR IT.)

Edited by biodork

Short of getting a different cable system, there is no way to pay for it.  Even through the NHL's own subscription site. 

Edited by X. Benedict

This is the way I feel. Not just NHL, but NBC did a pretty good job with the Olympics in airing games on MSNBC and NBCSN. I hope they make a go of it and it works for them. No other big names in broadcasting are breaking down the NHL boardroom doors to get the rights to  broadcast games.

Short of getting a different cable system, there is no way to pay for it.  Even through the NHL's own subscription site. 

Exactly.  The same price I paid for the NHL's subscription once included rounds 1 and 2 of playoff access, but now the price is the same and I've lost that access with no other way to purchase it.  It's like when food marketers drop their pack sizes and leave the price the same, hoping you wouldn't notice you're now paying the same $ for 10 oz of cereal when you used to get 12 oz.

I'm not upset that I don't get something for free; I'm upset that they can't find a way to let me pay for that product (outside of an absurd cable TV package that includes other things I neither want nor need).  A capitalist should explore as many ways as possible to let people pay for their product, but NBC is perfectly content to let us all rot because they're in bed with the cable companies.

(And when I had playoff round 1 and 2 game access through NHL GCL and/or CI, I PAID FOR IT.)

t1559.gif

This is the way I feel. Not just NHL, but NBC did a pretty good job with the Olympics in airing games on MSNBC and NBCSN. I hope they make a go of it and it works for them. No other big names in broadcasting are breaking down the NHL boardroom doors to get the rights to  broadcast games.

That's BS. Seems like in 2012 NBC had daytime Olympics coverage on NBC in addition to its hench-networks. In 2014, NBC had f'n soap operas on during the day.

Exactly.  The same price I paid for the NHL's subscription once included rounds 1 and 2 of playoff access, but now the price is the same and I've lost that access with no other way to purchase it.  It's like when food marketers drop their pack sizes and leave the price the same, hoping you wouldn't notice you're now paying the same $ for 10 oz of cereal when you used to get 12 oz.

Now this is the fight that makes sense. :) The quasi-legal (or maybe not really) is to borrow someone's cable login to watch the streamed games online.

Oh, and for Saturdays: HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA.

That's BS. Seems like in 2012 NBC had daytime Olympics coverage on NBC in addition to its hench-networks. In 2014, NBC had f'n soap operas on during the day.

Now this is the fight that makes sense. :) The quasi-legal (or maybe not really) is to borrow someone's cable login to watch the streamed games online.

Oh, and for Saturdays: HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA.

Agreed on the 2014 Olympics; I couldn't believe how little of it was on regular NBC.

As to the bolded:  I've definitely done this, but as more of my friends/family cancel their cable subscriptions, I'm running out of (legal) options!

For those arguing about games being aired or not being aired, this is why the league needs Florida teams, phoenix, and other teams in the league to succeed. Networks aren't going to spend the money to aquire the rights to the NHL in the us if it's only something of interest to part of the country. They need widespread interest.

In Canada, I don't think there was a playoff game not televised here on cable without needing a premium package. Why? Because the networks fought over the rights to games because the entire country is interested in the sport

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.