Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Eric Johnson filing for bankruptcy, his parents appear to be a major part of the problem.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/20/blind-sided.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Jack Johnson is apparently an idiot. How do you not know where your money is going?

Jack Johnson is apparently an idiot. How do you not know where your money is going?

I love how the story starts out with Johnson parking his Ferrari and driving his BMW to the courthouse. Hard to feel sorry for him. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I love how the story starts out with Johnson parking his Ferrari and driving his BMW to the courthouse. Hard to feel sorry for him. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Really? Maybe you should read further down where it talks about him being frugal and the Ferrari being the one extravagance he bought for himself when he landed the contract. And a BMW is chump-change for him. Based on the quoted salary in the piece, he could probably pay it off with one month's salary. To put that in perspective, if you're making $60k/year that's like buying a $5000 car. Big chz, there.

I can tell you this: if I suddenly had $30m coming in, despite being mildly frugal, there'd be something stupid I'd buy too. It wouldn't be a Ferrari, but something.

Because you're 20 and you trust your parents.

I love my parents and they both do financial stuff for a living, but if millions of dollars are not sitting in my accounts and other investments making me money, then I want to know where that stuff is.

A five year old can tell when his piggy bank isn't getting more full by shaking it. What the heck was Jack Johnson doing?

I love my parents and they both do financial stuff for a living, but if millions of dollars are not sitting in my accounts and other investments making me money, then I want to know where that stuff is.

A five year old can tell when his piggy bank isn't getting more full by shaking it. What the heck was Jack Johnson doing?

According to the article, they were lying to him. He had no reason to believe there wasn't millions in his account and investments making money.

Also, they followed him to Shattucks then UM then LA. That seems a little sheltered to me, Having mom and dad 5 minutes away well into adulthood.

According to the article, they were lying to him. He had no reason to believe there wasn't millions in his account and investments making money.

Also, they followed him to Shattucks then UM then LA. That seems a little sheltered to me, Having mom and dad 5 minutes away well into adulthood.

I don't buy it. Dude can't check his accounts on his own? I can go on the M&T website right now and see that I don't have $6million in the bank. Why couldn't he?

I don't buy it. Dude can't check his accounts on his own? I can go on the M&T website right now and see that I don't have $6million in the bank. Why couldn't he?

It happens all the time. They hand off control of their stuff to someone they think will take good care of it, only to find out much later that they're screwed. It's not new, especially in the hockey world. Just look how much Alan Eagleson took from people who trusted him.

Because you're 20 and you trust your parents.

He's 27 now and signed over power of attorney to his mother in 2011 -- when he would have been 24. Who signs over their power of attorney to anyone at that age?

He's an idiot, but it's not his fault. His parents are complete scum. It's borderline child-abuse to raise a kid so wildly unprepared for life as an adult. Your main job as a parent is to make sure your child is developing into someone who can survive and succeed in the world on their own. It's like they just wanted to breed a hockey player to make some cash in the long run. And then they blatantly stole from him and abused that relationship.

The worst part about the article is that Johnson has a 16 year old brother still living with his lunatic parents.

It happens all the time. They hand off control of their stuff to someone they think will take good care of it, only to find out much later that they're screwed. It's not new, especially in the hockey world. Just look how much Alan Eagleson took from people who trusted him.

I guess I was raised better. It amazes me that people just cannot keep track of their money.

It amazes me that parents would take advantage of their child like this. What kind of people are these parents? Aren't parents supposed to help their children out of financial problems, not drive them into financial ruin?

Pseudo-celebrity boxing: The Johnsons in a tag match vs Lindsay Lohan's parents.

It amazes me that parents would take advantage of their child like this. What kind of people are these parents? Aren't parents supposed to help their children out of financial problems, not drive them into financial ruin?

Pseudo-celebrity boxing: The Johnsons in a tag match vs Lindsay Lohan's parents.

People are stupid, impatient, and greedy. The parents could have simply been happy with the money they were apparently going to share in (which is plenty for anyone to live comfortably off) but they had to have more money and now. I'm surprised they didn't go to J. G. Wentworth.

lisa dillman@reallisa 1m1 minute ago

Breaking news: From DA spokesperson: Just filed felony case against Slava Voynov. Charged w/one felony count of corporal injury to spouse.

If convicted I can't imagine he'll be playing in the NHL for a while. And that's secondary now. I'm really glad that these leagues are stepping up. Far too late, but hopefully they become swift and consistent in their punishment.

If convicted I can't imagine he'll be playing in the NHL for a while. And that's secondary now. I'm really glad that these leagues are stepping up. Far too late, but hopefully they become swift and consistent in their punishment.

There is a fine line somewhere between accusation and proof, and I don't pretend to know where it is or should be drawn, but I am glad that leagues are taking it seriously. I also hope that they are seriously investigating prior to imposing discipline.

Edited by Eleven

There is a fine line somewhere between accusation and proof, and I don't pretend to know where it is or should be drawn, but I am glad that leagues are taking it seriously. I also hope that they are seriously investigating prior to imposing discipline.

Well he's been suspended through the entire process, and it'll remain that way (I assume) through the trial. If he is convicted there's a strong chance he's deported... Not to mention any NHL suspension.

Well he's been suspended through the entire process, and it'll remain that way (I assume) through the trial. If he is convicted there's a strong chance he's deported... Not to mention any NHL suspension.

He may well never play again. BTW, the line I mentioned earlier is somewhere between Michael Irvin (false accusation) on the one hand and Ray Rice (evidence was publicly available) on the other. I have no idea where to draw it.

Canadiens Montréal @CanadiensMTL

Canadiens acquire defenseman Bryan Allen from the Anaheim Ducks, in return for forward Rene Bourque. Details-­> goha.bs/1t8Ewgr

The Habs, one of the best teams in the NHL, just picked up two solid NHL dmen for their scrap forwards.

Edmonton Oilers

@EdmontonOilers

TRADE --> #Oilers acquire centre Kellan Lain (@klain19) from @VanCanucks in exchange for centre Will Acton. pic.twitter.com/fOmO2EIx8m

Edited by Tankalicious

I feel bad for the guy and this has been going on for ages. In 1939 CA passed the child actor law after the parents of Jackie Coogan went through his money.

I've also seen it personally when a good friend lost her husband to a drunk driver while he was driving for his work. Doing the math, this was approximately 25 years ago and after going through the insurance process she was awarded roughly $500,000. Now if invested properly she would be good for the rest of her life. But no, she gave her Mom POA and a debit card and her parents over a 10 year span cleaned her out. She offered my sister $10,000 right of the bat and she refused. Now, she and her daughter (next relationship) live in a trailer while her parents live in a house on a river. My sister regrets now not taking that $10,000 and investing it for her. She still talks to her parents.

He trusted them and he didn't know better.

Edited by Jeanbe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.