Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Rangers hated us pretty well during that time, too. And definitely the Flyers.

Yeah, I forgot Philly. That '06 loss was hard on them.

Did the Rags hate us? I remember intense playoff games, but it was the playoffs. They are all intense. I don't recall any hate there.

the worst thing that ever happened to the Boston-Buffalo rivalry was Boston becoming mediocre for a good period of time. Other than *very* briefly after Lucic-Miller that rivalry never resumed its prior intensity.

The worst thing that happened to that one and many other rivalries in the league was the removal of the division rounds of the playoffs. Pretty much all rivalries in this league were born out of teams facing each other in the playoffs. I bet we wouldn't be able to mention too many rivalries right now that weren't based on a prior playoff matchup. That or Canadian vs. Candian matchups.

Yeah, I forgot Philly. That '06 loss was hard on them.

Did the Rags hate us? I remember intense playoff games, but it was the playoffs. They are all intense. I don't recall any hate there.

The Rangers didn't hate us. We hated them. Jagr owned us when he was there. They knew they were better than us.

The girl that Semyon Varlamov likely/allegedly assaulted last year is filing a $1M lawsuit for the multiple times he abused her from 2012-2014. She claims that she called the police once and they did not arrest him and instead shook his hand and wished him luck in the upcoming season.

No love for Michael Peca?

Best in-game sign ever (sometime in and around the building change): Mike Peca is Bigger than Your Peca.

To ink's point, and it was a good one, I think May is the last player we had who other teams legitimately feared. That guy in his prime was hell on wheels -- I think his left hand was made of high-density cement.

Peca is an interesting suggestion. He wasn't feared in the same way May was, to be sure, but opposing teams had to account for him and keep their heads up.

Best in-game sign ever (sometime in and around the building change): Mike Peca is Bigger than Your Peca.

To ink's point, and it was a good one, I think May is the last player we had who other teams legitimately feared. That guy in his prime was hell on wheels -- I think his left hand was made of high-density cement.

Peca is an interesting suggestion. He wasn't feared in the same way May was, to be sure, but opposing teams had to account for him and keep their heads up.

I really miss that team. There were some legit gamers on those late 90s squads. The Sabres actually had an "attitude era".

It feels like a long time ago now. :(

I'm reading the autobiography of Derek Sanderson...can't put it down. Came across this clip of Sanderson running Tony O... reminded me of the Lucic-Miller play except Sanderson held up a little and the players were more of equal size. From the old Bruins playbook?

I'm reading the autobiography of Derek Sanderson...can't put it down. Came across this clip of Sanderson running Tony O... reminded me of the Lucic-Miller play except Sanderson held up a little and the players were more of equal size. From the old Bruins playbook?

Josie has this book on the book shelf. She says it's phenomenal. I'm going to have to read it one of these days.

I really miss that team. There were some legit gamers on those late 90s squads. The Sabres actually had an "attitude era".

It feels like a long time ago now. :(

Those teams were fun to watch.

Take one guy off those teams, and we struggle to make the playoffs every year. Take one guy off those teams and we do not enjoy watching them. We have empirical data to show that that guy was not Mike Peca.

Losers don't get to have attitude.

Those teams were fun to watch.

Take one guy off those teams, and we struggle to make the playoffs every year. Take one guy off those teams and we do not enjoy watching them. We have empirical data to show that that guy was not Mike Peca.

Losers don't get to have attitude.

YES.

This whole "intent to blow the whistle" reasoning for calling off a goal is so ridiculous. Glad it is being changed.

Oh, and at Rexall Place in Edmonton they played Fat Bottom Girls by Queen during one of the stoppages. I find that to be awesome.

Edited by Potato

Detroit got absolutely hosed last night on a goaltender interference call that never happened. Almost ridiculous that the rules don't allow for some kind of video review in that situation. Perhaps they could have reviewed it as part of a good goal review since they waived off the goal Detroit scored when Holtby tripped over himself.

Amazing..

Detroit got absolutely hosed last night on a goaltender interference call that never happened. Almost ridiculous that the rules don't allow for some kind of video review in that situation. Perhaps they could have reviewed it as part of a good goal review since they waived off the goal Detroit scored when Holtby tripped over himself.

Amazing..

That was brutal.

So I read Fraser's C'mon Ref and he indicated that perhaps they could have reviewed the goal.

At this juncture, if no penalty was to be assessed, perhaps the expanded responsibilities granted to Video Review this season in rule 38.4 (viii) could be implemented to make the right call? It states that: The video review process shall be permitted to assist the Referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are "good hockey goals")...This would also include situations whereby the Referee stops play or is in the process of stopping the play because he has lost sight of the puck and it is subsequently determined by video review that the puck crosses (or has crossed) the goal line and enters the net as the culmination of a continuous player where the result was unaffected by the whistle (i.e., the timing of the whistle was irrelevant to the puck entering the net as the end of a continuous play.)

There was a potential goal scored. The only problem was they blew the whistle upon Detroit touching it so they believed no goal was scored. Still, I would have reviewed it. Oh well. Two years in a row Detroit is involved in a crazy goal situation. Last year they were the beneficiaries of the puck of the mesh back into play and through Quick's legs.

At least we have the butt goal still right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.