Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

What was Colorado doing on that play ? Last year we talked about players eventually quitting on a screamer like Roy. Has it already happened ?

Subban had just come out of the box and the puck was on its way because Montreal had cleared it. One defenseman did catch up with him, but, as GCoE notes, he skated right into the post.

Nichushkin sent to the IR for a groin injury. Hurts the Stars, but somewhere Lindy's smiling that he doesn't have to play another young Russian

The Dallas Stars placed forward Valeri Nichushkin (groin) on injured reserve and recalled defenseman Jyrki Jokipakka from Texas of the American Hockey League, the team announced Sunday.

Nichushkin, 19, hasn't played since Oct. 11 and is pointless in two games with a minus-1 rating. He scored 14 goals and 34 points in 79 games as a rookie last season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=735259&navid=nhl:topheads

Chris Johnston

The NHL has suspended #LAKings defenceman Slava Voynov indefinitely following his arrest on a domestic violence charge.

Oh that's how you are supposed to handle issues like this... take note NFL.

Before we get too holier than thou, let's remember that Varlamov was not suspended last season. The NHL is learning from the NFL's mistake; it is not ahead of the curve.

Chris Johnston

The NHL has suspended #LAKings defenceman Slava Voynov indefinitely following his arrest on a domestic violence charge.

McNabb has been playing a simple game for LA. He'll get more minutes. Voynov gets a lot of minutes. That's a lot off speed off their back end.

Chris Johnston

I mean they probably did this because of what happened in the NFL... They didn't exactly respond when Varlamov was arrested.

Yes, I know this is a knee-jerk reaction with little (read: no) knowledge of the facts....BUT FOR ###### SAKE DON'T LAY HANDS ON WOMEN/CHILDREN HOW ###### HARD IS THIS!?!?!

For real.

And the Varlamov situation turned out to be nothing. Good thing they didn't suspend him.

The NHL should form its own identity and not take after (or improve on) somebody else's mistakes. Hey Gary I've got news for you......... THIS ISN'T THE NFL!

I think if there is enough evidence for you to be arrested, you should be suspended with pay pending the investigation.

And the Varlamov situation turned out to be nothing. Good thing they didn't suspend him.

The NHL should form its own identity and not take after (or improve on) somebody else's mistakes. Hey Gary I've got news for you......... THIS ISN'T THE NFL!

Actually, the general thoughts on the Varlamov deal was that he did beat her but she went for kidnapping charges when it just wasn't that.

I think if there is enough evidence for you to be arrested, you should be suspended with pay pending the investigation.

Fair enough. But I don't think there was enough evidence at the time the suspension was handed out. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'd be pissed if my workplace reputation was discredited by a suspension or firing because I got charged with something that didn't happen.

Then again the NHL isn't a 40 hour job and the players did agree to the suspension guidelines that were used regardless of what 'innocent until proven guilty' means.

Fair enough. But I don't think there was enough evidence at the time the suspension was handed out. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know I'd be pissed if my workplace reputation was discredited by a suspension or firing because I got charged with something that didn't happen.

Then again the NHL isn't a 40 hour job and the players did agree to the suspension guidelines that were used regardless of what 'innocent until proven guilty' means.

If I was arrested for domestic violence I would immediately be placed on leave without pay so I think Voynov has a pretty good deal going.

To your second point, you are exactly correct. He agreed to those terms when he signed a contract and the NHL did exactly what they should have.

If I was arrested for domestic violence I would immediately be placed on leave without pay so I think Voynov has a pretty good deal going.

To your second point, you are exactly correct. He agreed to those terms when he signed a contract and the NHL did exactly what they should have.

And I don't agree with you getting put on leave either.

If the NHL is so certain he did something wrong, suspend him without pay. If they're not certain he shouldn't be suspended. Yes, it's in the contract and it's a judgment call. But it's a bad judgment.

That's just my two cents. ;)

Bruins' Miller out indefinitely after dislocating his shoulder on Sat. night:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/20/bruins-miller-out-indefinitely-after-dislocating-shoulder-in-fight/

Not sure whether that happened during the fight with Deslauriers or if he just landed badly when they hit the ice.

http://prohockeytalk...ulder-in-fight/

Not sure whether that happened during the fight with Deslauriers or if he just landed badly when they hit the ice.

I think it was the ice. Ouch. Except for that, props to deslauriers, Miller is a tough customer. I gave Miller a slight edge in the actual fight.

http://prohockeytalk...ulder-in-fight/

I did find this tweets by Amalie Benjamin a Bruins Beat Reporter amusing.

Amalie Benjamin @AmalieBenjamin · Oct 18

Kevan Miller's first bout of the season. Didn't players learn not to fight him last year?

Followed by

So apparently you shouldn't fight Kevan Miller because he will get injured

Edited by BRAWNDO

53% of domestic violence is done by women, 70% is initiated by women.

1) I'm very confident those numbers are either completely inaccurate, or compiled in a way that renders them invalid.

2) So what? "Women do bad things too!" really isn't a rebuttal to my "don't touch women/children" comment. Misdirection at its finest (or worst, depending on perspective).

1) I'm very confident those numbers are either completely inaccurate, or compiled in a way that renders them invalid.

2) So what? "Women do bad things too!" really isn't a rebuttal to my "don't touch women/children" comment. Misdirection at its finest (or worst, depending on perspective).

Heimdall is not from the US. Let's take a breather.

Your first point can be said by any statistic.

Secondly, i had an abusive father untill i was 6, so I am all for the don't touch women/children. Just saying often domestic violence isn't as clearcut as it often looks.

I have two buddies who had abusive girlfriends in their life, try not hitting a women when she is physically hurting you, and for some men mental triggers are enough.

Probably shouldn't have thrown those numbers out there , don't really feel like a debate over this anyways.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.