Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

I'm curious why. 

If it was the case then why did PLF sign a NDA when he resigned?   Why not just come out and say... "..due to ongoing health issues as a result of the multiple concussions I've received throughout my career, I'm stepping down as President of hockey operations with the Buffalo Sabres".    This also raises awareness about concussions, etc...   

But that's not what happened.    He resigned (was forced to?) and signed a NDA which prevents him from talking about his reason for leaving the club.

If it was the case then why did PLF sign a NDA when he resigned?   Why not just come out and say... "..due to ongoing health issues as a result of the multiple concussions I've received throughout my career, I'm stepping down as President of hockey operations with the Buffalo Sabres".    This also raises awareness about concussions, etc...   

But that's not what happened.    He resigned (was forced to?) and signed a NDA which prevents him from talking about his reason for leaving the club.

It's possible that LaFontaine is embarrassed by his condition, that he's the one who wanted the NDA, and that the NDA is mutual, isn't it?

Still, I do want to know how he was able to coach Bailey's team.

If it was the case then why did PLF sign a NDA when he resigned? Why not just come out and say... "..due to ongoing health issues as a result of the multiple concussions I've received throughout my career, I'm stepping down as President of hockey operations with the Buffalo Sabres". This also raises awareness about concussions, etc...

But that's not what happened. He resigned (was forced to?) and signed a NDA which prevents him from talking about his reason for leaving the club.

He probably didn't want to burn his bridges with the league. They hired him back didn't they?

It's possible that LaFontaine is embarrassed by his condition, that he's the one who wanted the NDA, and that the NDA is mutual, isn't it?

Still, I do want to know how he was able to coach Bailey's team.

Why would he be embarrassed by his condition?     It just doesn't add up.   The Miller trade, teardown of the team, etc...  

IMO, it's more likely PLF disagreed with the direction of the team, and instead of causing an uproar by protesting the trades, and ultimately being fired, he takes a cash deal to resign quietly and ride of into the sunset.    Pegula likely didn't want the black-eye of having to fire a fan favorite, so he talked PLF into resigning, probably gave him a large cash bonus, which ended up with an NDA.    

OK, so I met and hung out with a friend-of-a-friend a few days ago (at a tour of a whisky production facility, but that's another story).  The guy has gotten to know the Pegulas over the past few years.

Anyway, the guy I met -- who seems like a pretty good guy -- said that at one point he asked TP what happened with PLF.  TP's response was that PLF is still suffering from his concussions.  He has outbursts of erratic behavior and periodically has to lie down in his office with the lights off.  The implication was that PLF simply isn't capable of conducting himself in a professional way over a sustained period.

The guy also said that the Pegulas are really terrific, salt-of-the-earth types. 

Just some info that I thought would be interesting.

This is all very believable. I just don't think it is the primary reason why PLF "walked away/was fired" from his position with the Sabres.

Why would he be embarrassed by his condition?     It just doesn't add up.   The Miller trade, teardown of the team, etc...  

IMO, it's more likely PLF disagreed with the direction of the team, and instead of causing an uproar by protesting the trades, and ultimately being fired, he takes a cash deal to resign quietly and ride of into the sunset.    Pegula likely didn't want the black-eye of having to fire a fan favorite, so he talked PLF into resigning, probably gave him a large cash bonus, which ended up with an NDA.    

Seems like a very natural reaction to me. Even it it was because I had been in a car accident or something I wouldn't want people talking about me like "oh, sometimes he goes postal and gets mad about nothing". People are embarrassed about medical things that they have no control over all the time.

Based on this new information I think I can create a hypothetical story as to what happened.

I think PLF does his damnedest to keep his continued concussion issues under wraps. Pegula is told by him that he's okay for the most part and thus is hired. As time goes on Pegula notices the problem PLF is having and may have even offered to help him by adding a mattress or something to assist him. While bristled, PLF chooses not to accept the assistance. Time goes on and the hiring of GMTM occurs. GMTM states he'll think about extending Miller but under specific contractual barriers. He won't pay him 6mil a year or sign him in through his 40th birthday. PLF thus sets off to convince Miller while GMTM works on his plan with or without Miller and taking into account how stripped the team was already. Miller wants something close to the 6mil mark and GMTM refuses, PLF angered storms off to try again. The day of the trade GMTM explains in front of his staff and PLF his reasoning and plans going forward with evidence to back it. Later that day GMTM bangs out the Miller/Ott trade and gives PLF/staff a heads up and sends Battista to tell Nolan not to start them. PLF is angered but chooses to merely to watch the game; however the interview with Miller lights a fire under PLF and he angrily calls a staff meeting after the game. PLF gives a tirade to the staff including GMTM about not giving him further notice,GMTM states the deal was far to good to pass up and that in his time within other organizations the GM is given that right, to make a call with time of the essence. PLF schedules meeting with Pegulas, snaps at some point and the TP tells him to calm down. PLF decides to resign, so Pegula chooses to put the info under wraps for the sake of all parties and PLF goes back to the NHL job he had.    

Based on this new information I think I can create a hypothetical story as to what happened.

I think PLF does his damnedest to keep his continued concussion issues under wraps. Pegula is told by him that he's okay for the most part and thus is hired. As time goes on Pegula notices the problem PLF is having and may have even offered to help him by adding a mattress or something to assist him. While bristled, PLF chooses not to accept the assistance. Time goes on and the hiring of GMTM occurs. GMTM states he'll think about extending Miller but under specific contractual barriers. He won't pay him 6mil a year or sign him in through his 40th birthday. PLF thus sets off to convince Miller while GMTM works on his plan with or without Miller and taking into account how stripped the team was already. Miller wants something close to the 6mil mark and GMTM refuses, PLF angered storms off to try again. The day of the trade GMTM explains in front of his staff and PLF his reasoning and plans going forward with evidence to back it. Later that day GMTM bangs out the Miller/Ott trade and gives PLF/staff a heads up and sends Battista to tell Nolan not to start them. PLF is angered but chooses to merely to watch the game; however the interview with Miller lights a fire under PLF and he angrily calls a staff meeting after the game. PLF gives a tirade to the staff including GMTM about not giving him further notice,GMTM states the deal was far to good to pass up and that in his time within other organizations the GM is given that right, to make a call with time of the essence. PLF schedules meeting with Pegulas, snaps at some point and the TP tells him to calm down. PLF decides to resign, so Pegula chooses to put the info under wraps for the sake of all parties and PLF goes back to the NHL job he had.    

It's as possible as anything else, I'll say that.

Why would someone be embarrassed if what was written earlier was true?  Imagine yourself as an owner looking for a team owner.  You're about to hire a president or other big time hockey ops role.  You are deciding between two hall of famers with very similar qualifications.  For the sake of this example, I'll go with LaFontaine and Brendan Shanahan.  Say their backgrounds look identical, but one guy has these stories of head issues and the other doesn't.  Who are you going to hire?

Why would someone be embarrassed if what was written earlier was true?  Imagine yourself as an owner looking for a team owner.  You're about to hire a president or other big time hockey ops role.  You are deciding between two hall of famers with very similar qualifications.  For the sake of this example, I'll go with LaFontaine and Brendan Shanahan.  Say their backgrounds look identical, but one guy has these stories of head issues and the other doesn't.  Who are you going to hire?

It's also questionably illegal to comment on someone's health issues without their consent.

OK, so I met and hung out with a friend-of-a-friend a few days ago (at a tour of a whisky production facility, but that's another story).  The guy has gotten to know the Pegulas over the past few years.

Anyway, the guy I met -- who seems like a pretty good guy -- said that at one point he asked TP what happened with PLF.  TP's response was that PLF is still suffering from his concussions.  He has outbursts of erratic behavior and periodically has to lie down in his office with the lights off.  The implication was that PLF simply isn't capable of conducting himself in a professional way over a sustained period.

The guy also said that the Pegulas are really terrific, salt-of-the-earth types. 

Just some info that I thought would be interesting.

Can we get back to the more important part of your post  - the tour of a whiskey production facility?  I still don't see a post in the whiskey thread.

With Post Concussion Syndrome PLF probably was very moody and prone to outbursts. As PI mentioned, when the management did not agree with PLF on the direction that the team should be going, his outbursts were probably more frequent and intense, particularly after Miller was not re-signed as he wanted. The Pegulas realized for the good of the organization it was time to move on.

On a side note, when I was working the combine a contingent of Sabres Brass walked by, Battista stopped walked over and thanked us for coming out to help. I do not think he is qualified to be anywhere near hockey ops, but he does generally does seem like a nice guy.

I probably need to change my avatar to a scarlet B don't I?

With Post Concussion Syndrome PLF probably was very moody and prone to outbursts. As PI mentioned, when the management did not agree with PLF on the direction that the team should be going, his outbursts were probably more frequent and intense, particularly after Miller was not re-signed as he wanted. The Pegulas realized for the good of the organization it was time to move on.

On a side note, when I was working the combine a contingent of Sabres Brass walked by, Battista stopped walked over and thanked us for coming out to help. I do not think he is qualified to be anywhere near hockey ops, but he does generally does seem like a nice guy.

I probably need to change my avatar to a scarlet B don't I?

Dammit, they got to Brawndo

I fully believe that is what Pegs told this source, but as someone else pointed out, this explanation is incredibly self-serving and one-sided. "Erratic behavior"? He's suffering from "post-concussion syndrome"? Sound more like sour grapes than a rational explanation of why he left. PLF could have called a pressed and just said "being a GM/whatever just isn't for me, so I'm stepping down". Instead, the whole event was shrouded in mystery and PLF didn't speak until a week later. Then there's the whole thing with Nolan getting his panties in a bunch. I don't see Nolan freaking out if PLF truly had to step down for health reasons.

That said, PLF has done this before, so maybe he really is just a nut case. I also find it ironic history repeated itself with Nolan, but everyone expected him to be different this time. I'm glad we've moved on.

Edited by kas23

I fully believe that is what Pegs told this source, but as someone else pointed out, this explanation is incredibly self-serving and one-sided. "Erratic behavior"? He's suffering from "post-concussion syndrome"? Sound more like sour grapes than a rational explanation of why he left. PLF could have called a pressed and just said "being a GM/whatever just isn't for me, so I'm stepping down". Instead, the whole event was shrouded in mystery and PLF didn't speak until a week later. Then there's the whole thing with Nolan getting his panties in a bunch. I don't see Nolan freaking out if PLF truly had to step down for health reasons.

That said, PLF has done this before, so maybe he really is just a nut case. I also find it ironic history repeated itself with Nolan, but everyone expected him to be different this time. I'm glad we've moved on.

Yes but there's an equally plausible other side.  They let him go and didn't leak anything about it, and they've shown no problem leaking. 

I think if the story is true they just let him go and didn't make a fuss about it. And we didn't hear anything about PLF being screwed over by his camp. 

The whole story is shrouded in mystery, but PLF has been canned twice, there's got to be more going on. 

History didn't repeat itself with Nolan. Two extremes in either direction. In the first case he walked because he was offered a short deal after winning the Jack Adams in the second he was fired. His coaching style was largely the same but as to the reasons for leaving town night and day. 

Edited by bunomatic

Just thinking about CTE from multiple concussions. It is a progressive disease with a cluster of  symptoms, which  (in a cruel irony in this case), is a decrease in executive functions,  emotional control and propensity to rage and abrupt mood swings,  especially in those that reach their late 40's and early 50's. 

Edited by X. Benedict

• 6 months later...

This eluded my attention over the weekend, but here it is from a short piece Bucky did on PLF visiting HarborCenter to watch his son play.

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2016/01/17/a-pair-of-lafontaines-answer-the-call/

"My read, based on numerous conversations with people close to the situation: LaFontaine was building a front office that excluded certain Pegula underlings such as Black and Joe Battista. They felt threatened by his power, feared for their futures and used petty office politics to drive a wedge between LaFontaine and Kim Pegula.

The whole thing was asinine, childish and unnecessary. LaFontaine was polite but said little when asked about his exit Saturday.

“It’s been pretty well-documented,” he said. “Do I wish I was here? You know, I came here with a big intention. I’m really enjoying being at the National Hockey League. I enjoyed the time here even though it was short. I did enjoy it. I was happy to see things go in a certain direction as far as the focus and the energy.”"

What doesn't seem to square with Bucky's take: The Pegulas have moved on from Black and Battista. I'm also not sure why he's pinning the falling-out on Mrs. Pegula.

Oh, yes. As for Mrs. Pegula, I'd sorta forgotten that Bucky has an axe to grind:

Some people have become wary of Kim Pegula. According to several current employees, Kim runs the Sabres while Terry is behind the scenes. Their basic message, added up: Terry is a good man but naïve; Kim has a controlling personality and is not as sweet as she comes across.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/09/09/bucky-gleason-pegulas-put-a-civic-win-in-the-book/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.