Sabres claim Zenon Konopka

Two or less

Superstars don't need to fight. Who wants to be my Doug Glatt?

Laflamme and Brule need a winger.

Everyone in this thread needs to square off and fight. It's like a virtual bench-clearing brawl in here.

I tried to bring cake.

it sucks to have any idea outside the box, throw it out there and you get met with idiotic responses. you'd think that someone would address this intelligently but apparently not one person. Herd mentality. People like to pick people apart here, it's sad.

I made a crack about Creme Brule'. That shot at humour had nothing to do with you or the player but was an attempt at a play on words in regards to his last name. You misunderstood the intent.

If he could help this offence I'd give him a shot. Heck he'd probably do better than half the scrubs this team has signed.

I made a crack about Creme Brule'. That shot at humour had nothing to do with you or the player but was an attempt at a play on words in regards to his last name. You misunderstood the intent.

If he could help this offence I'd give him a shot. Heck he'd probably do better than half the scrubs this team has signed.

In this unanticipated Hellish Year of S**t. what do we have to lose to give a guy like this a tryout? He was a former top prospect. He's only 28. He's kind of like Omark, at one time big upside but now maybe on his last NHL chance. I get it that his last name is easy pickings ...That's easy. I'm not blaming you for trying to lighten things up. It's been a tough year to be a Sabres fan. But I'd just like a serious discussion sometimes with people who know facts. Apparently nobody knew anything about him.

In this unanticipated Hellish Year of S**t. what do we have to lose to give a guy like this a tryout? He was a former top prospect. He's only 28. He's kind of like Omark, at one time big upside but now maybe on his last NHL chance. I get it that his last name is easy pickings ...That's easy. I'm not blaming you for trying to lighten things up. It's been a tough year to be a Sabres fan. But I'd just like a serious discussion sometimes with people who know facts. Apparently nobody knew anything about him.

No one gives a sh*t about Gilbert Brule. That serious enough?

I don't understand this...why claim Zenon Konopka, who is 31 years old...and not a 23 year old Mattias Tedenby, or a 27 year old Gilbert Brule?

Both were 1st round draft picks. Neither were given much of a chance. Both are on cheap contracts. I know their stats and all that, but they have more potential than Konopka...and it's not like this team is any good. Maybe somebody like Ted Nolan is just what those 2 kids need, to bring out their 1st round potential? Tedenby would be a great addition to Rochester, and Brule would be worth a look-see, at the very least. If not, let him retire.

It is, at the very least, worth picking up the phone.

Wish we could find out...but let's roll with a bunch of veteran goons, and keep trying to hurt our draft position! :doh:

And as far as the talent in Rochester, browsing the stats, it seems the "offensive" players (Catenacci, Armia, Sundher,etc) have not done much of anything. Luke Adam is the only prospect down there that has decent stats. Matt Hackett is nothing special either, it seems.

Would expect the reason being this is how the team was built for a 1 season turnaround the last time Teddy was here. (And truthfully, I believe JM expected year 2 to continue the 'suffering' so he could have brought in Torts in year 3. Didn't quite go down as planned.)

Take a perennially underachieving team, remove the floaters, replace them with some seriously nasty players that will go through a wall for the coach, give the very little bit of established NHL scoring some room, bring in a few talented youngsters (but leave them outnumbered by the 'grit' guys), and maintain stellar goaltending and then hope/expect that the mindset will be different enough by the end of that 1st year that the the team will believe in itself in year 2, enough to actually gel. And that you can remove some of that gristled grit for youth the next year and not only not miss a beat but actually move forward.

That '95-'96 team was horrible on the road, but reasonable at home, and tough to play against regardless by the end of the season.

I expect PLF & TN believe there is some talented youth in the pipeline, but the current team needs an attitude adjustment. That's why they bring in a Konopka. Is the plan the right one? Not enough data to tell, but the team is (for the most part) watchable while they flounder. That was not the case 2 months ago.

excuse me Mr. Know it all.

I agree that some of us can be pretty snarky in our replies, and it can leave others of us wondering what we did to deserve that pariculsr response.

But here's the thing: It's not much different than hanging at the bar and getting your chops busted. Im pretty sure most have smile on their face when posting and would probably buy you a beer after giving you the business.

Try not to take it personally.

Would expect the reason being this is how the team was built for a 1 season turnaround the last time Teddy was here. (And truthfully, I believe JM expected year 2 to continue the 'suffering' so he could have brought in Torts in year 3. Didn't quite go down as planned.)

Take a perennially underachieving team, remove the floaters, replace them with some seriously nasty players that will go through a wall for the coach, give the very little bit of established NHL scoring some room, bring in a few talented youngsters (but leave them outnumbered by the 'grit' guys), and maintain stellar goaltending and then hope/expect that the mindset will be different enough by the end of that 1st year that the the team will believe in itself in year 2, enough to actually gel. And that you can remove some of that gristled grit for youth the next year and not only not miss a beat but actually move forward.

That '95-'96 team was horrible on the road, but reasonable at home, and tough to play against regardless by the end of the season.

I expect PLF & TN believe there is some talented youth in the pipeline, but the current team needs an attitude adjustment. That's why they bring in a Konopka. Is the plan the right one? Not enough data to tell, but the team is (for the most part) watchable while they flounder. That was not the case 2 months ago.

...And YOU get a hug...

I don't know much about the Brule situation, but from afar I think if a guy quits the game in his prime rather than taking a demotion, that says a lot about his character. If you don't have a love of the game and an innate desire to persevere through adversity then everything else is moot - talented or not. I guess Brule was quoted as saying he wants to become a fire fighter, supposedly (?).

After thinking about it, I think I like the Konopka signing. He gives us a great faceoff guy, a true 4th line center (i.e. not another converted winger) and the addition gives us arguably the toughest 4th line in hockey. They don't have a lick of talent, but they sure will intimidate and be hard to play against. Other have mentioned it, but Ted Nolan likes his 4th line to rule the ice through fear and intimidation. :D

I promise you, I will figure out this quote thing if it's the last thing I ever do.

I have been a lurker here for quite some time, and was hesitant to join because of what has been said about the atmosphere.

I get enough drama on facebook, that's why I came looking for something with truly knowledgeable hockey fans. We all bleed blue and gold, correct? So, why jump down eachothers throats? We should be like a family...let the dysfunction take place on the sites of other teams! ;)

Anyways...I have to say Zenon has grown on me a little, with all of this "Hoppy" talk. lol, I think it's hilarious. Reminds me of moving back to NY from Myrtle Beach, SC, with my rescue dog...and all of my belongings stuffed into my little sports car. Quite an adventure to say the least.

(I also did not realize how good he is in the circle...and I love how he "patrols" warm-ups! lol.)

http://www.buffalone...circle-20140104

Thank you for the help, guys (and gals?)...I truly appreciate it. :worthy:

(And speaking of players quitting in their prime...I personally know one who did, Jason Bonsignore. Look up THAT story, if it's out there.)

Take a look at that paperclip looking thing on the upper left of the "reply to this topic" box. Try clicking it, and see if things free up. I have the same problems sometimes. The rest of the reply menu will go blank, but it might work.

YES! My man, you're a genius! lol. Good call, brother...thank you much for the help! :-)

Anybody else point out that the Sabres have made more waiver claims in their two months without a GM than they did in the previous 16 years of having Regier as GM?

I am not sure that is correct...they have claimed 2 players, correct? I can think of one off the top of my head, Matt Ellis from Los Angeles, back in October of 2008, I believe. I think they claimed Joe Finley off waivers, as well. Granted it is more than usual, I will give them that.

But they also have not hit rock bottom like this, to the point where they need to claim bodies just to compile a roster.

In October of 2000, they claimed Peter Skudra from the Bruins, but he was waived about a week later.

***Here is EVERY transaction the Buffalo Sabres have EVER made...

http://www.prosports...arch&start=1225

(So, they have about matched their number of waiver signings with no GM, compared to Regier's tenure.)

(And speaking of players quitting in their prime...I personally know one who did, Jason Bonsignore. Look up THAT story, if it's out there.)

http://oilersnation.com/2011/9/1/an-epic-rant-jason-bonsignore-on-his-failed-days-with-the-edmonton-oilers

Being a fellow Rochestarian, we all know Jason's story too well. Soft player both physically and mentally. He may have succeeded in another organization but it would have taken a supreme amount of coddling. I'm not sure how condusive that would have been to building a team.

For the record, he played until he was 32. He "retired" after bottoming out in the ECHL.

I promise you, I will figure out this quote thing if it's the last thing I ever do.

I have been a lurker here for quite some time, and was hesitant to join because of what has been said about the atmosphere.

I get enough drama on facebook, that's why I came looking for something with truly knowledgeable hockey fans. We all bleed blue and gold, correct? So, why jump down eachothers throats? We should be like a family...let the dysfunction take place on the sites of other teams! ;)

The problem is that too many new posters come freight training into the forum asserting their opinions as fact, using condescending language, acting as if nobody here has a clue as to what is going on. It's happened over and over and over.

So while it may seem that a poster is getting ganged up on, it's really just everyone getting tired of newbs with the same schtick.

http://oilersnation....edmonton-oilers

Being a fellow Rochestarian, we all know Jason's story too well. Soft player both physically and mentally. He may have succeeded in another organization but it would have taken a supreme amount of coddling. I'm not sure how condusive that would have been to building a team.

For the record, he played until he was 32. He "retired" after bottoming out in the ECHL.

The problem is that too many new posters come freight training into the forum asserting their opinions as fact, using condescending language, acting as if nobody here has a clue as to what is going on. It's happened over and over and over.

So while it may seem that a poster is getting ganged up on, it's really just everyone getting tired of newbs with the same schtick.

... :angel: I have no idea what you are talking about

LOL

And it is never their fault. It is the other 30 guys in the room. :doh:

You mean the same schtick us oldbs have? I've never believed in initiation rites, different rules for new posters, etc. The more the merrier. Fast Internet friends.

You mean the same schtick us oldbs have? I've never believed in initiation rites, different rules for new posters, etc. The more the merrier. Fast Internet friends.

There are initiation rites, and then there's being a sniveling prig. When I first got on here I was accused of being someone named, I think, Toddkazz. I didn't shrivel up and get all butthurt, though, and look at me now. every post a gem.

And also why Matt D'Agostini was brought in too.

I'm not here to make friends! I'm here to make people feel bad and to complain!

There are initiation rites, and then there's being a sniveling prig. When I first got on here I was accused of being someone named, I think, Toddkazz. I didn't shrivel up and get all butthurt, though, and look at me now. every post a gem.

You were accused of being Toddkazz?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Archived