Sabres claim Zenon Konopka

Two or less

Unless Konopka is here to replace Scott. We can only hope.

I don't want either of them on the team beyond the end of this season. But, then again, I wouldn't mind having talentless guys like them around for the important tank next season.

Perfect, let's do it.

Do it. Helps feed tank nation due to the injuries resulting in long stretches off the roster he will surely bring. Helps feed the salary floor next year at least.

I am a huge Danny Briere fan but I don't see him as being reasonable to aquire if we have to give MTL anything really. They don't want him apparently. I don't want to give them anything for him. Screw MTL. Unless we are talking about something bigger in a deal.

Pacciorety and Briere for Enis and a 5th? And Leino lol!

Unless Konopka is here to replace Scott. We can only hope.

I was thinking this same thing. My only hope is that the NHL actually lets him play, unlike what they've done to Scott.

I find it funny that the NHL wants to keep fighting in the game,… but if you're too good at it they run you out of the league.

I was thinking this same thing. My only hope is that the NHL actually lets him play, unlike what they've done to Scott.

I find it funny that the NHL wants to keep fighting in the game,… but if you're too good at it they run you out of the league.

It shows how easy it is to replace Scott with someone who can at least bring a little hockey to the rink each night. Scott's problem isn't that he is "too good", it's that he brings nothing else to the rink.

Is this move and the Omark trade an indictment of the talent level we have in Rochester?

It shows how easy it is to replace Scott with someone who can at least bring a little hockey to the rink each night. Scott's problem isn't that he is "too good", it's that he brings nothing else to the rink.

John Scott is tied for 77th in fighting majors this year.

John Scott is 12th on that list for goals per penalty minute.

There are plenty of guys in the league who bring even less to rink, but like you, the NHL has a double standard when it comes to him, and they are allowed to play and he is not. Whatever.

Is this move and the Omark trade an indictment of the talent level we have in Rochester?

Scotts stock is rising under Nolan. He's getting more minutes and more responsibility.

John Scott is tied for 77th in fighting majors this year.

John Scott is 12th on that list for goals per penalty minute.

There are plenty of guys in the league who bring even less to rink, but like you, the NHL has a double standard when it comes to him, and they are allowed to play and he is not. Whatever.

Really? You want to try and defend Scott with numbers? I think you might want to get tested for tin foil poisoning.

Scott is 773rd in the NHL with 6;22 a game in ice time. In those 23 games he has amassed 64 minutes of penalties. Which means for every 6:22 he actually steps out on this ice for you can expect 2.78 of penalties on average.

If you look at the Sabres penalty leaders, you will see McCormick, Ott and Foligno all have more majors than Scott which shows the Sabres have more than enough hockey players that can fill the role that Scott is expected to play. it shows again that this team has no need to continue wasting shifts on a goon.

Really? You want to try and defend Scott with numbers? I think you might want to get tested for tin foil poisoning.

Scott is 773rd in the NHL with 6;22 a game in ice time. In those 23 games he has amassed 64 minutes of penalties. Which means for every 6:22 he actually steps out on this ice for you can expect 2.78 of penalties on average.

If you look at the Sabres penalty leaders, you will see McCormick, Ott and Foligno all have more majors than Scott which shows the Sabres have more than enough hockey players that can fill the role that Scott is expected to play. it shows again that this team has no need to continue wasting shifts on a goon.

I agree with all of this, but that's not my point. My point is that there are guys like Scott all over the NHL, but he is the only one who gets 10 games for a 1st offense or ruffing penalties for just being on the ice or game misconducts because he MIGHT start a fight.

Disagree....the role Scott is meant to play is to fight and win against all competition, as we felt the NHL wouldn't protect our stars. Cody/Ott/Foligno are nothing more than middleweights.

I think it's funny that so much time is devoted to worrying about a guy eating up 5-10 minutes of ice time. Our problem is not having anything close to a first or second line. The fourth line guy we're rolling out there really doesn't matter. Shawn Thornton is always propped up as a "goon" who can play. Look at the stats for him. One 10 goal year that makes everyone believe he can play. Other than that, he's averaging roughly 4 goals in 75 games while getting 8-10 minutes a night. I think if any human being plays that much in a year, odds are that they can chip in 3-5 goals.

I fail to see how Scott is any different than Parros, Boulton, Thornton etc. All are just fourth line players who don't chip in on things like the PK. The only difference is that Scott is the favorite any time they drop the gloves.

I'm not sure it has so much to do with talent level as it does with not gutting Rochester's roster for no good reason. Let the kids down there just worry about playing in Rochester. One team being a mess is plenty.

I'm not sure it has so much to do with talent level as it does with not gutting Rochester's roster for no good reason. Let the kids down there just worry about playing in Rochester. One team being a mess is plenty.

Lets not forget Stafford, Leino, Hodgson, Porter, McCormick are all injured and Amerks Tardif, Zigomanis are also injured. The Sabres have called up Larsson, Adam, Porter, Ellis. I'm sure most teams don't roll more than 5 forwards deeps in their minor affiliate. They could have called up Varone, Catenacci or Armia. Only Varone has shone he may be serviceable at this point.

I don't understand this...why claim Zenon Konopka, who is 31 years old...and not a 23 year old Mattias Tedenby, or a 27 year old Gilbert Brule?

Both were 1st round draft picks. Neither were given much of a chance. Both are on cheap contracts. I know their stats and all that, but they have more potential than Konopka...and it's not like this team is any good. Maybe somebody like Ted Nolan is just what those 2 kids need, to bring out their 1st round potential? Tedenby would be a great addition to Rochester, and Brule would be worth a look-see, at the very least. If not, let him retire.

It is, at the very least, worth picking up the phone.

Wish we could find out...but let's roll with a bunch of veteran goons, and keep trying to hurt our draft position! :doh:

And as far as the talent in Rochester, browsing the stats, it seems the "offensive" players (Catenacci, Armia, Sundher,etc) have not done much of anything. Luke Adam is the only prospect down there that has decent stats. Matt Hackett is nothing special either, it seems.

I don't understand this...why claim Zenon Konopka, who is 31 years old...and not a 23 year old Mattias Tedenby, or a 27 year old Gilbert Brule?

Both were 1st round draft picks. Neither were given much of a chance. Both are on cheap contracts. I know their stats and all that, but they have more potential than Konopka...and it's not like this team is any good. Maybe somebody like Ted Nolan is just what those 2 kids need, to bring out their 1st round potential? Tedenby would be a great addition to Rochester, and Brule would be worth a look-see, at the very least. If not, let him retire. But, it is worth picking up the phone.

Wish we could find out...but let's roll with a bunch of veteran goons, and keep trying to hurt our draft position! :doh:

Well, for one, Brule retired.

I agree with all of this, but that's not my point. My point is that there are guys like Scott all over the NHL, but he is the only one who gets 10 games for a 1st offense or ruffing penalties for just being on the ice or game misconducts because he MIGHT start a fight.

Scott only has the one match penalty, no other game misconducts.

Yes, Brule retired because he did not want to play in the AHL. Playing for the Sabres could possibly change that...it's worth finding out.

But, thanks for such a stellar response, and providing a quality answer.

I knew the "jerk" response would come from you, from what I had seen in the past...thanks for the warm "welcome." :rolleyes:

Archived