Sabres claim Zenon Konopka

Two or less

And also why Matt D'Agostini was brought in too.

There's a lot of hating toward Matt, but he simply puts in his shifts and does the best he can. If some of the more talented players did the same, well.... I think that's what Nolan's trying to foster by bringing in guys like this.

There are initiation rites, and then there's being a sniveling prig. When I first got on here I was accused of being someone named, I think, Toddkazz. I didn't shrivel up and get all butthurt, though, and look at me now. every post a gem.

Man what kind of dick were you?

I am not sure that is correct...they have claimed 2 players, correct? I can think of one off the top of my head, Matt Ellis from Los Angeles, back in October of 2008, I believe. I think they claimed Joe Finley off waivers, as well. Granted it is more than usual, I will give them that.

Islanders claimed Finley off waivers from Buffalo, not the other way around. We signed him to a AHL deal after a training camp tryout.

There's a lot of hating toward Matt, but he simply puts in his shifts and does the best he can. If some of the more talented players did the same, well.... I think that's what Nolan's trying to foster by bringing in guys like this.

Agreed.

And also why Matt D'Agostini was brought in too.

Which is why it was difficult to see the point in the hand wringing about losing Tropp for Matt. Neither should be a part of this team's LT future. And it's not like they would have bought him out had he cleared waivers; they tried to sneak him down to the A and it didn't work. Move on to the next guy.

Umm, We're in Tank Mode here:

@ZenonKonopka

Hoppy has arrived and besides being hungry he can't wait to be Buffalo s lucky charm #hoppylife http://instagram.com/p/i0FAa5kZxo/

This guy...is so f*cking Buffalo it hurts. Polish kid, undrafted, works hard to fight his way into the NHL, and relies on any good luck charm he can come up with to help his teams to success.

I bet he's stoked for Easter.

This guy...is so f*cking Buffalo it hurts. Polish kid, undrafted, works hard to fight his way into the NHL, and relies on any good luck charm he can come up with to help his teams to success.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but he's from Niagara on the Lake.

Would expect the reason being this is how the team was built for a 1 season turnaround the last time Teddy was here. (And truthfully, I believe JM expected year 2 to continue the 'suffering' so he could have brought in Torts in year 3. Didn't quite go down as planned.)

Take a perennially underachieving team, remove the floaters, replace them with some seriously nasty players that will go through a wall for the coach, give the very little bit of established NHL scoring some room, bring in a few talented youngsters (but leave them outnumbered by the 'grit' guys), and maintain stellar goaltending and then hope/expect that the mindset will be different enough by the end of that 1st year that the the team will believe in itself in year 2, enough to actually gel. And that you can remove some of that gristled grit for youth the next year and not only not miss a beat but actually move forward.

That '95-'96 team was horrible on the road, but reasonable at home, and tough to play against regardless by the end of the season.

I expect PLF & TN believe there is some talented youth in the pipeline, but the current team needs an attitude adjustment. That's why they bring in a Konopka. Is the plan the right one? Not enough data to tell, but the team is (for the most part) watchable while they flounder. That was not the case 2 months ago.

Great post. I agree in particular with the bolded parts.

You mean the same schtick us oldbs have? I've never believed in initiation rites, different rules for new posters, etc. The more the merrier. Fast Internet friends.

I completely disagree with the "initiation rites" meme. I don't think I've ever seen an FNG here get criticized for his/her new-ness -- only for the content of his/her posts.

There are initiation rites, and then there's being a sniveling prig. When I first got on here I was accused of being someone named, I think, Toddkazz. I didn't shrivel up and get all butthurt, though, and look at me now. every post a gem.

Very nice.

Good post.

I completely disagree with the "initiation rites" meme. I don't think I've ever seen an FNG here get criticized for his/her new-ness -- only for the content of his/her posts.

Usually the criticism for "newness" comes because of the content of the posts and the poster acting like a jackass/being cocky like they run the place or have been around here for a long time and deserve everyones respect

Which is why it was difficult to see the point in the hand wringing about losing Tropp for Matt. Neither should be a part of this team's LT future. And it's not like they would have bought him out had he cleared waivers; they tried to sneak him down to the A and it didn't work. Move on to the next guy.

Because there was a possibility, however remote, that Tropp could've been part of the LT future. AND I JUST LIKED HIM OKAY?? :bag:

I never got the sense where was an initiation when I joined. Then again, I'm not local to Buffalo anymore and I know I don't know sh!t relative to the stuff all you Buffalo guys see and hear.

New guys usually get reamed if they post a strong opinion... but once they post for a while they're accepted into the "pack" or "pride" or whatever you call it.

I remember getting destroyed back in the day for suggesting that Brian Campbell was much more valuable to the team than the board was giving him credit for!

Archived