GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

Sorry, I just don't see any correlation between goons and actual hockey players that play with an edge.

Didn't say there was one, all I said was as long as the league won't keep the cheapshot artists in check, you need a deterrent.

Whether it be another cheapshot artist or a goon, or someone's who's both.

Kaleta at 2:10

You got me -- that was a bit different, but not much, and certainly a dirty and dangerous move by Kaleta.

right on regarding that, thing is are every team expected every time Scott on ice other teams supposed to react to player in total career has five points, putting valued players in jepordy, keeping in mind three of players involved in line brawl sent down , Leafs coach had choice to try to diffuse situation or react and enable Sabres attempt at standing up for themselves. why on earth would they do that. Clarkson by the way has said he has got calls of respect from players all over the league. Regarding Sabres, get it, Miller beat down and nobody responded, coaches motivation was to show these days over and Scott doing his job, he fighting for a job, Devaine in his tilt with Sabre the same this more about a guy wanting to get a job, in fact both players, in truth injury or no neither make the big team and would have and will be in ahl . imo , Clarkson comes out of this with much respect, Kessel with not much, Sabres not really sure what they gained around the league.

Tropp probably (not definitely) would've made the team IMHO.

What's your respect verdict on Devane?

sorry other teams not going to play this game it transparent as hell. It so basic there is zero cred gained, but more disrespect ...

Buffalo has been the league's bitch for years and years, Miller's been run routinely by other teams. I don't see how they could've been more disrespected than they already were?

I has nothing to do with cred, but a lot to do with simple payback.

And if Scott told Kessel he was coming after him, Kessel probably shouldn't have tried to grab his shoulder before the faceoff.

I'm not saying the Sabres are innocent victims here, but you're pretty much saying Toronto are - They were just as much the reason this whole thing went down the way it did.

You got me -- that was a bit different, but not much, and certainly a dirty and dangerous move by Kaleta.

Tropp probably (not definitely) would've made the team IMHO.

What's your respect verdict on Devane?

he a guy trying to earn spot on big team... fighting for career, however he can as enforcers out, place open for he, much of this a individual thing not a team one, guys trying to get place on team imo

Buffalo has been the league's bitch for years and years, Miller's been run routinely by other teams. I don't see how they could've been more disrespected than they already were?

I has nothing to do with cred, but a lot to do with simple payback.

no you missing it it is about cred. about guys standing up, payback matters little in big picture. got to establish team dynamic of guys having each others back, it how great teams built and composed

he a guy trying to earn spot on big team... fighting for career, however he can as enforcers out, place open for he, much of this a individual thing not a team one, guys trying to get place on team imo

no you missing it it is about cred. about guys standing up, payback matters little in big picture. got to establish team dynamic of guys having each others back, it how great teams built and composed

Not sure I agree, but I understand your point.

Didn't say there was one, all I said was as long as the league won't keep the cheapshot artists in check, you need a deterrent.

Whether it be another cheapshot artist or a goon, or someone's who's both.

Any "deterrent" should also be required to be an actual hockey player. There is nothing wrong with the game being a little chippy at times or even nasty. It can at times really raise the intensity level of the game and can spawn some great rivalries like Colorado and Detroit were in their hay day.

The incident the other night accomplished two things, it embarrassed the Buffalo Sabres and raised the value of Clarkson and Kessel. Kessel showed he has a nasty streak and Clarkson showed he is willing to protect his teammates.

Any "deterrent" should also be required to be an actual hockey player. There is nothing wrong with the game being a little chippy at times or even nasty. It can at times really raise the intensity level of the game and can spawn some great rivalries like Colorado and Detroit were in their hay day.

The incident the other night accomplished two things, it embarrassed the Buffalo Sabres and raised the value of Clarkson and Kessel. Kessel showed he has a nasty streak and Clarkson showed he is willing to protect his teammates.

In a perfect world, yes.

But the the Buffalo Sabres, let alone the world, are far from perfect.

Funny, the Sabres I saw interviewed didn't seem embarrassed at all — pretty comfortable in their own skins and maybe a little bemused by the whole thing.

And how about that Shawn Thornton?

To me, this is a very strange take on the situation. It reeks a little too much of "Sabres-bad, everyone else-good". If Ennis had swung his stick like that (twice) you would have been the first in line to buy your pitchfork and torch.

right on regarding that, thing is are every team expected every time Scott on ice other teams supposed to react to player in total career has five points, putting valued players in jepordy, keeping in mind three of players involved in line brawl sent down , Leafs coach had choice to try to diffuse situation or react and enable Sabres attempt at standing up for themselves. why on earth would they do that. Clarkson by the way has said he has got calls of respect from players all over the league. Regarding Sabres, get it, Miller beat down and nobody responded, coaches motivation was to show these days over and Scott doing his job, he fighting for a job, Devaine in his tilt with Sabre the same this more about a guy wanting to get a job, in fact both players, in truth injury or no neither make the big team and would have and will be in ahl . imo , Clarkson comes out of this with much respect, Kessel with not much, Sabres not really sure what they gained around the league.

Just out of curiosity, if Clarkson gains respect out of this one, what does Kadri get? I'd have to imagine his after the fact tough guy act, "I would have gone out there but...", has to get a bunch of eye rolls around the league. To be about as blunt as possible, he comes across as a little bitch. If people really are watching around the league and give a lot of respect to Clarkson, they should also notice what Kadri had to say.

• A division rival in cap trouble lost a good, expensive player for 1/8th of the season.
  • We are in the heads of a division rival.
  • Opposing Coaches are going to spend some amount of time wondering if we're going to do something totally disproportionate in response. Even if it's only 2 seconds, its a distraction.
  • Our guys are rallying around both the hilarity of the situation and the fact that every man on the ice stood up and did the deed, no one on the sidelines.

These are all good things. I don't care about any perceived embarrassment, and there is no way Clarkson is more valuable at 72 games than 82. Kessel's "Nasty Streak" will scare no-one. He was running away the whole time. 2 luck shots against Flynn will not boost his street cred.

I call ######.

The incident the other night embarrassed Toronto with Kessel's stick swinging and then Calrkson's antics. On top of that all the whining Toronto has done is an embarrassment. Kessel has a stick swinging streak that I am sure other players do not appreciate. Also what about when 2 sabres went to the aid of scott to stop Kessel's stick swinging? What about how the entire team on the ice responded? Some times the narrative people try to spin is such garbage in blows my mind.

To me, this is a very strange take on the situation. It reeks a little too much of "Sabres-bad, everyone else-good". If Ennis had swung his stick like that (twice) you would have been the first in line to buy your pitchfork and torch.

Yes. And that is why I get chirpy with some of the ppl on here because they have so much hate for the Sabres Milan Lucic could break his stick over Miller's head and the Sabres could then beat the crap out of him and Lucic would have been right and the Sabres overreacted.

I love how you're a fan of every team except the Sabres. Your act is tired.

You mean when Sandy McCarthy was an "actual hockey player" in the league?

Toronto isn't the rest of the world.

have you met the fine people of Toronto?

(They will tell you otherwise)

Not exactly, Kessel showed he is a ###### who will take cheapshots when he can and not stand up for himself (just run away and come back to take his shots when the guys tied up).

Clarkson showed that he is willing to severely hurt his team and take a moronic suspension, just to show his "manhood" and how tough he is by jumping into a fight from the bench.

Funny, the Sabres I saw interviewed didn't seem embarrassed at all — pretty comfortable in their own skins and maybe a little bemused by the whole thing.

And how about that Shawn Thornton?

You are arguing with a guy who has been crying about the team needing to be tougher and fight back, then when they do this, is complaining that they shouldn't do it

He wants a team filled with these mythical kinds of players that are few and far between, these tough, physical fighters who are highly skilled hockey players

Exactly. The coaches in the league saw that Rolston just left his line out there and don't have a f##king clue what he was fined for. The entire thinks is a joke and the NHL as always played favoritism. Last time it was Boston, this time Toronto. What do both have in common? Large Media Markets and $$$$$$ coming in.

O wait I should defer to Deluca, the Sabres are embarrassed and the other teams will get them for it. :doh:

Totally expected. How do you define the bounds of classification for poor "player selection." Doesn't that necessarily require some level of prejudice about a player's actions before they take action on the ice? Isn't that asking coaches to be mind readers?

And what constitutes good player selection? Is your player selection influenced by the home team's line change?

I'm not angry, but this is all nonsense.

Archived