GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

Again, multiple media reports Tropp ASKED for the fight. In his career, Tropp has fought Bodie who everyone knows and is 6'5", Jay Leach who is 6'4" 225, Jordan Nolan who is 6'3" 225, Rinaldo multiple times, Sestito who is 6'4".....these guys average close to 100 fights in their careers. That's why I don't care about the moral high ground on this one and can see why Toronto has a beef. Kaleta has slewfooted AND driven his guy to the ice in a fight at least a half dozen times in his career during the same altercation. I can't remember anyone jumping Derek Roy on the next faceoff, especially the biggest guy in the league. I'm the first to call for team toughness and supporting your guys at all costs....and once the donnybrook started, I'm proud of how guys like Flynn and Ruhweedel and especially Miller acted. Once the dam breaks....you do what you have to do. But Scott doing what he did was idiotic and over the top considering it was Cory Friggin Tropp who started the chain of events. It wasn't Hodgson or Ehrhoff in that fight....if it was, then go for it. The fine on Rolston is stupid....but it's the NHL...the group that couldn't even put a schedule together after an 8 month timeframe.

Well, as one who said I don't give a crap, I suppose I should clarify:

- I do indeed care that Tropp is hurt. I like him and what he brings to the lineup -- a bit of skill and a substantial amount of heart and toughness. (I made my statement about not giving a crap before the news broke about his broken jaw.). I'm also relieved that his concussion is apparently not a severe one.

- I also care that -- and am encouraged about -- the Sabres responded immediately to Devane breaking the rules vs Tropp (fighting someone well below his weight class and/or the extra blow(s) at the end of the fight).

- What I really don't give a crap about is the whole "the Leafs broke the code/No, the Sabres broke the code" dispute, and its equally boring cousin, "the NHL punishment was unfair/the Sabres always get shafted/the Leafs always get preferential treatment" airing of grievances.

Gotchya. Thanks for the clarification. Hatchet buried then? :rolleyes:

Ah, I can't wait to move on the words of E5 Toronto is just a nice city up the QEW.... my words... with a loser hockey team... So time for a another preseason game against Columbus and something else to talk about.

Hope so too. Pretty sure it wont be 15 pages on the Columbus game though ;)

I usually feel this way about the Bills during the off season. Just start the damn season already!

Again, multiple media reports Tropp ASKED for the fight.

"Multiple media reports" doesn't matter. One source from the Leafs says Tropp asked for it and one source from the Sabres says Devane instigated it -- which is more consistent with the game situation than the "Tropp asked for it" scenario.

And I've seen Kaleta take plenty of cheap shots, but I've never seen him drive a guy's helmetless head into the ice as the guy was falling backwards helpless.

Gotchya. Thanks for the clarification. Hatchet buried then? :rolleyes:

Yessir!

- What I really don't give a crap about is the whole "the Leafs broke the code/No, the Sabres broke the code" dispute, and its equally boring cousin, "the NHL punishment was unfair/the Sabres always get shafted/the Leafs always get preferential treatment" airing of grievances.

I'm not too interested in the code ramifications either. For me, it all boils down to the stick swinging. That stuff is one of the biggest no-no's in hockey. The league doesn't seem to think so though. I can remember a few other cases where punishment was nearly non-existent for similar incidents. The league does not seem to care too much about intent and I wish they would.

And I've seen Kaleta take plenty of cheap shots, but I've never seen him drive a guy's helmetless head into the ice as the guy was falling backwards helpless.

You have selective memory or a poor catalogue of Sabres games viewed....because he would not only drive the guy to the ice WITH HIS WHOLE BODY, but would cheapshot him with a slewfoot so it was unexpected. He has tempered his turtles and stuff like that the last 2 seasons, but it was a regular move, and one reason why nobody in the NHL has any respect for him...Refs and league included.

I'm not too interested in the code ramifications either. For me, it all boils down to the stick swinging. That stuff is one of the biggest no-no's in hockey. The league doesn't seem to think so though. I can remember a few other cases where punishment was nearly non-existent for similar incidents. The league does not seem to care too much about intent and I wish they would.

Spot on.

You have selective memory or a poor catalogue of Sabres games viewed....because he would not only drive the guy to the ice WITH HIS WHOLE BODY, but would cheapshot him with a slewfoot so it was unexpected. He has tempered his turtles and stuff like that the last 2 seasons, but it was a regular move, and one reason why nobody in the NHL has any respect for him...Refs and league included.

Kaleta at 2:10

I agree, but I would very much like to add that until they start disciplining skilled players who routinely dish out one cheapshot after another (Mike Richards, Milan Lucic, etc.), there's still a place for goons in the NHL.

The problem with the NHL and discipline, as always, is consistency - The only thing consistent about them is that they're wildly inconsistent.

Sorry, I just don't see any correlation between goons and actual hockey players that play with an edge.

what a pack of weenies... :lol: you right rest of world wrong...

I understand the blanket statement but not everyone falls under it. You also need to remember we are a repressed bunch fielding a team of softies every year. It feels good to swing our ###### around a little bit.

I understand the blanket statement but not everyone falls under it. You also need to remember we are a repressed bunch fielding a team of softies every year. It feels good to swing our ###### around a little bit.

right on regarding that, thing is are every team expected every time Scott on ice other teams supposed to react to player in total career has five points, putting valued players in jepordy, keeping in mind three of players involved in line brawl sent down , Leafs coach had choice to try to diffuse situation or react and enable Sabres attempt at standing up for themselves. why on earth would they do that. Clarkson by the way has said he has got calls of respect from players all over the league. Regarding Sabres, get it, Miller beat down and nobody responded, coaches motivation was to show these days over and Scott doing his job, he fighting for a job, Devaine in his tilt with Sabre the same this more about a guy wanting to get a job, in fact both players, in truth injury or no neither make the big team and would have and will be in ahl . imo , Clarkson comes out of this with much respect, Kessel with not much, Sabres not really sure what they gained around the league.

right on regarding that, thing is are every team expected every time Scott on ice other teams supposed to react to player in total career has five points, putting valued players in jepordy, keeping in mind three of players involved in line brawl sent down , Leafs coach had choice to try to diffuse situation or react and enable Sabres attempt at standing up for themselves. why on earth would they do that. Clarkson by the way has said he has got calls of respect from players all over the league. Regarding Sabres, get it, Miller beat down and nobody responded, coaches motivation was to show these days over and Scott doing his job, he fighting for a job, Devaine in his tilt with Sabre the same this more about a guy wanting to get a job, in fact both players, in truth injury or no neither make the big team and would have and will be in ahl . imo , Clarkson comes out of this with much respect, Kessel with not much, Sabres not really sure what they gained around the league.

No. But the message sent was if one of their goons injures one of our valued players, then our goon is going to injure one of theirs.

I also want to add that for a guy who only has 5 points in his career,… he had 1 point that night. :nana:

No. But the message sent was if one of their goons injures one of our valued players, then our goon is going to injure one of theirs.

I also want to add that for a guy who only has 5 points in his career,… he had 1 point that night. :nana:

sorry other teams not going to play this game it transparent as hell. It so basic there is zero cred gained, but more disrespect ...

Sabres not really sure what they gained around the league.

Team bonding and a some trepidation from other teams targeting our scorers. If this was the price, I'll gladly take it. I'm glad Kessel didn't get suspended. Now he can get his just do on the ice. I imagine he'll have a bullseye the next time he plays the Sabres.

sorry other teams not going to play this game it transparent as hell. It so basic there is zero cred gained, but more disrespect ...

I don't really care about respect. I care about winning and playoffs. Because of Scott, you lost a decent player for 10 games. That's a good thing for the Sabres.

Team bonding and a some trepidation from other teams targeting our scorers. If this was the price, I'll gladly take it. I'm glad Kessel didn't get suspended. Now he can get his just do on the ice. I imagine he'll have a bullseye the next time he plays the Sabres.

do see this from internal Sabre perspective, not sure it effected team bonding, Clarksons, actions certainly did, he giving up much money and showing team mates he has their back not matter the cost. To me this a heart thing, Clarkson heart , Scott a show, in the end for it to have real effect it has to be about heart. to matter, Do wish many could have listened to Clarkson talking his motivations and his support from friends around the league, he a humble hard working guy who has learned much in his career, time will tell how it all goes. but current Sabres a mix of players management trying to find a core to build and current players fighting to be part of this. It not about good guys bad guys it about guys fighting for career

just a final thought on Kessel , recall as under 4ft boy playing hockey as child, me being beaten on by far bigger young man me crying like baby, ref telling me men do not do this. Don't show your tears, be a man. I took this to heart learned to hang in against bigger guys, older guys, sometimes you win , sometimes you lose but you to stand up and if knocked down get up again, it the value of us playing sport , the lessons if you will, it makes us better people, Kessel a Leaf this year but he will move on to another team it about me not us.

Archived