GDT: Toronto at Buffalo 9-21-13 at 7PM and Sabres at Leafs Sunday night

spndnchz

I'm honestly not sure how much he could have done to avoid it. Tropp was clutching his jersey and shoulderpad as he fell backwards to the ice.

Yep - didn't look intentional - looked like Devane lost his balance the momentum pulled them both down to the ice. And Devane is a big guy - that's a lot of momentum and an unyielding landing surface.

Most of the time, the Sabres look like the NHL's ###### when they fight. Even the smaller Bernier got the best of the larger Miller in their fight. I'd like to blame it on years of Lindy Ruff building a soft, finesse team. It's gonna take a long time to work the creampuff out of those guys.

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a crap about this.

My only interest in the whole scenario is that it may have done a few things:

1). Shown what kind of team we'll see this year

2). Create a LOT more interest in future Leaf games

3). Helped this team bond and unite. I think this might be the closest to reality and the most exciting. I desperately want a team that puts it all on the line for one another. Too many passengers were in the core, of which only stafford, Vanek and miller remain.

The only thing new I learned today that was in college, John Scott threatened a fellow student, chased him down in his car, drove OVER the median of a traffic circle, and T-boned the guy with his SUV while drunk.....then getting arraigned for multiple felonies. Can't find the result of the charges, but asked the fella that pointed the story out.

good god guys, Sabre send out guy to establish they will not be soft, this guy beats on guy 100 lbs and a foot shorter, player admitted to going on ice to cause fight, of course they going to get fine and lucky it is not more. As Sabre fans got to be laughing though as good adversery player lost for ten games, small $$$ is only thing lost, but got to think league and college of coaches, looking at Sabres not so kindly, time will tell if this bought them cred, or disrespect , time will tell

can't imagine Leafs as team will do anything but move on from this, Scott or Sabres hardly it big picture that important apart from getting necessary points ,

good god guys, Sabre send out guy to establish they will not be soft, this guy beats on guy 100 lbs and a foot shorter, player admitted to going on ice to cause fight, of course they going to get fine and lucky it is not more.

Your facts are not correct. Player was not SENT on ice to establish anything. Player was on ice for genuine shift. Same player got assist making a hockey play. Player was left on ice with remaining line to finish shift as is routine in every organized hockey game from here to Japan.

You are regurgitating the spin from pro-Toronto media and is a critical fact ignored/overlooked by pro-Toronto (and/or anti-Buffalo) pundits as well as NHL.

While a ridiculous suspension, at least Kessel is a repeat offender going forward. And while I have absolutely no faith in Shanahan treating him as such, at least there's hoping he will.

What I enjoy the most is that the Leafs seem way more riled up about this than the Sabres. Usually it'd be the other way around, and suspensions or not, the message was sent - Mess with any of us, and any of you are fair game.

Maybe we can't do anything about getting beat on the scoreboard, but at least we won't be getting manhandled and cheapshotted left and right anymore, without some sort of retribution.

good god guys, Sabre send out guy to establish they will not be soft, this guy beats on guy 100 lbs and a foot shorter, player admitted to going on ice to cause fight, of course they going to get fine and lucky it is not more. As Sabre fans got to be laughing though as good adversery player lost for ten games, small $$$ is only thing lost, but got to think league and college of coaches, looking at Sabres not so kindly, time will tell if this bought them cred, or disrespect , time will tell

can't imagine Leafs as team will do anything but move on from this, Scott or Sabres hardly it big picture that important apart from getting necessary points ,

I'm not gonna get too deep into this, as usually I have absoutely no problem with you or you posts, but the fact remains that Toronto had the last shift, and could've sent out Clarkson's line if they wanted.

Scott was already on the ice, so by definition he was not SENT anywhere.

Also, I don't see anyone mentioning this, but I honestly think Scott would've probably thrown one punch that didn't connect properly, then thrown Kessel to the ice to send a message, but we'll never really know since Kessel started swinging his stick instead. There's no way he goes out to murder a guy Kessel's size, who's not Brad Marchand or the likes.

Personally, i don't really care about Rolston's fine. It's highly doubtful he's going to pay it anyways, but Pegula himself and the money probably goes to charity if i am correct.

I thought Kessel deserved atleast a 1-game regular season suspension.

But the biggest thing to me about all of this is how we reacted. There just seems to be a new attitude about this team then in years past. We've always been super soft and easy to play against. Now, this pre-season, to me atleast, it seems like they are hitting much more, playing more of a reckless (but legal) game. Scott didn't even think twice about dropping his gloves with whoever after Tropp got laid out, but Chad Ruhwedel and Brian Flynn didn't think twice and those two are not exactly in your face type players. It took i think Flynn like 4 games last season to register just one hit.

To me, it seems like Rolston is really preaching to his players to be hard to play against, be physical and have each others back. They accomplished that. I have no doubt in my mind that teams look at us differently now then before. Talent may not be there but it's not going to be a walk in the park against this group.

Well I see it that the league as a whole has lost all respect for Phil Kessel after this pre season. He should have been fined for the slash job he did earlier on a guy from Philly. Furthermore, if Rolston is getting fined for LEAVING Scott on the ice shouldn't Carlyle then be fined for allowing Clarkson to get over the boards? Oh and Kadri had to be held back (lol) so I guess Carlyle lost control of his bench and a fine would have been fitting. Why no third man in call? And isn't it amazing how different people can view the same events?

Toronto has a big boy team, but you watch Kessel this season he will be goaded by more than one team.

I look forward to a little more venom with Toronto as the matchup was actually getting a little stale the last couple of years.

Your facts are not correct. Player was not SENT on ice to establish anything. Player was on ice for genuine shift. Same player got assist making a hockey play. Player was left on ice with remaining line to finish shift as is routine in every organized hockey game from here to Japan.

You are regurgitating the spin from pro-Toronto media and is a critical fact ignored/overlooked by pro-Toronto (and/or anti-Buffalo) pundits as well as NHL.

There is nothing "genuine" about any shift John Scott takes. He's a goon with one purpose and one purpose only.

I hope this is only the beginning for the NHL. If teams and coaches are going to use goons to target players on the opposing team there needs to be consequences. I hope the fines get steeper and rules put in place to ensure goons are removed form the game. I love tough physical hockey. What John Scott does not in anyway exemplify those qualities. Every time a team puts a player like John Scott on the ice and an altercation ensues it should be reviewed by the league for possible disciplinary action against the team.

Did anyone on Toronto receive a third man in penalty? Or is it not a penalty if three people jump someone at the same time?

You might need to step down off your moral high horse there Millsie. I would imagine that the rest of the league isn't looking to kindly at TO either. Sending a 6'5" guy out to beat up the guy (now out with a concussion) who scored a goal to make it a one goal game late in the third is the definition of bush league. Why he didn't receive an instigator or why Carlyle wasn't fined either is beyond me. I'm guessing being from Toronto has something to do with it.

I can't be the only one who doesn't give a crap about this.

I don't. I think a lot of fans don't care about any of this, ever. We're bullied into submission, kind of like what the NRA does.

Methinks this is the unofficial kickoff of bread and circuses for Sabres fans, shades of 1995. The team will be bad, but the mouth-breathers are going to have fun.

No. You aren't.

I'm just amused that everyone gets bent out of shape about this as if this is proof that our society is crumbling and the NHL is a league of thugs. I enjoyed the fracas, but it was tame for the most part by historical standards, as was the Drury incident a few years ago. In the 80's, this was an every game occurrence. It was only newsworthy when the fans got involved in the melee.

What is your reaction to Devane instigating a fight with Tropp, who is in a much smaller weight class (if that is what happened -- there are differing accounts of how it started)? And to Carlyle sending Kessell out to line up against Scott?

Yep - didn't look intentional - looked like Devane lost his balance the momentum pulled them both down to the ice. And Devane is a big guy - that's a lot of momentum and an unyielding landing surface.

Most of the time, the Sabres look like the NHL's ###### when they fight. Even the smaller Bernier got the best of the larger Miller in their fight. I'd like to blame it on years of Lindy Ruff building a soft, finesse team. It's gonna take a long time to work the creampuff out of those guys.

Darcy built that team, but I'm sure Lindy being terrified of NHL officials and penalties didn't help things either.

I'm sure you'd like to, but you'd be wrong.

Archived