Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

On 4/30/2023 at 12:48 PM, LabattBlue said:

I became a 1st time grandfather in February.  What a joy!  

The smiles this baby brings to me are endless.   The bond is so strong.  Maybe it is just me being older, but a completely different feeling from when my daughter was born.  Hard to explain. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 10/3/2023 at 9:39 AM, PASabreFan said:

Timely topic for me. My 2009 Pontiac Vibe is a Jerry Korab chest hair shy of 170k miles. It might very well outlive me. But I'm starting to hear rumbles and grumbles and don't want to be caught without a vehicle while trying to buy one. It feels like the time is right. Not to mention that I think I can sell Betty for about what I paid for her in 2015! Neat trick.

I am not a car guy and my ego will not suffer if I buy a new car at the low end of the spectrum. There are surprisingly nice and good cars just south and north of 20k. Good fuel economy and safety features, just likely lacking in pizzaz and certainly lacking in performance (does zero to 60 mean anything really?).

Anyone have a recommendation? I basically drive around town/around the area with an occasional short road trip. I like hatchbacks.

Honda Accord is fantastic performing, highly reliable, and is made in Marysville Ohio (near Columbus).  Honda's break in at about 200,000 miles.  

Want smaller or less cost?  look at the Civic.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The smiles this baby brings to me are endless.   The bond is so strong.  Maybe it is just me being older, but a completely different feeling from when my daughter was born.  Hard to explain. 

You get all the fun stuff and then leave at the end of the day.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

My wife wrote a book.

It’s really good. It’s called Girl Storm by Peg Kerswell.

Here’s the link.

https://a.co/d/8FwEMLf

Tell your friends.

I snagged it. Gonna be a rainy weekend. Haven't read a book cover to cover in a while. Looking forward to it... but know it'll be a tough read.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

My wife wrote a book.

It’s really good. It’s called Girl Storm by Peg Kerswell.

Here’s the link.

https://a.co/d/8FwEMLf

Tell your friends.

Also available in Canada on Amazon.ca .. will be ordering soon.  Knowing some of the details of your story it will be a somber read.  Thank you to both of you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Also available in Canada on Amazon.ca .. will be ordering soon.  Knowing some of the details of your story it will be a somber read.  Thank you to both of you.

Hopefully you’ll get some yuks out if it as well.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My wife rocks.

Apparently, she has given a voice to many that didn’t have one before.

Swamp, really wasn't sure what emoji to use for your post.  After watching it, the feelings run the full gamut.  Hopefully you appreciate the context in which that "awesome" was given.

Knew for a long time that your daughter was severely autistic.  Never really grasped just how fully encompassing it truly was/is.  Having coached kids that are on the spectrum (several moderater and at least 1 that was close to severe), thought I understood (to a degree, never expected to fully understand the actual living it day to day, knew not living through it that the full experience was beyond being a part of it for a few hours here or there); but it was not even close.  It's truly amazing what you and your wife and your daughter have been through and hearing your wife say that you two battled through for 14 years just makes it moreso.

Sorry for not understanding and appreciating what you were really going through for so long.  Thank you for sharing this.  It was enlightening.  And it is so appropriate that you're sharing this at Thanksgiving.  (I realize that's just because of when the other lady's podcast came out; that you weren't putting this out specifically for that; and that you'd told us when the book came out that it is available.)  It really makes one think.

That video was the post of the year.  Thank you again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Believe me, I absolutely know that.

And thanks, all, for the kind words and support.

You are a very good man.  Your wife is a very good woman.  Your daughter is wonderful and very fortunate to have two very caring and very loving parents.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/18/2023 at 1:03 PM, SwampD said:

My wife rocks.

Apparently, she has given a voice to many that didn’t have one before.

If you have not done so I encourage all to watch this video.  I just ordered the book (Amazon.ca - for Canadians has it too) and I encourage everyone to think about buying it too.

I just watched this video for a second time.  It's even more awesome than the first time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

If you have not done so I encourage all to watch this video.  I just ordered the book (Amazon.ca - for Canadians has it too) and I encourage everyone to think about buying it too.

I just watched this video for a second time.  It's even more awesome than the first time.

Thank you so much, NS. I (we) really appreciate the support. More than I would be able to convey here.

• Thanks (+1) 1

My son got a new job! He's been working at a local Spanish language television station as a programming tech, basically keeping them on the air. It was a part time job that he had while he taking classes in video/broadcast production. One of his co-workers recently took a job at the local CW network station, and now a few months later he contacted my son and told him they had another opening. He interviewed for the job today and they gave it to him on the spot. He starts at the new place in a few weeks. This is a full time job with benefits and a much higher hourly rate. Woohoo!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2