Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

26 minutes ago, Ogre said:

The need for extra, secured storage space.😉
You would use a ratchet strap to secure your 2x4s to the trailer, wouldn’t you?

I don't know what that trailer question means, sorry!

And I want freedom for my people, not security...

• 3 months later...

Just bought an electric assist bike. Can't wait to get it.

I would have just bough a regular bike, but I plan on commuting with it. My house is at 39' and the trip ends with just under a 400' climb. It's going to be nice not to show up a sweaty mess.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

Just got a loaded up new Nissan Altima. Older guy who still likes sedans and has fewer choices.  Doesn't sound like much but this car is power/heated everything. AWD. I looked at a Lexus and a couple others but this was so much more impressive inside and out. The display screen is enormous.  Seats just hug you and the cost is half of those other cars. Drives like a dream and is so quiet.  Never understood pricing/marketing. Scarlet red. Probably the 5th red car I've had in my 45 years of driving. Just coming off a blue car. Very difficult to find color these days. White, grey, silver and  black seems to be 95% of the market. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

Just got a loaded up new Nissan Altima. Older guy who still likes sedans and has fewer choices.  Doesn't sound like much but this car is power/heated everything. AWD. I looked at a Lexus and a couple others but this was so much more impressive inside and out. The display screen is enormous.  Seats just hug you and the cost is half of those other cars. Drives like a dream and is so quiet.  Never understood pricing/marketing. Scarlet red. Probably the 5th red car I've had in my 45 years of driving. Just coming off a blue car. Very difficult to find color these days. White, grey, silver and  black seems to be 95% of the market. 

Enjoy!

My last few vehicles have been used, if money wasn’t an issue I would like a brand new Toyota Tundra. Love my truck and still going strong after 10 years and 160,000 miles.

Timely topic for me. My 2009 Pontiac Vibe is a Jerry Korab chest hair shy of 170k miles. It might very well outlive me. But I'm starting to hear rumbles and grumbles and don't want to be caught without a vehicle while trying to buy one. It feels like the time is right. Not to mention that I think I can sell Betty for about what I paid for her in 2015! Neat trick.

I am not a car guy and my ego will not suffer if I buy a new car at the low end of the spectrum. There are surprisingly nice and good cars just south and north of 20k. Good fuel economy and safety features, just likely lacking in pizzaz and certainly lacking in performance (does zero to 60 mean anything really?).

Anyone have a recommendation? I basically drive around town/around the area with an occasional short road trip. I like hatchbacks.

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My 2009 Pontiac Vibe

Being that I worked in the Auto industry my whole life, I remember the Vibe. It's engine was made at the National Auto plant in California. One of the greatest engines ever. At the end of the line, they send out those engines to Pontiac to put in the Vibe and Toyota to put in the Corrola. They would run forever and the car bodies would fall apart before the engines would die. No one ever got rid of those cars. Just like the old GM 3.8 V6 in the 1990's. Some engines were made too good and the car industry certainly doesn't like that. Less opportunity to get $$ out of you. They have no soul. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Being that I worked in the Auto industry my whole life, I remember the Vibe. It's engine was made at the National Auto plant in California. One of the greatest engines ever. At the end of the line, they send out those engines to Pontiac to put in the Vibe and Toyota to put in the Corrola. They would run forever and the car bodies would fall apart before the engines would die. No one ever got rid of those cars. Just like the old GM 3.8 V6 in the 1990's. Some engines were made too good and the car industry certainly doesn't like that. Less opportunity to get $$ out of you. They have no soul. 

That's good to hear. Yeah I'm getting some surface rust and I've need some exhaust repairs due to rust. So I suppose it will rust out first lol. I love not having a car payment. At this point a new car is a want and not a need. I really want it tho lol.

Also... pretty amazing how many Vibes are still on the road. Ended production in 2010.

12 hours ago, Night Train said:

I went with a mostly loaded up version of a Rogue back in June, my first car since 2011.  That's pretty much the SUV version of the altima, so I'd imagine we have pretty much identical interiors.  I've been very happy with it.  I also enjoy the fact that they assume I already have more than double my current mileage.  I won't have to be visiting that service department any time soon.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Timely topic for me. My 2009 Pontiac Vibe is a Jerry Korab chest hair shy of 170k miles. It might very well outlive me. But I'm starting to hear rumbles and grumbles and don't want to be caught without a vehicle while trying to buy one. It feels like the time is right. Not to mention that I think I can sell Betty for about what I paid for her in 2015! Neat trick.

I am not a car guy and my ego will not suffer if I buy a new car at the low end of the spectrum. There are surprisingly nice and good cars just south and north of 20k. Good fuel economy and safety features, just likely lacking in pizzaz and certainly lacking in performance (does zero to 60 mean anything really?).

Anyone have a recommendation? I basically drive around town/around the area with an occasional short road trip. I like hatchbacks.

We bought our 2008 brand-new. Still have it and it has never given me a lick of trouble.

Easily the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Hey, I'm not a car guy and I had an idea to buy American cars for life but after my last few crapped out on me, I got disgusted and found this guy Scotty Kilmer on youtube. Scotty's been a mechanic for over 50 years and he tells the truth. Plus he's from Niagara Falls (you can hear the Buffalo accent).

I ended up buying a 2011 Toyota Camry with 46K miles for $7500 and I'm loving life. You can see what he recommends to buy on this page, whether it's new, used or cheap etc. If you're interested in what he has to say about particular cars, you can type in Scotty Kilmer and the car you're thinking of. On the whole, I think he recommends Toyotas and Hondas. I recommend subscribing to Scotty's channel/look and listen to his entertaining diatribes. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scotty+best+car+to+buy

Edited by Quint
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

In 2011 I bought a new Jetta for just under $19,000. In 2021 I bought a new Tucson for just under $23,000. Both have treated me well. 

Edited by #freejame
Good MPG on both as well. No issues with how either run/ran.
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

We had a Nissan Sentra for 15 years when it just all of a sudden died and put is in a spot.  We both hate car shopping.  A neighbout / friend gve us her 1995 Ford Tempo (you heard me) to get to and fro minimally while we shopped a bit.  I get that you don't want to get caught.

We ended up with a Corrola - great car and will give you a very reliable 15+ years easy.  Another option would be a Civic.  Another great and basic car.  Both can be jazzed up if wanted, but why bother.

We got a great deal on the Corolla - dealer sales person used it to get to and from work from the suburbs and that is all they could use it for.  At 8,000 KM (not even broken in after 6 months) the dealer swaps them out.  Got it for $7,500 lower than brand new.  

New (here in Canada) either would run you about $25,000 taxes and all that junk in.

Not that many hatchback options out there these days.  Corolla does have one and it looks terrible.  I am more of a sedan and truck / boot kind of guy.

20 hours ago, Quint said:

Hey, I'm not a car guy and I had an idea to buy American cars for life but after my last few crapped out on me, I got disgusted and found this guy Scotty Kilmer on youtube. Scotty's been a mechanic for over 50 years and he tells the truth. Plus he's from Niagara Falls (you can hear the Buffalo accent).

I ended up buying a 2011 Toyota Camry with 46K miles for $7500 and I'm loving life. You can see what he recommends to buy on this page, whether it's new, used or cheap etc. If you're interested in what he has to say about particular cars, you can type in Scotty Kilmer and the car you're thinking of. On the whole, I think he recommends Toyotas and Hondas. I recommend subscribing to Scotty's channel/look and listen to his entertaining diatribes. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scotty+best+car+to+buy

It's admirable, but once "American" cars began being primarily built outside of the United States I began looking for cars that were mostly built within the United States.  I'd rather see the money go to support the team on the floor versus the team in the office.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's admirable, but once "American" cars began being primarily built outside of the United States I began looking for cars that were mostly built within the United States.  I'd rather see the money go to support the team on the floor versus the team in the office.

I worked for an American car company who Obama bailed out years back..GM.  I was a salaried employee who took retirement just in time several years back.. The $$ from the bailout had no conditions and it was used to improve production in China and Mexico. They laid off hundereds of thousands of American workers, ruining a lot of towns across the country. My whole division was closed within a year at my plant.  The only thing they make here is trucks and limited Corvette production. That's it. The sold out to slave labor 20 years ago. Honda, Nissan, Toyota...they have plants in the U.S. The " Buy American" thinking died a generation ago.  Buy quality after doing your research. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1