Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

This is a sentence from a rejection email I received for a particular job opening.  Way to go, HR...

After careful consideration of many qualified candidates, the hiring department has decided to move forward with a different individual or not to fill this position at this time. 

:blink:

That is one annoying sentence, sorry buddy. Their loss!

Where I work, the job listing simply disappears and if you search for it, the reply to the inquiry says, "If your search contained a requisition number, we are sorry but the position has been filled or cancelled."

So pretty much the same thing, but they don't even send the response.  You have to search for the opening to find out you didn't get it.

Not totally sure this belongs in this thread, but I bit the bullet and put in my two weeks' notice. My bosses were really cool about it all, are open to contract work, and have offered me "cartoonishly good references" when I need them.

Biggest/hardest decision I've made since choosing a college to attend some 10 years ago. They say discomfort is a sign something needs to change, and I finally was strong enough to make it happen. I am resolute with my decision, and look to Buffalo like it is some sort of guiding beacon of light. 

What's really awesome is the amount of support my friends and family have given me with all of this. No one clucking their tongue, telling me to stay. Pretty unanimous decisions across the board. 

Now... to learn some new skills, get my health back, and continue to try to find a good job in Buffalo! 

Way to go Josie! I just talked with another friend who has come to a similar realization and is jumping back into the job search market. It might be scary at first, but the only way to improve your situation is to try...

It's awesome that Shonen is still with us.  Shonen is the black and white dog in this video, and he belongs to my son (who is sitting on the bed).  My son adopted him from Fort Worth Animal Control two weeks ago.  This video is from Thanksgiving Day.  (The other dog is my dog, WInston.)

Saturday after Thanksgiving (two days after this video), my son awoke to Shonen throwing up.  He was so weak he couldn't get up.  His gums were white.  My son rushed him to the nearby emergency vet, where they kept him overnight, putting him on an IV.  Sunday he was doing better so he came home.  He started sinking again on Monday so he took him back to the vet.  More IV and a dose of antibiotics, and by this evening he was starting to eat and drink and act like his normal self.  The vet has no idea what caused his illness, they speculated it was either something he ate, or maybe he was bitten/stung by a venomous animal.  But they couldn't really tell.  Hopefully he'll make it.

This is my son's first dog that *he* has owned.  We had dogs when he was growing up, but this is the first dog he's owned since he moved into his own place.  When he took ill Saturday, my son was in tears.  In just a couple weeks, he and Shonen have totally bonded.

But the awesome doesn't stop there.  We knew he'd had a run-in with another dog when my son adopted him, because his ear was was missing a tip and was still healing (you can see the light-colored streaks on his left ear toward the end of the video- those are the scars).  With all the examinations, the vet found evidence that he'd been mauled by another dog some time ago.  He's barely a year old, so he must have been still a pup when it happened.  He's also been shot with buckshot/BBs and has a couple still in him.  And then this weekend, he almost died.

Through it all, he is one of the most outgoing, loving, affectionate dogs I've ever known, both with people and with other dogs.  He is definitely one AWESOME dog.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

What kind of degenerate shoots a dog with BBs. Being dog owner I am sure you know what foods to avoid for them. But maybe he got into something with onion during thanksgiving or he has a food allergy. I couldn't watch the video (privacy settings) but dogs with primarily white hair are known for allergies across different breeds. Glad the little guy is doing better and has found a good home.

My son only gives him dog food; he's very strict about that.  If he had gotten into something on Thanksgiving, he would have been sick before Saturday, or so the vet said.

Metal from the BB's creating an infection?*

*I am sooo Not a doctor or a vet!

No.  Old wounds.

I couldn't watch the video (privacy settings)

Apparently I uploaded, but didn't publish, the video. Should be viewable now. Or soon. Or something.

Here's what's awesome tonight.  

Today should have been my wedding anniversary. We planned it so that family who already were in town for Thanksgiving would be here anyway.

Those of you who have been around that long, well, you know.  Those of you who have not, well, she died.  I miss my Sara.  She was smart and kind and funny and beautiful.  She wasn't perfect, but she was perfect for me.

I did not have a meltdown today.  I had a couple of leaks, but no meltdown.  This is progress, and I mean it.

I wrote the brief I needed to write, I went to church, and I laid flowers down by the water.  And I felt GOOD!  GOOD for the first time in a while.

I also have a date for tomorrow.  This (on my end) was on purpose--I wanted something to look to after Nov. 30.  

Love you all.  Yeah, even you, PA.

Edited by Eleven

Today should have been my wedding anniversary. We planned it so that family who already were in town for Thanksgiving would be here anyway.

Those of you who have been around that long, well, you know.  Those of you who have not, well, she died.  I miss my Sara.  She was smart and kind and funny and beautiful.  She wasn't perfect, but she was perfect for me.

I did not have a meltdown today.  I had a couple of leaks, but no meltdown.  This is progress, and I mean it.

I wrote the brief I needed to write, I went to church, and I laid flowers down by the water.  And I felt GOOD!  GOOD for the first time in a while.

I also have a date for tomorrow.  This (on my end) was on purpose--I wanted something to look to after Nov. 30.  

See you there! 7, right?

(teehee)

Seriously, that's great, my friend. It's amazing to me that people can feel comfortable sharing such intimate thoughts on here. I've sometimes thought a sociologist should study this place. Or a documentary should be made about it. Why does it work? Maybe best not to overthink it. I'm just glad it does and has been some part of your recovery. You're a very good man, and I hope you know the jibs and jabs on here are just for sport.

See you there! 7, right?

(teehee)

Seriously, that's great, my friend. It's amazing to me that people can feel comfortable sharing such intimate thoughts on here. I've sometimes thought a sociologist should study this place. Or a documentary should be made about it. Why does it work? Maybe best not to overthink it. I'm just glad it does and has been some part of your recovery. You're a very good man, and I hope you know the jibs and jabs on here are just for sport.

We're mostly very good people on this board.  That's what makes it work.  We also have active--but not overreactive--mods, who should be thanked from time to time.  (And I think they are thanked from time to time.)

It's a great board.

Eleven,

You know I'm a big softy.

I / we love you too, you big lug.

This is good news.

Thanks man.

It's got to be hard.

An old friend of mine just lost his wife on Monday.  He's a bit younger than me.  Just kind of a freak thing that turned into sepsis and then that was it.

I can't even begin to imagine....

Sorry for your friend's loss. Hope his kids weren't too young; that has to be an awful pian.

See you there! 7, right?

Very nice.

We're mostly very good people on this board.  That's what makes it work.  We also have active--but not overreactive--mods, who should be thanked from time to time.  (And I think they are thanked from time to time.)

It's a great board.

Thank you sir.

Enough puffery:  how was the date?  How many wings did she eat?

Glad to hear of your progress. I am very appreciative and fortunate that you feel comfortable sharing all this with all of us here.

Those of you who have been around that long, well, you know. Those of you who have not, well, she died. I miss my Sara. She was smart and kind and funny and beautiful. She wasn't perfect, but she was perfect for me.

I did not have a meltdown today. I had a couple of leaks, but no meltdown. This is progress, and I mean it.

I wrote the brief I needed to write, I went to church, and I laid flowers down by the water. And I felt GOOD! GOOD for the first time in a while.

I also have a date for tomorrow. This (on my end) was on purpose--I wanted something to look to after Nov. 30.

Love you all. Yeah, even you, PA.

Good for you.

...I wish you and PA nothing but happiness ;)

Sorry for your friend's loss. Hope his kids weren't too young; that has to be an awful pian.

Kids are grown, in their 20s.  She's had health issues for some time, but the illness that took her was totally out of left field.

The funeral as this morning; I had a meeting at work so I couldn't go.  :unsure: