Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Nowhere clear to put this and I need an answer fast. Which of the following is correct?

"...faculty at the University of Rochester blah blah blah"

or 

"...faculty at University of Rochester blah blah blah"

another example:

"Doing research at the University of Rochester"

or 

"Doing research at University of Rochester"

Please help me sabrespace 

Nowhere clear to put this and I need an answer fast. Which of the following is correct?

or 

another example:

or 

I would include the "the."

or

another example:

or

That's a question we don't have to ask here in Columbus :P

Fwiw, I agree. Go with the "the" if you're writing University of Rochester in long form. It sounds odd because normally you'd just say "U of R" and omit the "the."

Buffalo expressways, and the way I refer to them, always cracks me. It's "the 90" and "the 290." It always will be no matter how long it's been since I drove them. But never once have I caught myself saying "the 71" or "the 670" down here in Columbus. Nor do I ever say "the 490" when I'm visiting home in Rochester. I'm guessing it's a product of what we hear on the radio.

Edited by EichSnipe

Buffalo expressways, and the way I refer to them, always cracks me. It's "the 90" and "the 290." It always will be no matter how long it's been since I drove them. But never once have I caught myself saying "the 71" or "the 670" down here in Columbus. Nor do I ever say "the 490" when I'm visiting home in Rochester. I'm guessing it's a product of what we hear on the radio.

I had a neighbor who was from Buffalo here in Raleigh and she would call the interstates "the 40" and "the 95".  

I haven't read that one in a while.

"It's common to hear Buffalonians refer to "Rite Aid's," "Kmart's" or "Noco's," as if there's a "Mr. Noco" that owns the gas station chain. "

lol

I think that one is dying with our grandparents generation. I haven't heard that since my grandma Brown died.

I haven't read that one in a while.

"It's common to hear Buffalonians refer to "Rite Aid's," "Kmart's" or "Noco's," as if there's a "Mr. Noco" that owns the gas station chain. "[/size]

lol[/size]

I think that one is dying with our grandparents generation. I haven't heard that since my grandma Brown died.

Can't say I ever recall hearing anyone refer to Rite Aid or Kmart in the plural. However, the little mom & pop places still get referred to by the owner's last name w/ an apostrophe s attached. Never considered that to be a "Buffalo thing." Edited by Taro T

Can't say I ever recall hearing anyone refer to Rite Aid or Kmart in the plural. However, the little mom & pop places still get referred to by the owner's last name w/ an apostrophe s attached. Never considered that to be a "Buffalo thing."

I think my mom does that, I'll have to keep an ear out for it while I'm in town.