Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

Also? When I heard the numbers on Talbot, I was hugely envious. He was who I wanted to be my #3 Center.

Ha me too and have said the exact same thing. Normally Darcy would have gotten that done. And thats it. This year he was too busy to see that cherry still hanging from the tree because he became a big time GM. No excuses but this should have been on the radar given our c condition and the fact that they are more than content with letting Timmayy walk away.

Quick, Gaustad or Talbot for 3rd line center?

Uh huh.

Ha me too and have said the exact same thing. Normally Darcy would have gotten that done. And thats it. This year he was too busy to see that cherry still hanging from the tree because he became a big time GM. No excuses but this should have been on the radar given our c condition and the fact that they are more than content with letting Timmayy walk away.

Quick, Gaustad or Talbot for 3rd line center?

Uh huh.

Me three...I wanted Talbot as well. His feisty nature will play well in Philly, however.

Well, IF Leino pans out as a center, it could work out to be a brilliant strategy as some were claiming that TC was the 2nd best UFA center available. If Leino can play center, that clearly wasn't true.

If he doesn't pan out at center, it's still a reasonable choice but not nearly as brilliant.

Wha...? Who was saying that? That's nonsense. He has been below Leino in all of the rankings I've seen. TSN and Yahoo had Leino second to Richards I clearly recall.

Okay, now after having time to absorb this acquisition, and listen to the press conference, and be totally sickened by Schopp and the Bulldog, and read this highly entertaining thread...I'm okay with this signing for now.

I think it's natural to feel let down a bit as over the past week our expections justifiably grew sky-high, but now that reality has set in again - if Richards wasn't available to the Sabres, then HE WASN'T AVAILABLE TO THE SABRES. What are you going to do? :unsure:

The discussion here about Lindy's comments this morning is very illuminating - I'll have to see if GR still has that audio. Whatever the interpretation, the choice for Leino was clearly thought-out. I can accept the Sabres' reasoning here, but do agree that it is a risk.

If it pans out as the Sabres hope, then those guys will be proven to be brilliant judges of NHL players. If not, then, well let's hope he at least isn't a dog.

But, Richards? Damn, that guy is a selfish SOB, IMHO. He's obviously all about the money and the attention - and I can see (and appreciate) why the Sabres walked away from THAT nonsense. Next year will be no better, so hopefully the kids in the system will be ready soon.

That said, already the Rochester move is becoming more and more brilliant more than anything else. I mean, aside from proximity, they can watch over the young guys' development directly, and do more with them. Smart to do that right away.

I know I made a post earlier, but I'll make another...

This is the FIRST summer with TPegs (as mentioned) FIRST Free Agency Day, FIRST this that and the other.

When we got Brad Boyes, I was optimistic because we acquired someone instead of us giving someone away for a ###### return.

Once the Cup Final ends, I think, time for July 1st...and here it has come and passed.

The past week we got 2 VERY skillful defencemen who will help this team out in so many ways and a guy in Leino who has made it to the Cup Finals with Philly, knows what its like...Who cares about his numbers, the fact that he has some sort of experience that half the guys on this team dont, makes me wonder how much of a voice he'll be in the locker room. Who cares if he didnt score 50g and record 100+ points; sometimes the best traits for a player arent numbers or statistics.

I cannot wait for this upcoming season, it still hasnt set in that Buffalo is slowly being talked about more for the better and who knows, with a few more moves you'll hear "I think the Buffalo Sabres will be a strong contender for the Cup this year" (somebody will...)

I firmly can believe now what Pegula said about his goal for a Cup.

I called BS on it at first, but acquiring guys and signing them for ridiculous lengths just shows what he is gonna do to help this team and this city.

I think the only reason some people might be a little let down is because as of Friday morning, hopes were VERY high concerning Richards (including mine.) I think the Sabres made a calculated and bold move to make sure Center was upgraded and I think it will pay off. The additions of the 2 dmen with Miller behind them is going to improve Buffalo by leaps and bounds. I see the offense taking a bit of time to gel but am very confident that by December, we will see a VERY talented team.

This looks to be a team that has a lot of potential and if it is reached, could be dangerous in the playoffs.....this is only ONE off-season folks.......As a season ticket holder, I could not be more excited - well, maybe a little ;)

If we can not get Richards, this was the best possible moveto do!

I don't know if Leino is useful as center, so i hope we trade for one.

Two great Dmen one good - great forward is a damn good improvement.

Lets sign Weber Sekera, Enroth and Gragnani and i am happy.

But i still dream of a nr. 1 C.

Happy with Leino after reading TSN review, I get it.

All onboard with moving Boyes to clear cap space, not impressed at all.

Looking for Enroth to secure backup, Patty's gotta go, Miller cant push 70 games.

Going to be alot of competition to make the roster this year I believe.

Defense; I hope it stays the way it is; with injuries we need the depth and versatility.

Pleasantly surprised by the offseason!

Compared to most, if not ALL teams, Darcy and the Sabres made the most moves that actually helped the team. Chicago added a bunch of re-treads (including Montador), Philly gets worse overall, and yet the Sabres add the 2nd highest rated forward (and center), the highest rated D-man, while adding another top-4 d-man via trade for basically nothing. There is absolutely no way we can not look at this as awesome and a definite up-grade. I do think a trade will be happening soon as well. We have tons of trade bait with the NHL roster, as well as prospects. I am glad we didn't over-pay for Richards, because we need room for Myers next year. It's not my money, so I do not care what the team gives who...I just want them to get closer to winning a cup, and they definately have done that. I big trade would seal the deal. We now have an extra 2nd rounder, so we have lots of flexability in any trade, with both picks and players. Good work Darcy!!!

Wha...? Who was saying that? That's nonsense. He has been below Leino in all of the rankings I've seen. TSN and Yahoo had Leino second to Richards I clearly recall.

Okay, now after having time to absorb this acquisition, and listen to the press conference, and be totally sickened by Schopp and the Bulldog, and read this highly entertaining thread...I'm okay with this signing for now.

I think it's natural to feel let down a bit as over the past week our expections justifiably grew sky-high, but now that reality has set in again - if Richards wasn't available to the Sabres, then HE WASN'T AVAILABLE TO THE SABRES. What are you going to do? :unsure:

The discussion here about Lindy's comments this morning is very illuminating - I'll have to see if GR still has that audio. Whatever the interpretation, the choice for Leino was clearly thought-out. I can accept the Sabres' reasoning here, but do agree that it is a risk.

If it pans out as the Sabres hope, then those guys will be proven to be brilliant judges of NHL players. If not, then, well let's hope he at least isn't a dog.

But, Richards? Damn, that guy is a selfish SOB, IMHO. He's obviously all about the money and the attention - and I can see (and appreciate) why the Sabres walked away from THAT nonsense. Next year will be no better, so hopefully the kids in the system will be ready soon.

That said, already the Rochester move is becoming more and more brilliant more than anything else. I mean, aside from proximity, they can watch over the young guys' development directly, and do more with them. Smart to do that right away.

Those sources you are quoting had Leino listed as a WINGER. I did not state that any source had TC listed higher than Leino overall, but if Leino isn't considered a center, then he can't be considered to be higher on the list of available centers than TC.

That was all I was stating.

tons of good stuff here - i just don't have the time to reply and give respect to everyone i would like to.

the one takeaway that i had, that i didn't see as i scanned upthread, was that the leino move, as i now understand it, is something that reflects that organ-EYE-zation's continued commitment to lindy's system. (there, i said it.) they scouted an existing pro in the league who was playing wing (but had played a lot of center in his career), saw the role that he played on the ice, saw his game, and targeted him as a center. when i heard lindy talking about him, he had very specific ideas about how his skill set would work for this team, as built, developed, and molded by the existing regime.

so, it's a bit of a continued leap of faith -- not so much in leino, but in lindy and darcy.

they're professionals -- i'm not. so i am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and be optimistic that they can make this squad spin like a top. in truth, this team could be a lot of fun to watch next year.

Then you're just left with people who hate themselves for one reason or another and who think a Stanley Cup t-shirt is going to lead them to happiness.

dizzamn. i don't think we're in any real danger of letting the board be overrun, scott -- when you have a fairly random sampling of human beings, you're going to get all types. and as my grandfather used to say (i loved this): "it doesn't take all types, but we got all types."

Leino is a quality addition to this team. I like him as a center. I'd like him better as a winger. There's also a lot of talk that even though he wasn't taking draws in Philadelphia last year, he was playing the center positionally in the zone.

So, here is to thinking that DR ain't done yet while musing about how Leino will play centering, lets say Vanek and Ennis.

So, now that we've had time to digest the move, the inevitable question must be asked: what number will he wear? ;)

He wore #20 (open) in Tampere, #89 (open, but Mogilny's #) in Hämeenlinna and Helsinki, #11 (retired) in Grand Rapids, #21 (Stafford) in Detroit, and #22 (Boyes) in Philly. I'm guessing that he continues the trend and takes #23.

To summarize the posts i think were on the mark here.

2. they will try and convert him to center.Roy will always be a two at best. I like him as a three. (Leino sees the ice well and has excellent stick and passing skills plus he has pp skills) Vanek will make him instantly better on the 1 line, his Philly numbers will go up significantly.

I am sorry but I can no longer allow a statement this incorrect to be posted without some sort of rebuttal. Derek Roy is one of the top 20 centers in the league before he was injured last year. He had 80 pts the year after drury and briere and then 70 and 69pts. He has 4, 9, 6, and 1 gwg in the past 4 seasons. That means he is almost a point per game player. His numbers are better than spezza over that time. Derek Roy is not a 2 at best. He is a two and on a good season a 1. Hes not a 3 and hasnt been for years. Please ppl do not let the fact the sabres as a team sucked last year at the beginning make you believe that derek roy is somehow a terrible hockey player even though he was at least showing up in those 35games. Not to mention he did manage a point in the playoffs even though it was worthless and his only game. 2 and best? Please lets be fair and call Roy what he is. Hes a great 2 and a possible 1 and this board needs to stop all the unneeded hatred of him. The main argument will say that Roy can't take over a game, well guess what only about 5-7 players in the league as far as forwards go have that ability. We dont have Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Sedins, Kesler, or Bobby Ryan so except that this is a multi-line team, and let Roy be. Think of us more like Boston and less like Vancouver.

Spezza has in the last 3 years 73pts, 57, 57. gwg 3, 5, 2.

So, now that we've had time to digest the move, the inevitable question must be asked: what number will he wear? ;)

He wore #20 (open) in Tampere, #89 (open, but Mogilny's #) in Hämeenlinna and Helsinki, #11 (retired) in Grand Rapids, #21 (Stafford) in Detroit, and #22 (Boyes) in Philly. I'm guessing that he continues the trend and takes #23.

If he wears #23 than I expect him to be the second coming of Drury and that means lots of clutch goals and a hard work ethic.

Leino was listed everywhere as a wing but I dont get paid millions of dollars to know what he can and can't do. I will wait to see what this team looks like in october before i pass judgment on mr. leino's center ability's. I think it is an upgrade from the rapidly aging TC or the rapidly degenerating and possible acquisition of Drury.

I am sorry but I can no longer allow a statement this incorrect to be posted without some sort of rebuttal.

Admit it, though, you'd be happy if Derek Roy were the third best center on the team, too. If they were to acquire two better centers to play above him, we'd be freakin' stacked! :thumbsup:

I am sorry but I can no longer allow a statement this incorrect to be posted without some sort of rebuttal. Derek Roy is one of the top 20 centers in the league before he was injured last year. He had 80 pts the year after drury and briere and then 70 and 69pts. He has 4, 9, 6, and 1 gwg in the past 4 seasons. That means he is almost a point per game player. His numbers are better than spezza over that time. Derek Roy is not a 2 at best. He is a two and on a good season a 1. Hes not a 3 and hasnt been for years. Please ppl do not let the fact the sabres as a team sucked last year at the beginning make you believe that derek roy is somehow a terrible hockey player even though he was at least showing up in those 35games. Not to mention he did manage a point in the playoffs even though it was worthless and his only game. 2 and best? Please lets be fair and call Roy what he is. Hes a great 2 and a possible 1 and this board needs to stop all the unneeded hatred of him. The main argument will say that Roy can't take over a game, well guess what only about 5-7 players in the league as far as forwards go have that ability. We dont have Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Sedins, Kesler, or Bobby Ryan so except that this is a multi-line team, and let Roy be. Think of us more like Boston and less like Vancouver.

Very good point. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Roy is making decent money for his production and is a very capable number 2 center and really always has been. That's why it's so intriguing if we can get that #1 guy because Roy is legit at #2 and Leino will be a good #3. We would be similar to the flyers in that we'dhave three scoring lines (not quite as talented mind you) and a heck of alot better defensively if we can still trade for that #1 guy.

That's the word I was trying to find to describe it, NONSENSE. Absolutely reeks of self-righteousness and greed. But as a UFA he's allowed, so I can't fault a guy for working the system in place.

I'm thinking 20, but 23 is also logical. Fun having new numbers out on the ice

How can you people not be optimistic about EVERYTHING the Sabres have been doing?

Have you forgotten the history of the Sabres already that you can’t see greener pastures in our near future? We just got rid of Rigas’s and Golisano for Gods sake. Talk about two owners that didn’t care if we won anything or not.

And why do people give Darcy credit or blame for EVERY MOVE? He is nothing more than a mouth piece for this organization. He isn’t making the all the decisions. This is a TEAM effort and all he is doing is following orders. His job is to negotiate what others tell him to do. His skill is in negotiating NOT EVALUATING TALENT.

Do you really think he knows enough about the 3 players we just picked up that HE made the decision to go after them? He sat in a room with the people that call the shots and they said go get them and pay this much….

Darcy's the same guy that was smart enough to add Briere and Drury way back when nobody else wanted them (Phoenix put Briere on waivers at one point), and he's the same guy that keeps drafting very good hockey players, so I trust his judgment. I think Leino will be a great fit, and a will be/is a awesome addition...still think a trade is in the offering. One thing for sure, just about ANY team would take Derek Roy. People here under-value the guy.

How can you people not be optimistic about EVERYTHING the Sabres have been doing?

Have you forgotten the history of the Sabres already that you can’t see greener pastures in our near future? We just got rid of Rigas’s and Golisano for Gods sake. Talk about two owners that didn’t care if we won anything or not.

And why do people give Darcy credit or blame for EVERY MOVE? He is nothing more than a mouth piece for this organization. He isn’t making the all the decisions. This is a TEAM effort and all he is doing is following orders. His job is to negotiate what others tell him to do. His skill is in negotiating NOT EVALUATING TALENT.

Do you really think he knows enough about the 3 players we just picked up that HE made the decision to go after them? He sat in a room with the people that call the shots and they said go get them and pay this much….

True any G.M. surrounds himself with knowledgable experienced people to help make decisions. Thats exactly how a business ceo does it. Thats how Pegula does it. But you're not giving Regier enough credit as a G.M. He is evreyones boss except Pegula and Black. That puts him above being simply a mouthpiece whom everyone else simply says fetch to. Many of the bad decisions and many of the good are probably on Darcy simply because he said 'make it so' or ' we'll go in this direction' or ' I think we'll try this one out of the 3 options'. I think Pegula most likely puts as much trust in Darcys ability and experience as Darcy puts in the scouting department. Good GM'S make decisions that improve teams. They don't just pour the coffee.

I said "Roy will always be a two at best" more of a three. Thats just my opinion. I know his numbers...It is my view of DR playing for this team. . No disrespect to you or Mr. Roy intended. IMO he will center the two line this year, providing they do not trade for a real #1, and will rotate through the one when Lindy feels the need to change up. In an ideal situation, should they obtain a real 1 center , he would probably be more usefull on the three . The 2nd line wingers production would go way up with a playmaker like Leino vs a shoot first center like DR ... Roy on the 3rd line makes a real contribution to the team in that he creates a third scoring line ALL BY HIMSELF.He gets to shoot all day long, which is his game. I must admit I would trade him in a heartbeat for a real 1 center if i needed him to make the deal...Boston had three lines that could go to the net and score.

So, now that we know what we know about Rags-to-Richards, is it fair to take the professionals at their word and accept that they learned what they needed to learn without TP taking a trip to personally meet with Morris or Richards?

In any event, I'm still not thrilled with this signing. It just seems like a LOT for a guy who has never put up big numbers, even if he was playing out of position.

And, yeah, I'd love to be wrong on that. I'll be rooting for him; he starts here with a clean slate (I will try to forgive for Game 6).

Archived