Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

I like Leino but wasn't expecting him and didn't want and certainly don't need him.

However he is a skilled player without a doubt and I think you may not be paying attention when you make a statement like 8th or 9th best forward. Consesus had him as top 5 ufa.

That is irrelevant to me as I still wasn't looking for him. I am perplexed right now but have to, HAVE to believe there is something else happening over the summer for a 1b type center. Unless this guy really can play center which after seeing Boyes come in and play very well at wing and then have to play center and disappear, we can't afford that with Ville.

All my eggs were in the Richards basket. It just made too much sense and as I had stated somewhere, if we signed him today I felt like we get to play in three of the next five cups so what ever we would have paid would have been worth it. Gotta move on now though. Next season is going to be a #### load of fun with Regehr, Erhoff and Leino aboard! We will not see guys like Danny Briere hanging out at the side of our net all game. Or skating behind Miller in the crease and smacking the back of his head along the way. Welcome to Buffalo Robyn Regehr. Get em!

Wasn't the "consensus" that this was an extremely weak UFA group?

Vanek

Roy

Ennis

Pominville

Boyes

Stafford

Gerbe

Hecht

Leino

Ninth best forward.

I got something different out of Lindy's interview. I heard him say that the reason they liked Leino was because he often played the role of center in the O zone (as opposed to what you are saying- there is no defined center role in the O zone). He was frequently the down low set up guy and played behind the net, a place typically for center to be.

My concerns with Leino are whether or not he can be the guy maintaining puck possession on zone entries. THAT is what this team was missing from it's "centers" last year. And it's what Briere's role was on the L-B-H line. If Leino can't be more effective than Boyes at controlling the puck on zone entry than this signing was a mistake. If he can do this well I think it will be OK.

His puck possession is fantastic. My concern is his lack of speed. Though he played with DB, he has to have some.

Yeah but I wouldn't consider TC a better center just because he played it. The biggest qualities I look for in a center are:

1) Playmaking ability (Leino by a mile)

2) Face offs (Leino 57.4% to TC 45%)

3) Speed to turn up ice and back check (TC by a mile, and my only concern with his move to C)

Add in the fact that Leino is rarely injured where as TC is ALWAYS injured, it's not even close

Leino is "rarely" injured over a sample of size "4" (really two) seasons -- two of which he played less than 15 games, one he played about half, and last year he missed one game. Connolly missed about 15 last year because he blocked a shot with his face en route to leading all forwards in blocked shots.

Vanek

Roy

Ennis

Pominville

Boyes

Stafford

Gerbe

Hecht

Leino

Ninth best forward.

I expect he'll be about equal with Boyes.

Leino is "rarely" injured over a sample of size "4" (really two) seasons -- two of which he played less than 15 games, one he played about half, and last year he missed one game. Connolly missed about 15 last year because he blocked a shot with his face en route to leading all forwards in blocked shots.

C'mon, we really going to play the numbers game on Connolly's injuries? I'll be right back, gotta go grab a calculator

Frankly Connolly is higher on my list than Leino, if for no other reason than he ACTUALLY plays center...

Regier says Leino fits into the top 6 at forward which puts him above TC in any capacity in my opinion. They had targeted Leino a while back according to Regier and have been very high on him for some time. I think he was referring to the playoffs where our scouts , coaches and management had a real good look. Today Briere said that we got a great player who we're going to like a lot in Buffalo. He may not be Richards but who cares. He adds a different dimension and has lots of potential to become a very good player. With what we're doing in Buffalo right now I believe this guy will have a break out year. Everything about him says he's a gamer as do most of the pundits. I don't think he should become everyones whipping boy because some are mad about not getting BR. I understand your frustration but think of how good this club could be if we got Statsny. In my mind BR was highly over rated simply because he is the only centre everyone is targeting. The sabres decided to not be lemmings and went in another direction. I have no doubt they'll solve their centre problems in time.

I got something different out of Lindy's interview. I heard him say that the reason they liked Leino was because he often played the role of center in the O zone (as opposed to what you are saying- there is no defined center role in the O zone). He was frequently the down low set up guy and played behind the net, a place typically for center to be.

My concerns with Leino are whether or not he can be the guy maintaining puck possession on zone entries. THAT is what this team was missing from it's "centers" last year. And it's what Briere's role was on the L-B-H line. If Leino can't be more effective than Boyes at controlling the puck on zone entry than this signing was a mistake. If he can do this well I think it will be OK.

Are you referring to the WGR interview from this morning or the Leino announcement press conference? I was referring to the WGR interview at 8am this morning where he foreshadowed a move like this saying that forwards are all the same in the offensive zone and where there is a difference is in the defensive zone. This was before they actually signed Leino.

Either way, I agree with you. If he is effective at controlling the puck on entry, then this is probably a decent signing and an upgrade over the current lack of centers on the team. And, if he can win more draws than Connolly and the other guys on the team except for Gaustad, I'm thrilled. The Sabres try to play a puck possession game but rarely can execute because they are generally terrible on draws except for Gaustad. If the Leino improves the team's overall faceoff percentage, then this helps with playing more of a puck possession style of game that the Sabres prefer to play, but haven't really been able to.

C'mon, we really going to play the numbers game on Connolly's injuries? I'll be right back, gotta go grab a calculator

??? We can't play the numbers game with Connolly's injuries but this guy can say Leino is "rarely injured" based on ONE season of NHL play? I'll play the numbers game.

His puck possession is fantastic. My concern is his lack of speed. Though he played with DB, he has to have some.

My memories of Leino are that he has very good puck possession skills down low and in the slot. I am more referring to his ability to effectively carry and keep the puck as he is entering the O zone. As good a stickhandler as Connolly was he was awful at it and Roy is average at best. Poor entry puck possession is why Lindy's scheme involves using the D as a 2nd wave to get the puck into the O zone. IMO we need Leino to be able to get the puck into the hashmarks under control consistently.

We talked about this the other day. Sign the second d-man and scratch together a group of centers. Which I would have been fine with. I'm not even concerned that they gave up on Richards without even trying. I get that. This move makes absolutely no sense. He's not a center.

Lindy thinks he is.

If you're right and he ISN'T a center, then you suffer through this year, which you just stated you're willing to do, and you move him to wing next year when several contracts expire. I do believe he is a solid 2nd line player. He was very impressive against the Sabres in the playoffs this year. I kind of see this move as similar to the one the Sabres made way back when to bring Briere in.

And I don't believe they are out of the center market until next off-season. I think they are still looking for 1 via a trade.

Regier says Leino fits into the top 6 at forward which puts him above TC in any capacity in my opinion. They had targeted Leino a while back according to Regier and have been very high on him for some time. I think he was referring to the playoffs where our scouts , coaches and management had a real good look. Today Briere said that we got a great player who we're going to like a lot in Buffalo. He may not be Richards but who cares. He adds a different dimension and has lots of potential to become a very good player. With what we're doing in Buffalo right now I believe this guy will have a break out year. Everything about him says he's a gamer as do most of the pundits. I don't think he should become everyones whipping boy because some are mad about not getting BR. I understand your frustration but think of how good this club could be if we got Statsny. In my mind BR was highly over rated simply because he is the only centre everyone is targeting. The sabres decided to not be lemmings and went in another direction. I have no doubt they'll solve their centre problems in time.

I'm not making Leino my whipping boy. I'm just extremely disappointed that they pulled out of the BR sweepstakes in favor of signing a inexperienced winger to a ridiculous contract based on one year of decent production with a way more offensively talented club. And think of how good this club will be if we get Stastny -- but you have to remember to subtract a Gerbe/Ennis/Roy/whatever. Now think of how good the club could be with Richards AND all of our current promising players and picks.

Lindy thinks he is.

If you're right and he ISN'T a center, then you suffer through this year, which you just stated you're willing to do, and you move him to wing next year when several contracts expire. I do believe he is a solid 2nd line player. He was very impressive against the Sabres in the playoffs this year. I kind of see this move as similar to the one the Sabres made way back when to bring Briere in.

And I don't believe they are out of the center market until next off-season. I think they are still looking for 1 via a trade.

I hope you are right.

Are you referring to the WGR interview from this morning or the Leino announcement press conference? I was referring to the WGR interview at 8am this morning where he foreshadowed a move like this saying that forwards are all the same in the offensive zone and where there is a difference is in the defensive zone. This was before they actually signed Leino.

I knew only of an afternoon interview. What you are describing almost sounds as if he was trying to soften up the faithful to prevent them from being too disappointed with today's results. <_<

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22540-detroit-red-wings-sign-finnish-prospect-ville-leino

"Possessed with great skating and deft stickhandling, Leino, who is a natural centre but can also line up on the wing, has been described as more of a playmaker than sniper, who may need some work on the defensive side."

uneasy feelings there

The Sabres were what, 10th, I think in scoring last year despite Roy missing so many games. They had to squeeze their way into the playoffs due to shaky D play. Whether they did much to help themselves on offense isn't so much an issue as the point they are SO much better defensively now. So even if Leino doesn't have an upside, he's essentially a wash when compared to Connolly's production.

And even if they stand pat for a bit, it's still possible that a trade or two occurs before October - it's not like the season starts Tuesday after all. In short, just kick back and enjoy the fact that they're a better team this week than they were last!

At center?

No. Better than Boyes was at center, equal with Boyes in terms of overall worth to the team.

I expect Stafford/Boyes/Leino are all going to be similar points producers when the season ends.

Vanek

Roy

Ennis

Pominville

Boyes

Stafford

Gerbe

Hecht

Leino

Ninth best forward.

Thanks for "" I fixed it for you. Consensus. Now he was regarded as top five UFA. Lets stick with that group and lets say compare playoff points between Leino and Connolly for example. Where are we?

Anyway good discussion with all of you... ultimately I am happy with the changes to the team in a matter of two weeks, but I was really expecting more at center and the Leino signing boggles my mind. I know it's a pipe dream but I hope I wake up tomorrow to find out that Buffalo traded Hecht & someone else to Florida then made a outrageous last minute offer to Richards.

The Sabres were what, 10th, I think in scoring last year despite Roy missing so many games. They had to squeeze their way into the playoffs due to shaky D play. Whether they did much to help themselves on offense isn't so much an issue as the point they are SO much better defensively now. So even if Leino doesn't have an upside, he's essentially a wash when compared to Connolly's production.

And even if they stand pat for a bit, it's still possible that a trade or two occurs before October - it's not like the season starts Tuesday after all. In short, just kick back and enjoy the fact that they're a better team this week than they were last!

and kick back I will, I'm ready for that, nothing to disagree with here

No. Better than Boyes was at center, equal with Boyes in terms of overall worth to the team.

I expect Stafford/Boyes/Leino are all going to be similar points producers when the season ends.

Would it take much to be better than Boyes at center?

I hope Roy stays healthy all season.

??? We can't play the numbers game with Connolly's injuries but this guy can say Leino is "rarely injured" based on ONE season of NHL play? I'll play the numbers game.

Over 2 seasons he missed 1 game (despite playing all last season with a hip issue) AND played in two post seasons without injury. When Connolly can actually play 80 games (which he hasn't done is 6 years), we'll talk.

If this will make you happier:

"Leino has demonstrated longevity in his short tenure in the starting lineup and the ability to play through injury. Conversely, Timothy Connolly has the makeup of an 80 year old osteoporotic woman."

Frankly Connolly is higher on my list than Leino, if for no other reason than he ACTUALLY plays center...

Can you find a single authoritative source that agrees with you?

I'll tell you what, look at what Leino got paid and look at what Mr. Connolly will sign for in this Center-poor market. THAT will tell you where they rank according to 30 GMs.

Flyers offered him $3M/yr. Leino declined it. Let's see where Timmy lands.

Archived