Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

I honestly don't think that we pattern our game very much after Detroit at all. We've have had neither the talent nor size up front that the contemporary Red Wings favor. We're not as free-wheeling as Philadelphia is, but with the number of young and growing offensive dynamos currently on the team and our growth defensively, I can only see this becoming more prevalent.

Our forwards have a completely different skill set than Detroit's forwards but Lindy talked very openly at the beginning of last season about emulating many elements of Detroit's system. They may not look quite the same due to adjustments for players, but I think the core of Lindy's current system is very similar to what Detroit does, especially as it pertains to offense through the neutral zone. Inside the O zone is a different matter. Lindy doesn't have the horses to do what Detroit does in the zone.

Good post and I hope you're right. Though I do want to point about Leino: 3 goals and 2 assists for a -1 in 11 playoff games this past season isn't anything to write home about... even if one of them buried the Sabres.

I like that Leino led the Flyers in playoff +/- (in addition to scoring 21 points in 19 games) in 2010. And even though his stats were down in last year's playoffs, he replaces a guy who hasn't scored a goal in his last 28 playoff games. So, if the choice was bringing in Leino versus re-signing Timmy, my preference is for Leino.

BTW - Interesting the Danny Briere was a -7 for Philly in last year's playoffs (second worst on team)

Guest Sloth

If there was rumor the Sabres would be getting Regehr, Ehroff and Leino by July 1st, I believe most Sabres fans would be saying there is no way that is true. Man, most NHL analysts wouldn't have believed that rumor. I am beyond excited w/ what Darcy and company have pulled off! The Sabres are already a much improved team, and I do believe they are not done yet. I will not be surprised if the Sabres get Spezza from Ottawa or Statsny from Colorado. Be excited guys! The Sabres image has done a complete 180. Buffalo has been one of the most talked about teams on NHL network. And a lot of it had to do w/ why Buffalo is now a place players should want to play.

All i've heard today is how upset buffalo fans are that we didn't get 31 year old richards and instead got a winger named Ville Leino at age 27.

Facts:

Leino is not a winger, he was moved to winger by the Red Wings when he joined them.

Leino played down low and behind net in Philly's offensive set ups...the position the center would normally be in, with most teams offensive setups

Leino played center til age 23 when he played in the Sigma Elite League over seas

In three seasons in that league...Leino played at Center and in year

56 GP 43 Points

50 GP 40 Points

50 GP 77 points

These are all while playing CENTER in the Sigma league

Leino is a CENTER that was converted to wing by the Red Wings when he came to the NHL. The wings at the time had their 4 centers so they moved him to Wing.

Leino is a CENTER and he's a GREAT CENTER.

So cheer up Buffalo...you now have two No 1 centers on this team.

For all the talk about Roy not being No 1 worthy. Compare his numbers, they are in line with Spezza and with Statsy two guys everyone wants to trade for.

The sabres have built a major team to contend and kept all their youth and their future intact in the process

Not that we need another thread on Leino, but you make good points. What is missing from his resume is a history of excellent performances, especially considering he's 27.

Certainly the potential is there and, like others, I will trust in Darcy. Obviously he and Ruff know more about Leino than everyone on this board put together, so I think we all have to trust that judgment. If they abandoned Richards just on the chance that they might lose Leino, that has to say something about the quality of the player.

Even more fun is coming...TRADES!!!

There's another reason Leino didn't like playing in Detroit. Leino was not a winger when he came to the NHL. He was a CENTER.

In 3 years in the Sigma league overseas....Leino plays center from age 20-23.

Those 3 years look like this

56 gp 43 points

50 gp 40 points

50 gp 77 points

Leino is a natural center....just look at how philly used him. He played down low and behind the net....on offenese. That is where a center would play, but Philly also was set at center so he remained a wing.

By coming to Buffalo Leino gets to go back to the position he's comfortable with and prefers.

With Leino being our Line 2 center with Boyes and Ennis or Strafford. I'm willing to bet Leino puts up close to 70 points or more as he's playing CENTER which is the position he prefers to play.

There's another reason Leino didn't like playing in Detroit. Leino was not a winger when he came to the NHL. He was a CENTER.

56 gp 43 points

50 gp 40 points

50 gp 77 points

Leino is a natural center....just look at how philly used him. He played down low and behind the net....on offenese. That is where a center would play, but Philly also was set at center so he remained a wing.

By coming to Buffalo Leino gets to go back to the position he's comfortable with and prefers.

With Leino being our Line 2 center with Boyes and Ennis or Strafford. I'm willing to bet Leino puts up close to 70 points or more as he's playing CENTER which is the position he prefers to play.

That was 5 years ago in a league not the NHL.

I still don't get the Kotalik point. Are you saying that he freelanced too much and that was what resulted in his departure? if so, I don't agree.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on Mancari, but it's an interesting question. I would probably lean in favor of your side on that one (ie that he will play more than 20 NHL games in 2 seasons) -- could easily go the other way though).

I THINK Kotalik is more of a ladie-dadie type and that didn't sit to well with Ruff. He tried to play more physical in the playoffs though. He's just another one of those guys that when I get to the pearly gates, I will ask, "What would he have looked like playing in Philly/Detroit/Vancouver/etc. early in his career?

I stepped out for a bit, so a belated thanks.

No time for personal issues here....it's a player thread. :D ;)

While DeLuca is right that you've decisively won this contest, I believe I won our last wager, which is still outstanding. That makes me the money player in this situation, the Ville Leino if you will.

Since you've been promulgating the doom-and-gloom theories, care to construct a double-or-nothing bet involving next season and/or the production of the FNGs?

You can cash out if you want. I will have to think of a good one. I do think the Sabres make the playoffs now so that won't work. Let it bubble to the top over the next few months. I'm sure it will write itself.

Although it remains to be seen if Leino can be a number 2 center on the Sabres, one thing is clear.

As Terry Pegula has stated, a Cup within "3 Seasons".

These are somewhat decent moves, but the Leino move is questionable. Only time will tell if it was the correct move.

The Sabres thought very high of him apparently.

I will say he'd make a very good like 3 center, line 2 is very questionable given the stats he acquired while playing with the likes of Briere (who'd I like the Sabres to trade for) but once again, only time will be the true measure of the amount of cap spent towards this signing.

A few things on Leino...

- I have no problem with the cap hit even though it is somewhat high. That is what happens in the FA market when the forward pickings are slim and Leino is one of the top UFA forwards.

- Why a 6 year deal for a guy without a lot of NHL games under his belt. Are you going to tell me that he would not have signed the same contract with a 4 year term(18 mil total)?

- He had hip surgery prior to the 10-11 season and then needed injections in the same hip around playoff time. I hope the Sabres didn't buy damaged goods.

- Supposedly he played center previously, but let's see if he can do it at the NHL level.

I THINK Kotalik is more of a ladie-dadie type and that didn't sit to well with Ruff. He tried to play more physical in the playoffs though. He's just another one of those guys that when I get to the pearly gates, I will ask, "What would he have looked like playing in Philly/Detroit/Vancouver/etc. early in his career?

You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry?

Lollygaggers?

Lollygaggers.

I like that Leino led the Flyers in playoff +/- (in addition to scoring 21 points in 19 games) in 2010. And even though his stats were down in last year's playoffs, he replaces a guy who hasn't scored a goal in his last 28 playoff games. So, if the choice was bringing in Leino versus re-signing Timmy, my preference is for Leino.

BTW - Interesting the Danny Briere was a -7 for Philly in last year's playoffs (second worst on team)

Exactly right. If someone had proposed a trade of TC for Leino straight up I think there are few few Sabres fans who would honestly say thats not a great deal. TC was brutal to watch last year. This is a significant upgrade. There is some risk - Leino has minimal NHL experience for his age and he has not played center in the NHL - but his game clearly seems to fit at center and there is every possibility that he is just coming in to his own.

A few things on Leino...

- He had hip surgery prior to the 10-11 season and then needed injections in the same hip around playoff time. I hope the Sabres didn't buy damaged goods.

:blink: :sick:

56 gp 43 points

50 gp 40 points

50 gp 77 points

Actually, in that final year, which was with a new team, he played RW. Here's what his coach said:

"He's a natural center and I moved him to right wing and it was better for him," Shedden said. "He's strong on the puck down low, he's a good cycle guy, and he draws a lot of penalties because of his puck control."

Another quote from the same coach:

"He's a heck of a competitor -- he probably led the league in practice fights," said Shedden, who will coach EV Zug in Switzerland next season. "He loves to come to the rink, he loves to practice, he loves to put his equipment on and compete."

Could shake things up a bit.

A few things on Leino...

- I have no problem with the cap hit even though it is somewhat high. That is what happens in the FA market when the forward pickings are slim and Leino is one of the top UFA forwards.

- Why a 6 year deal for a guy without a lot of NHL games under his belt. Are you going to tell me that he would not have signed the same contract with a 4 year term(18 mil total)?

- Supposedly he played center previously, but let's see if he can do it at the NHL level.

Wow, did not realize that.....

You can cash out if you want. I will have to think of a good one. I do think the Sabres make the playoffs now so that won't work. Let it bubble to the top over the next few months. I'm sure it will write itself.

That works. I will say that Leino should be involved.

i only joined this forum a day or two ago, but mostly have just sat back and read what the posters' have to say. i thought

it would be fun with all the excitement going on, but really, its almost depressing. i'll start by saying i'm a bills fan first, which i'm sure most people here are bills fans as well, but the sAAAbres are right there with them for me.

everybody was on cloud nine after the robyn aquisition and the ehrhoff pickup, and yes we had hopes for richards just to show eveyone in the nhl

how much financial muscle we have now and that t-pegs is for real. i believe DR has always been a good gm, and LR a great coach. tenure speaks for itself.

only issue was this team was handcuffed for years after the rigas debacle(and a small thanks to TG for saving a bankrupt team and keeping them here), well now we have a big pocket owner who is clean and wants to win(damn i wish i could say that about the bills).

he has only owned the team since february, and look whats happened so far. we traded for the d enforecer we've wanted for years in robyn, a true offensive defenseman qb in ehrhoff, a solid winger at last years trade deadline when we were on a roll in the second half so we could make the playoffs. give boyes a

chance to evolve with the rest of the young talent we have.

idc what anyone says about leino, we all watched him in last years series loss. we all know he can make plays. everybody gets overpaid in FA, thats part of it, thats why WE as sAAbres fans have never been a part of it. now we are for years to come. stop over analyzing everything. you must take chances on guys with talent and upside(briere?), and the money is not coming out of our pockets. if some signings flop, like they do all over the league, it doesnt matter. this man has so much money and wants to be a winner so bad(god bless us finally)he can bury bad contracts and money like throwing away skittles. HE DONT CARE. HE WANT CUP.

our team is greatly improved, and the pieces we have can only get better when you add even more good pieces around them. i dont see us losing ANY of our good raised players again, but just adding to the kitty. im excited as hell for this year, and its only going to get better.

some of you are a classic case of give a man a foot, he wants a mile. chill the f##k out and enjoy our new found prosperity. i cant wait for october.

let it rain... GO SABRES!!

Archived