Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

Leino's double the points for double the money of Talbot.

And Talbot is Quintuple the hits and an agitator.

I have no problem with signing Lieno, but again....no instinctive grit in your top 3 lines. Lieno, Vanek, Stafford all would benefit from a Hartnell type in receiving more room and knowing they have a "wingman" out there. I don't know how brave Lieno will be centering Pominville and Hecht when he is coming from a situation where Hartnell had his back and Briere was a waterbug with fangs.

And to see Mancari go to Vancouver....I can only laugh!

Marcus Foligno...Vancouver Canuck 2016.

I have no problem with signing Lieno, but again....no instinctive grit in your top 3 lines. Lieno, Vanek, Stafford all would benefit from a Hartnell type in receiving more room and knowing they have a "wingman" out there. I don't know how brave Lieno will be centering Pominville and Hecht when he is coming from a situation where Hartnell had his back and Briere was a waterbug with fangs.

The future. Kassian and Foligno will be up this year or next. It'll fit nicely.

I have no problem with signing Lieno, but again....no instinctive grit in your top 3 lines. Lieno, Vanek, Stafford all would benefit from a Hartnell type in receiving more room and knowing they have a "wingman" out there. I don't know how brave Lieno will be centering Pominville and Hecht

when he is coming from a situation where Hartnell had his back and Briere was a waterbug with fangs.

I'll take any bet you want that Mancari doesn't play more then 20 games the next two years.

I'm thinking with his genes Marcus has a little more potential than Mark. Vancouver has been dipping into our waste basket for years. I'm hoping young Foligno never ends up there.

I'm thinking with his genes Marcus has a little more potential than Mark. Vancouver has been dipping into our waste basket for years. I'm hoping young Foligno never ends up there.

That was my original point. They took Pyatt and I made a bet with Webster that Bernier and Gaustad would make mad $$ because vancouver would be on the prowl. They have identified a few things about the Sabres that they keep going to the well with. One of them is that they feel they can get more out of a big man than Lindy.

You asked for instinctive grit, not leadership.

You are right....but what happens is that guys who have it end up toning it down or losing it with the Sabres because there is nobody on the top lines that sets an example, and Lindy doesn't really encourage it. I think Ruff appreciates the fact that a guy can fortify his position on the ice, but he does not make that type of play a priority.

You are right....but what happens is that guys who have it end up toning it down or losing it with the Sabres because there is nobody on the top lines that sets an example, and Lindy doesn't really encourage it. I think Ruff appreciates the fact that a guy can fortify his position on the ice, but he does not make that type of play a priority.

I think Leino's that type of person. He's good down low. Stafford has built himself into being better down low. We could get into the whole power forward thing again, but Leino's a good piece of the puzzle. So r Kass an Foligno.

I agree with you here. This roster has the defensive and offensive skills to be a winner. The difference make will be toughness, and they will have to learn that. Who could we bring in to coach that?

I think Leino's that type of personal. He's good down low. Stafford has built himself into being better down low. We could get into the whole power forward thing again, but Leino's a good piece of the puzzle. So r Kass an Foligno.

I agree and I don't think the Sabres should give away their young talent just yet. The fact the Leino can play center and Ennis is a playmaker the Sabres should be fine. It would be great if they could land a Statsny. Would take him over Richards any day. Still think the Sabres should keep their powder dry and start working to fill a need with someone other than a free agent.

I think Leino's that type of person. He's good down low. Stafford has built himself into being better down low. We could get into the whole power forward thing again, but Leino's a good piece of the puzzle. So r Kass an Foligno.

But you see....the Sabres expect Lieno to take "the next step". But what happens when he lines up at center next to Hecht and Pominville, who are both more likely to hand you flowers from a tamborine at the airport than ride you into the boards? Briere and Hartnell are basically nastier, more talented versions of Pominville and Hecht. Now Lieno is expected to lead, but has no backup.

They still may make a deal for something. Again, not crying about any of the moves....They got a Daddy for the Blueline...I really think they need a few up front.

But you see....the Sabres expect Lieno to take "the next step". But what happens when he lines up at center next to Hecht and Pominville, who are both more likely to hand you flowers from a tamborine at the airport than ride you into the boards? Briere and Hartnell are basically nastier, more talented versions of Pominville and Hecht. Now Lieno is expected to lead, but has no backup.

They still may make a deal for something. Again, not crying about any of the moves....They got a Daddy for the Blueline...I really think they need a few up front.

:clapping:

if we win the cup, the bowing shall commence. I am more than a little concerned that Darcy Regier was thinking the same things I was.

Darcy wasn't thinking like you were. At least not as his first choice. Leino is his fallback signing. You are gonna break your arm patting yourself on the back over a fallback signing.

Did you listen to Darcy's presser? Leino was plan B when they realized that it was long-ish odds to get Richards and they still needed to work on getting a different forward in to play center. Regier knows we need a #1 center, he went this route because a #1 c isn't available right now. T'was a strategic retreat, it wasn't their first choice.

I agree and I don't think the Sabres should give away their young talent just yet. The fact the Leino can play center and Ennis is a playmaker the Sabres should be fine. It would be great if they could land a Statsny. Would take him over Richards any day. Still think the Sabres should keep their powder dry and start working to fill a need with someone other than a free agent.

We need to be buyers at the trade deadline. Get to February with a good record, bring in what you need for 11-12 and beyond. All these dates mean something now.

Trade deadline.

Buyout day

July 1

Game #1, etc.

Another way to view this situation is to compare it with the Yankees last off season. They met many times with their number one target Cliff Lee, who decided to take his time with his decision. In the meantime the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford and traded for Adrian Gonzalez and improved their roster immensely. Lee signs with the Phillies and New York misses out on a big name free agent. Darcy did talk to Pat Morris this AM and maybe the result of the conversation led them to believe Richards was a long shot. Rather than sitting waiting for Richards to make his decision they signed Leino, probably the second best forward available. Thus guaranteeing the Sabres do not come away empty handed. The Sabres are a much better team then they were seven days ago. Overall a very productive week by our new management.

Another way to view this situation is to compare it with the Yankees last off season. They met many times with their number one target Cliff Lee, who decided to take his time with his decision. In the meantime the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford and traded for Adrian Gonzalez and improved their roster immensely. Lee signs with the Phillies and New York misses out on a big name free agent. Darcy did talk to Pat Morris this AM and maybe the result of the conversation led them to believe Richards was a long shot. Rather than sitting waiting for Richards to make his decision they signed Leino, probably the second best forward available. Thus guaranteeing the Sabres do not come away empty handed. The Sabres are a much better team then they were seven days ago. Overall a very productive week by our new management.

This is how I understood it to have gone down given what I heard in Darcy's presser.

I agree with you here. This roster has the defensive and offensive skills to be a winner. The difference make will be toughness, and they will have to learn that. Who could we bring in to coach that?

Rob Ray confirmed today what I have thought about Lindy for a while. He says Lindy needs to be in charge, no questions asked. The subject of Drury came about and Ray said Drury is the type of guy who likes to talk with the coach as an equal and is in constant communication with him while he expects his fellow players to constantly be on the ball and think of ways to improve. He said a player like Drury rubs on Lindy's nerves over time because Drury suggests when the guys need a break or how to do something. Lindy wants it to be his show.

I think that is why you see a lack of leadership on this team. These young kids you have that instinctive grit and character slowly lose their will and get tamed. Vanek was a net crasher in college and Lindy whipped him for years. Stafford fought Chris Neil on instinct...now he says he doesn't need to worry about fighting. The point about Vancouver fits. Pyatt was "Quiet" here, and he would be leading the Sabres in hits the past 3 years total. Paille and MacArthur were also-rans. It's the old guys, the career Sabres/Amerks like Max, Kotalik, Kalinin..who fizzle out when leaving for the most part. A lot of young guys seem to find new life.

Archived