Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

Can we start a new Ville Leino thread in case anyone actually wants to talk about him? I'm being serious. I keep clicking on it, hoping that something actually pertains to the players. Unfortunately, if anything else does get said about him, I probably won't see it, because I'm not checking this thread anymore.

Can we start a new Ville Leino thread in case anyone actually wants to talk about him? I'm being serious. I keep clicking on it, hoping that something actually pertains to the players. Unfortunately, if anything else does get said about him, I probably won't see it, because I'm not checking this thread anymore.

I think somebody did.

Ok, then I'll repost my last remark from the other thread:

So, now that we know what we know about Rags-to-Richards, is it fair to take the professionals at their word and accept that they learned what they needed to learn without TP taking a trip to personally meet with Morris or Richards?

In any event, I'm still not thrilled with this signing. It just seems like a LOT for a guy who has never put up big numbers, even if he was playing out of position.

And, yeah, I'd love to be wrong on that. I'll be rooting for him; he starts here with a clean slate (I will try to forgive for Game 6).

I don't blame you. I just signed up because I was pumped about what the Sabres have been doing and wanted to get into some conversations about that, but I found myself being sucked into the black hole of pessimism that seems to still exist from previous regimes.

As for Ville, I think he is a GREAT acquisition.... I'm glad we got him at any price.

Anybody can look back at a player and see what he has done. But for Lindy and company to pick up Leino at that price they MUST have some foresight... I have faith in this club in doing the right thing and for the first time in a long time I feel like supporting them.

If Leino turns out to be worth the money Darcy, Lindy and Terry will start showing the hockey world what geniuses they are....

If not then oh well.... it's back to the drawing board.

Anyone can judge a player on what he has done..... what about being able to look into the intangibles and see his upside before anyone else sees it...

Ville could be just that guy....

He did score the winning goal in OT in game 6 to keep the Flyers alive to beat us in game 7.....

Maybe this guys shows up in big games which is who we want on this team.

I like this team a lot more than I did a year ago.

I really like him as a player and was actually one of my targets. I understand why they think he will fit into Ruff's system. It's just when you throw almost $5 mil per season at him.....suddenly the Stafford contract looks good in comparison.

X's 6 years.

Anybody can look back at a player and see what he has done. But for Lindy and company to pick up Leino at that price they MUST have some foresight... I have faith in this club in doing the right thing and for the first time in a long time I feel like supporting them.

If Leino turns out to be worth the money Darcy, Lindy and Terry will start showing the hockey world what geniuses they are....

If not then oh well.... it's back to the drawing board.

Anyone can judge a player on what he has done..... what about being able to look into the intangibles and see his upside before anyone else sees it...

Ville could be just that guy....

He did score the winning goal in OT in game 6 to keep the Flyers alive to beat us in game 7.....

Maybe this guys shows up in big games which is who we want on this team.

I like this team a lot more than I did a year ago.

They are also the same group that think Hecht is a capable center, so you need to take that with a huge grain of salt.

They are also the same group that think Hecht is a capable center, so you need to take that with a huge grain of salt.

I watched Boston fans cry for Claude Julien's head right up until they won the Cup.... throughout most of the playoffs (just do a search on ESPN's message boards)

I guess I have to just accept that there will be those people that would rather focus on the bad (any bad) than the good.

We could make 100 great moves and win the Cup and there would be people clamoring that they didn't do it in the right fashion.

Not sure I get that but it is what it is.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride.....

I'm happy with the moves made but it's just hard to be excited about the Leino signing. Obviously there's the initial disappointment in knowing we didn't get Richards, but even after I got over that, the Leino signing is just a huge risk imo. Brad Boyes supposedly played center too, and in the grand scheme of things Leino's playoffs numbers aren't THAT impressive -- I mean, they are, but they also came on one of the more stacked rosters in the NHL. Tim Connolly averaged over a point per game in the 05-06 playoffs with a equally stacked roster. Having not watched 82 Flyers games last year, I don't really know what to expect from Leino. I don't know how much of that offense he creates himself, or how many goals were Brad Boyes-esque putt-ins. What I do know is that even if he turns out to be a fairly capable center, he's not a "true #1" like we've all been hoping for.

And SIX YEARS? The Ehrhoff signing makes sense -- long term deal and big money for a PROVEN defenseman who provides EXACTLY what the team is missing on the back end. Overpaying for him was the best money this franchise has spent in years. But why overpay a guy who doesn't immediately address one of our specific needs?

More of my thoughts on the Leino signing and Free Agency as a whole in my latest blog post if anyone is interested... http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=630

What more arrogant action can you take than to claim and repeat dozens of times that Buffalo will be/is, Hockey Heaven....after the cluster#### we have seen over the last decade...then deciding to keep 98% of the exact same decision makers on board?

And how ironic is it to see the team get their panties in a bunch when a 150lb, 50yo hockey writer steps on a sacred logo which covers 60% of the floor...when these exact same players have failed to step up for each other time and time again over the years?

Not 98% of the decision-makers. Not even close.

Again, you are free to believe that DR made all (or 98%) of the decisions under previous ownership, but it is disingenuous to pretend that this is not a highly disputed factual assertion (and one that is absolutely critical to the entire analysis).

As for rebuking a sportswriter for stepping on the logo, the same thing happens in every locker room, in every sport, in which there is a logo.

Nice to see you put all of your thoughts and words in my mouth. I said "Roy will always be a two at best" more of a three. Thats just my opinion.It is my view of DR playing for this team. The rest is your conjecture, opinion and misinterpetation of my remarks. No disrespect to you or Mr. Roy intended. IMO he will center the two line this year, providing they do not trade for a real #1, and will rotate through the one when Lindy feels the need to change up.He would be more usefull on the three , to make a third scoring line, than on the two . I would prefer another playmaker at center on the two line. The 2nd line wingers production would go way up vs a shoot first center like DR ...IMO. Roy on the 3rd line makes a real contribution to the team in that he creates a third scoring line ALL BY HIMSELF.He gets to shoot all day long, which is his game. I must admit I would trade him in a heartbeat for a real 1 center if i needed him to make the deal...as will the Sabres should the situation arise.

Boston had three lines that could go to the net and score.

This is pretty much where I am on Roy as well. It's also worth mentioning that he was terrible in the playoffs vs. the Bruins 2 seasons ago, and that the team was awful last year until the exact moment in which he got hurt.

So, now that we know what we know about Rags-to-Richards, is it fair to take the professionals at their word and accept that they learned what they needed to learn without TP taking a trip to personally meet with Morris or Richards?

In any event, I'm still not thrilled with this signing. It just seems like a LOT for a guy who has never put up big numbers, even if he was playing out of position.

And, yeah, I'd love to be wrong on that. I'll be rooting for him; he starts here with a clean slate (I will try to forgive for Game 6).

Absolutely.

I missed that whole exchange. I have no problem with your actions and would expect the same if it happens again.

As far as poster on poster violence, though, there were way more attacks on PA than he ever gave out,.. by a lot. Just sayin'.

I agree with both of these and will say again: Come home PA! We miss you.

Leino was quoted as saying that he didn't like playing in Detroit. Said it was no fun. He enjoyed playing in the freewheeling style that Philly plays. Lindy seems to pattern his game after Detroit. Hmmmm... :unsure:

I'm suprised noone else picked up on this.

Leino was quoted as saying that he didn't like playing in Detroit. Said it was no fun. He enjoyed playing in the freewheeling style that Philly plays. Lindy seems to pattern his game after Detroit. Hmmmm... :unsure:

I was about to post it yesterday, albeit with a snarky comment towards Lindy's SYSTEM. Someone listed a few quotes and I just laughed. "I need to have fun out there."

Good luck with that cowboy. Maybe Al Kotalik will tell you how that ends up.

Hasn't the argument also been that Lindy could no longer use that free-wheeling style after we lost Briere and Drury? Maybe the goal is to bring that style back and get away from the defensive game we've seen the last couple seasons. An improved D should help that.

Hasn't the argument also been that Lindy could no longer use that free-wheeling style after we lost Briere and Drury? Maybe the goal is to bring that style back and get away from the defensive game we've seen the last couple seasons. An improved D should help that.

Yep.

Tim Connolly averaged over a point per game in the 05-06 playoffs with a equally stacked roster.

What I do know is that even if he turns out to be a fairly capable center, he's not a "true #1" like we've all been hoping for.

TC was indeed magnificent in the 2006 playoffs, and I will always have a soft spot for him in my heart because of 7-6, but that was over a 7-game stretch that covered the 1st round and 1 game of the 2nd round. He then suffered a brutal injury from which he never fully recovered. He certainly never again approached that level of production in the playoffs. Leino, in his first 2 full NHL seasons, was great for 5 consecutive playoff rounds before he (like all of his teammates) had a crappy losing round against the SC winners this year.

I certainly don't disagree that I would rather have had Richards, but it does seem like no one other than the Rangers really had a chance as long as the Rangers stayed in the ballpark in terms of $. I also think there is a very real possibility that Leino turns into a good-to-very good center. Evidently he feels that he's a natural center and he wants to play center -- neither of which is true for Boyes or Hecht.

This is a reasonable enough point, but Lindy certainly has gotten a good long look at Leino and, based on Lindy's words and demeanor at the presser, he really likes him. I think this is going to work.

I was about to post it yesterday, albeit with a snarky comment towards Lindy's SYSTEM. Someone listed a few quotes and I just laughed. "I need to have fun out there."

Good luck with that cowboy. Maybe Al Kotalik will tell you how that ends up.

You mean the guy who had by far the best seasons of his career in Lindy's system? Seasons that far outstripped anything ever produced by Pyatt, Bernier or Paille for any team?

TC was indeed magnificent in the 2006 playoffs, and I will always have a soft spot for him in my heart because of 7-6, but that was over a 7-game stretch that covered the 1st round and 1 game of the 2nd round. He then suffered a brutal injury from which he never fully recovered. He certainly never again approached that level of production in the playoffs. Leino, in his first 2 full NHL seasons, was great for 5 consecutive playoff rounds before he (like all of his teammates) had a crappy losing round against the SC winners this year.

I certainly don't disagree that I would rather have had Richards, but it does seem like no one other than the Rangers really had a chance as long as the Rangers stayed in the ballpark in terms of $. I also think there is a very real possibility that Leino turns into a good-to-very good center. Evidently he feels that he's a natural center and he wants to play center -- neither of which is true for Boyes or Hecht.

This is a reasonable enough point, but Lindy certainly has gotten a good long look at Leino and, based on Lindy's words and demeanor at the presser, he really likes him. I think this is going to work.

Good post and I hope you're right. Though I do want to point about Leino: 3 goals and 2 assists for a -1 in 11 playoff games this past season isn't anything to write home about... even if one of them buried the Sabres.

This is true but DR seems to be building a Detroit-style team right now, not an 06 Sabres-style team.

I don't know that I put much weight in Leino's statement. I just thought it was interesting and a tad ironic. I'm not gonna get my dander up about it unless there appears to be an on-ice problem with Leino.

You mean the guy who had by far the best seasons of his career in Lindy's system? Seasons that far outstripped anything ever produced by Pyatt, Bernier or Paille for any team?

I'm saying with his personality and style of play.

That reminds me....Webster keeps ignoring me because I want to accept his Mancari bet.

I honestly don't think that we pattern our game very much after Detroit at all. We've have had neither the talent nor size up front that the contemporary Red Wings favor. We're not as free-wheeling as Philadelphia is, but with the number of young and growing offensive dynamos currently on the team and our growth defensively, I can only see this becoming more prevalent.

As for Leino in general, I feel like he's a great and growing player. His playoff stats are solid and his point totals last season would have been good enough for second on our roster (and no, I don't care that he only missed one game vs Stafford and Pominville's more heavily truncated seasons). There's lots of potential there and while I do think we overpaid for him, that's what you do when you're trying to snag a top talent on the first day of Free Agency. The "I'm going to give a discount to go to Buffalo" isn't going to go into effect until we actually do some winning. So, I'm okay.

If viewed as a center, which is where he played on the ice (even if he wasn't taking draws most of the time) I think he's easily the second best on the market behind Richards. I would also compare his contract with Pominville's as oppose to Roy's when it comes to figuring if he's been overpayed. I can't wait to see how this team looks*.

*All that being said, I do want us to land a whale through trades and would rather see Leino with Roy and Stafford/Gerbe/Ennis on our second line.

I'm saying with his personality and style of play.

That reminds me....Webster keeps ignoring me because I want to accept his Mancari bet.

I still don't get the Kotalik point. Are you saying that he freelanced too much and that was what resulted in his departure? if so, I don't agree.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on Mancari, but it's an interesting question. I would probably lean in favor of your side on that one (ie that he will play more than 20 NHL games in 2 seasons) -- could easily go the other way though).

Archived