Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

I am not at all thrilled with the idea of a SRV line return but I think that is the most likely #1 line to start the season. And I think Leino would be a great fit with Ennis and Boyes. Leino is really good at possession down low and that isn't Ennis or Boyes' strong suit so I think Putting Leino with those two creates the best matchup of skill sets. It'll be interesting to see how the chemistry works among the various combinations of Vanek/Ennis/Roy/Leino/Stafford/Boyes.

I think the Gerbe Hecht Pommer line is interesting. And it is one I expect to see on opening day as well. Gerbe should bring an element to Hecht and Pommers' game that they really haven't seen when they've been linemates in the past. IMO Gerbe is going to be the down low guy and Pommer will be free to work the high slot and get off that terrific shot.

Good stuff, especially the bolded part. I complain about Pommer as much as anyone, but I've been looking forward to seeing this line since I started thinking about the lines, and I think you nailed the reasons why. I also think Gerbe is going to work his butt off this summer and have a good year next year -- maybe 25+ goals.

As for SRV, you could definitely be right. I just feel like it's the same crappy movie I've seen 200 times since Black Sunday. It's not good enough and I want something else.

No doubt with Kotalik, but looking at the lineup you posted above, it's hard to make the case for Hecht still being a top 6 winger (unless Boyes has really lost his game). And it seems a waste not to put a better center between Gerbe and Pominville. Whether they upgrade that spot by binging in a top center that bumps Roy and Leino down, or they just bring in a guy who's better than Hecht at center, they need a better 3rd center; and I agree that Gaustad is probably not that guy.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I thought Hecht had a pretty good stretch at center last year with Pommer and Vanek on the wings when everyone else was injured. I think he can carry the mail pretty well as a #3 center, especially with 2 quality wingers like Pommer and Gerbe. I'd much rather unload Kotalik than Hecht, who I can see having a pretty good comeback year, especially since it's his contract year.

Things can change quickly. A lot of teams didn't get what they needed this week.

Buffalo IMO got three of top 10 players availble out there. It was a hell of a week for the club. The tricky thing here out is for teams have to see what they have in terms of D men at their development camps. I like how Buffalo is sitting.

Amen, brother! Testify!

Rob Ray confirmed today what I have thought about Lindy for a while. He says Lindy needs to be in charge, no questions asked. The subject of Drury came about and Ray said Drury is the type of guy who likes to talk with the coach as an equal and is in constant communication with him while he expects his fellow players to constantly be on the ball and think of ways to improve. He said a player like Drury rubs on Lindy's nerves over time because Drury suggests when the guys need a break or how to do something. Lindy wants it to be his show.

FWIW ...I heard Rob Ray address the Drury situation friday on WGR and his Time Warner show a few days earlier.

I got something totally different from the context.....

1) Lindy expects captains to address him directly and speak for the entire team.

2) Drury (if he came back to the Sabres) could never have that role again.

3) If Drury came back and tried to act like the captain he once was, it would annoy the other players.

I thought Rob Ray was really funny saying this. My take was that Drury is the kind of player that wants to step forward to be that guy, but at this point in his career it is not only inappropriate, but an irritating thing to try to do.

This was all in the context of Drury "coming back",

But that's just how I heard it - Coming from Rob Ray....who just gets funnier every time I hear him.

I'm trying to figure out why it isn't 3 of the top 5?

me too, but not that. we only signed the top dman, and the second rated forward. the other dman came via trade. 2 signings, 1 huge deal. all in all, great weekend for our club. not trying to be a smartass, i'm too new here for that...yet

[/b]

Has Simon Gagne signed? Speaking of other possibilities. For a little more money you get a much better player.

It is posts like this that get lost in the shuffle that need to be highlighted. Gagne a much better player? And according to you Connolly is the stiff of a lifetime. And Leino is the worst signing of Regier's career. Let's see what the market has to say on your ability to evaluate hockey talent.

Gagne gets two years from the Kings for $7.0M in an overheated market. Connolly gets $9.5M for two years. Leino gets $27M for 6 years. And Gagne is a much better player than Connolly and Leino? Wow-- the NHL has the stupidest set of GMs on the planet if you are right in your talent evaluations. Kovalchuk anyone?

It is posts like this that get lost in the shuffle that need to be highlighted. Gagne a much better player? And according to you Connolly is the stiff of a lifetime. And Leino is the worst signing of Regier's career. Let's see what the market has to say on your ability to evaluate hockey talent.

Gagne gets two years from the Kings for $7.0M in an overheated market. Connolly gets $9.5M for two years. Leino gets $27M for 6 years. And Gagne is a much better player than Connolly and Leino? Wow-- the NHL has the stupidest set of GMs on the planet if you are right in your talent evaluations. Kovalchuk anyone?

Concerns for injuries will always a be a consideration for Simon Gagne and will effect what he can get as far as compensation. Even with the injury issues he is an overall better player than a guy with 30 career goals and Tim Connolly who's time here in Buffalo speaks for it's self. And if you want to run to the playoff stats to try and build Leino up just note Gagne has 24 points over the last two seasons in the playoffs.

Gagne would have been an outstanding pickup for the Buffalo Sabres, much better than a 27 project with limited NHL experience and success.

Are you now on record stating that Connolly's contract with the Leafs is a good contract?

Concerns for injuries will always a be a consideration for Simon Gagne and will effect what he can get as far as compensation. Even with the injury issues he is an overall better player than a guy with 30 career goals and Tim Connolly who's time here in Buffalo speaks for it's self. And if you want to run to the playoff stats to try and build Leino up just note Gagne has 24 points over the last two seasons in the playoffs.

Gagne would have been an outstanding pickup for the Buffalo Sabres, much better than a 27 project with limited NHL experience and success.

Are you now on record stating that Connolly's contract with the Leafs is a good contract?

I've always liked Gagne, but there is no way he's a better pickup than Leino. Longevity as bad as TC, only close to a full season once in past four years. 3 years older than Leino, has been trending downward in G/A/P and +/- for 3 years (despite playing for high octane offense), Can't play a shred of center. We don't know if Leino will thrive there, but we do know it's his preferred position and he played like a center while being on the wing. Doesn't hurt he's good on the F/O.

4 years ago this would have been better, but I don't see how it's bettern NOW.

I am not at all thrilled with the idea of a SRV line return but I think that is the most likely #1 line to start the season. And I think Leino would be a great fit with Ennis and Boyes. Leino is really good at possession down low and that isn't Ennis or Boyes' strong suit so I think Putting Leino with those two creates the best matchup of skill sets. It'll be interesting to see how the chemistry works among the various combinations of Vanek/Ennis/Roy/Leino/Stafford/Boyes.

I think the Gerbe Hecht Pommer line is interesting. And it is one I expect to see on opening day as well. Gerbe should bring an element to Hecht and Pommers' game that they really haven't seen when they've been linemates in the past. IMO Gerbe is going to be the down low guy and Pommer will be free to work the high slot and get off that terrific shot.

Good post. I agree on the srv line thought completely. Vanek seems to play better without Roy..I would go straight out of the box with Leino on that line and maybe even think about Boyce on the LW rather than Stafford. His passing skills and physical game are more developed than Staffords. I hope lindy gives Leino and Vanek a chance to find the chemistry. If they do, Vanek will give Leino numbers he has not seen and Leino will take him to 50, especially if that new pp clicks and Erhoff is as good as getting the puck to the net as i hope he may be. I would run that ways to see what mterializes or until they trade for a real 1 center which they will do before too long. Also agree on the GHP line , although i fear Hechts time may be limited. Roy belongs with Stafford on a second scoring line, especially if Lindy can get Drew to go to the net when DR shoots from the blue line.

I've always liked Gagne, but there is no way he's a better pickup than Leino. Longevity as bad as TC, only close to a full season once in past four years. 3 years older than Leino, has been trending downward in G/A/P and +/- for 3 years (despite playing for high octane offense), Can't play a shred of center. We don't know if Leino will thrive there, but we do know it's his preferred position and he played like a center while being on the wing. Doesn't hurt he's good on the F/O.

Leino only has one full season in his career, as was noted by Labatt, had hip surgery before last season and required shots in the playoffs.

The best comparable for Leino is Fernando Pisani. A player that came in and had a great playoffs one season, 18 points in 2005-06, and never really had great success after that.

At the end of the day Leino is a older player that has 30 career goals in 149 games and cashed in on a 19 goal 53 point contract year. As a known/proven NHL commodity their is no comparison between Gagne and Leino.

Leino only has one full season in his career, as was noted by Labatt, had hip surgery before last season and required shots in the playoffs.

The best comparable for Leino is Fernando Pisani. A player that came in and had a great playoffs one season, 18 points in 2005-06, and never really had great success after that.

At the end of the day Leino is a older player that has 30 career goals in 149 games and cashed in on a 19 goal 53 point contract year. As a known/proven NHL commodity their is no comparison between Gagne and Leino.

He played through much of his hip problems, to me that accounts for something when comparing to a player averaging 56 games over the last 4 years due to injury.

You're comparing their entire body of work. That's not the only thing I'm relying on when deciding who's a better pickup, which you proposed to be Gagne. Using that logic, let's see if Forsberg's available.

He played through much of his hip problems, to me that accounts for something when comparing to a player averaging 56 games over the last 4 years due to injury.

You're comparing their entire body of work. That's not the only thing I'm relying on when deciding who's a better pickup, which you proposed to be Gagne. Using that logic, let's see if Forsberg's available.

Forsberg is physically unable to play. Gagne is able to play so there really is no comparison.

True any G.M. surrounds himself with knowledgable experienced people to help make decisions. Thats exactly how a business ceo does it. Thats how Pegula does it. But you're not giving Regier enough credit as a G.M. He is evreyones boss except Pegula and Black. That puts him above being simply a mouthpiece whom everyone else simply says fetch to. Many of the bad decisions and many of the good are probably on Darcy simply because he said 'make it so' or ' we'll go in this direction' or ' I think we'll try this one out of the 3 options'. I think Pegula most likely puts as much trust in Darcys ability and experience as Darcy puts in the scouting department. Good GM'S make decisions that improve teams. They don't just pour the coffee.

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking when I read that post. And for what it's worth, I like the Leino signing and the fact they bailed on Richards to do it. Even if they didn't expect that BR was going to sign with the Rags anyway (which I'm sure they did), they knew he'd go for over 6M at a long term. Not worth it IMO, or better to say: not worth missing out on Leino. It was a long shot for sure. While he's a great player, just having Richards wouldn't automatically bring us the cup. Just look at post 2004 Tampa and Dallas. From what I've read Leino may be a very capable pivot with a bit of an edge. I like it.

:lol: Pisani and Leino both play in the NHL. They have that in common.

Maybe I'm missing something. Their skill sets are very different.

If I compared to Pisani (from about 5 years ago) to anyone, it would be Sean Bergenheim today.

Leino...if you are looking for a comparable, you have to at least talk about someone with vision and excellent puck possession skills.

No, I'm on record as saying your views on players are often wrong. Gagne has injury issues? What about Connolly? The market says Connolly is worth $1m more per year than Gagne with similar health issues--but you say Connolly is awful and Gagne is an "outstanding" player. Then you cite a bunch of master of the obvious stats, which do not tell the whole story unless you are better than the market. If you were, you would not be here, I assure you.

For me to credit your views, I have to assume you are more capable from your armchair position than 30 GMs whose job it is to manage teams and rosters. Those who can, do, those who can't, criticize. It is easy to see why you are where you are.

Neither does the market--only DeLuca sees it.

No, I'm on record as saying your views on players are often wrong. Gagne has injury issues? What about Connolly? The market says Connolly is worth $1m more per year than Gagne with similar health issues--but you say Connolly is awful and Gagne is an "outstanding" player. Then you cite a bunch of master of the obvious stats, which do not tell the whole story unless you are better than the market. If you were, you would not be here, I assure you.

For me to credit your views, I have to assume you are more capable from your armchair position than 30 GMs whose job it is to manage teams and rosters. Those who can, do, those who can't, criticize. It is easy to see why you are where you are.

Yet, here I am talking about those players and you are here talking about me? Interesting. ;)

Yet, here I am talking about those players and you are here talking about me? Interesting. ;)

Not talking about you, talking about your views on players, which, of course, is not the same thing. Your view that Gagne is a far better player than Leino is almost laughable, given how the market values these players--and the market is set by people who run the NHL. I am delighted to have Leino at center as compared to Connolly, and I want no part of Gagne at this point any more than I want Kovalchuk. But your views on players tend to be so off the mark at times, it requires comment. :thumbsup:

If there was rumor the Sabres would be getting Regehr, Ehroff and Leino by July 1st, I believe most Sabres fans would be saying there is no way that is true. Man, most NHL analysts wouldn't have believed that rumor. I am beyond excited w/ what Darcy and company have pulled off! The Sabres are already a much improved team, and I do believe they are not done yet. I will not be surprised if the Sabres get Spezza from Ottawa or Statsny from Colorado. Be excited guys! The Sabres image has done a complete 180. Buffalo has been one of the most talked about teams on NHL network. And a lot of it had to do w/ why Buffalo is now a place players should want to play.

It's really nice to see others that would rather focus in on the positives instead of seeking out every little negative thing that happens.

The Sabres are on the rise and the ride is JUST BEGINNING.

My hat is to Terry Pegula and Co.

Not talking about you, talking about your views on players, which, of course, is not the same thing. Your view that Gagne is a far better player than Leino is almost laughable, given how the market values these players--and the market is set by people who run the NHL. I am delighted to have Leino at center as compared to Connolly, and I want no part of Gagne at this point any more than I want Kovalchuk. But your views on players tend to be so off the mark at times, it requires comment. :thumbsup:

Only the ones that seem to be negative. Funny how that works. I really do like the pick-up of the two d-men. I guess I am way off on those two. I was nowhere the mark with Nathan Horton. Phil Kessel had a horrible year last season. Kovi was invisible over the last half of the season last year . It's amazing I bother posting being so far off all the time.

Only the ones that seem to be negative. Funny how that works. I really do like the pick-up of the two d-men. I guess I am way off on those two. I was nowhere the mark with Nathan Horton. Phil Kessel had a horrible year last season. Kovi was invisible over the last half of the season last year . It's amazing I bother posting being so far off all the time.

To be fair, Horton had a year that you have criticized Stafford for having, Kovalchuk still hasn't proved he can produce when there is any pressure on and Kessel , while having a couple of good years still hasn't justified the cost

Wow, and what did Boston get for Kessel? You are like George Bush-- aren't we better without Saddam Hussein? Sure. But at the cost of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars, not so much.

To be fair, Horton had a year that you have criticized Stafford for having, Kovalchuk still hasn't proved he can produce when there is any pressure on and Kessel , while having a couple of good years still hasnt justified the cost

And those are the ones he cherry picks to show his hockey acumen. :clapping:

To be fair, Horton had a year that you have criticized Stafford for having, Kovalchuk still hasn't proved he can produce when there is any pressure on and Kessel , while having a couple of good years still hasnt justified the cost

Lets be fair. I have stated that Stafford had a really good year. My issue with Stafford was getting the payday he did based on that one year. Horton has an established history of being pretty consistent. This is the only season where Stafford looked like he had any staying power in the NHL. It's pretty much the same feeling I have with Leino. It's a very uncomfortable feeling to see the Sabres make long term investments on players based on such a small sample. Horton in 26 years old and has one 30 goal season, three 25+ goal seasons and two 20+ seasons.

Kovi, if the turn around carries over to this season and future seasons his contract will look like a bargain.

Kessel is a prime example that you need to give up something to get something. It is a trade that seems to have worked out for both teams. An old fashion hockey trade as they use to say.

Lets be fair. I have stated that Stafford had a really good year. My issue with Stafford was getting the payday he did based on that one year. Horton has an established history of being pretty consistent. This is the only season where Stafford looked like he had any staying power in the NHL. It's pretty much the same feeling I have with Leino. It's a very uncomfortable feeling to see the Sabres make long term investments on players based on such a small sample. Horton in 26 years old and has one 30 goal season, three 25+ goal seasons and two 20+ seasons.

Kovi, if the turn around carries over to this season and future seasons his contract will look like a bargain.

Kessel is a prime example that you need to give up something to get something. It is a trade that seems to have worked out for both teams. An old fashion hockey trade as they use to say.

Let's be fair? Kovi a bargain? Kessel for Tyler Seguin is an equal trade--not to mention Jared Knight and Dougie Hamilton who the Bs also got in the trade via draft picks? Kids say the darndest things.:w00t:

If the sabres turnaround carries over to this season and future seasons we will have the highest scoring offense in the league*

*The above statement is fact and now fits in with your list of acceptable justifications for not signing a $7M center.

Archived