Confirmed: Sabres sign Leino

spndnchz

idc what anyone says about leino, we all watched him in last years series loss. we all know he can make plays. everybody gets overpaid in FA, thats part of it, thats why WE as sAAbres fans have never been a part of it. now we are for years to come. stop over analyzing everything. you must take chances on guys with talent and upside(briere?), and the money is not coming out of our pockets. if some signings flop, like they do all over the league, it doesnt matter. this man has so much money and wants to be a winner so bad(god bless us finally)he can bury bad contracts and money like throwing away skittles. HE DONT CARE. HE WANT CUP.

you clearly don't understand what we do here.

Ville Lieno is a really interesting signing. Although I don't expect him to score much more that 20 goals, he really has great vision near the net and in tight spaces, which will be great for the Sabres wings and PP. The price tag is high, but all UFA's get overpaid.

Lieno can play any forward position. 1-4 line LW-C-RW, PP or PK, shootouts...he's like having a Swiss Army Knife.

I never really thought of Lieno as first line center, but he's never really needed to play there in the NHL,

I thought of him as more of an Ales Hemsky (someone that has the vision to play center but doesn't, and like Hemsky...he has a great shot but doesn't shoot much).

I think this deal might look very good in a couple years - especially with Joel Armia - you have an older Finn to look after the new one.

I think he's a player a coach on any team loves to have. He's a player.

Ville Lieno is a really interesting signing. Although I don't expect him to score much more that 20 goals, he really has great vision near the net and in tight spaces, which will be great for the Sabres wings and PP. The price tag is high, but all UFA's get overpaid.

Lieno can play any forward position. 1-4 line LW-C-RW, PP or PK, shootouts...he's like having a Swiss Army Knife.

I never really thought of Lieno as first line center, but he's never really needed to play there in the NHL,

I thought of him as more of an Ales Hemsky (someone that has the vision to play center but doesn't, and like Hemsky...he has a great shot but doesn't shoot much).

I think this deal might look very good in a couple years - especially with Joel Armia - you have an older Finn to look after the new one.

thats more like it. versatile player with huge upside given more of a chance to be involved. its hard to crack that phiily scoring machine,

but he did well, and damn well in the playoffs. welcome ville. one less goal against us, and most likely one clutch goal for us

They are also the same group that think Hecht is a capable center, so you need to take that with a huge grain of salt.

Maybe capable as an emergency fill-in, but Hecht has never been listed on an opening-day roster as a center. There's no doubt that Ruff would rather keep Hecht at wing.

Maybe capable as an emergency fill-in, but Hecht has never been listed on an opening-day roster as a center. There's no doubt that Ruff would rather keep Hecht at wing.

Wasn't Hecht listed as center on the opening day roster the season after Drury and Briere left? I believe our centers were Roy, Connolly, Hecht, and Gaustad at 1st puck drop. But I certainly could be wrong.

Wasn't Hecht listed as center on the opening day roster the season after Drury and Briere left? I believe our centers were Roy, Connolly, Hecht, and Gaustad at 1st puck drop. But I certainly could be wrong.

I don't believe that is accurate. During the 2007-2008 season, the plan was to go into the season with Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, and Adam Mair as the 4 centers. However, Connolly got injured pretty early and Hecht was forced into playing center for much of the year as Connolly missed a ton of games that year. I believe it was during that season we saw what later became a somewhat regular line over the next three seasons with MacArthur, Hecht, and Pominville.

The Sabres were forced into a bunch of makeshift centers during the course of that year due to injuries including putting Kotalik at center, which was a disaster. Michael Ryan also saw quite a bit of ice time that year as well (what a terrible return in the Stu Barnes trade). Ultimately, I don't believe the plan was to use Hecht at center, but he did play quite a bit at center that season.

I can't find the opening lineup for 2007 where they list the positions other than F, but Mair might have been the 4th center. I think the top line was Roy, Afinogenov, Vanek; and the second line was Connolly, Hecht, and Pominville. The remaining forwards on the roster, besides Gaustad and Mair, were Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, and Ryan.

Now that post got me fired up. Thank you sir.

I think he's going to be the #3 center on opening day this year, innit?

Vanek-Leino-Stafford -- I am very psyched to see this line

Ennis-Roy-Boyes -- this line will be feast-or-famine most nights

Gerbe-Hecht-Pommer -- this line will be pretty good albeit well overpaid

Kaleta-Gaustad-McCormick -- this line will be entertaining

For balance, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Leino (my expectation is many here might be underwhelmed by 2-way players I like)...but at the same time, it is a bit optimistic to think of him as a first line center....I think a trade is still coming.....if not..I think Luke Adam makes the roster.

I don't think the roster is set yet. I have a feeling that Hecht won't be on the roster opening night, but we'll see. And I think that Roy is going to be the #1 center.

For balance, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Leino (my expectation is many here might be underwhelmed by 2-way players I like)...but at the same time, it is a bit optimistic to think of him as a first line center....I think a trade is still coming.

I hope you're right about this. I would love to see a trade for a center who's in the mix for #1, but Darcy's demeanor and words indicated that this isn't likely. I think he even said something to the effect that this is the team they expect to bring into training camp. Still, if Stastny or Spezza comes on the market, I think the Sabres will attempt to land him.

But if there's no trade, he's my #1 center right now -- although I think this is a bit of a misnomer because I think there won't be much difference in 5-on-5 ice time among those 3 lines.

I don't think the roster is set yet. I have a feeling that Hecht won't be on the roster opening night, but we'll see. And I think that Roy is going to be the #1 center.

It does seem like Hecht and Kotalik are the forwards most likely to be dealt in a salary dump.

I am not at all thrilled with the idea of a SRV line return but I think that is the most likely #1 line to start the season. And I think Leino would be a great fit with Ennis and Boyes. Leino is really good at possession down low and that isn't Ennis or Boyes' strong suit so I think Putting Leino with those two creates the best matchup of skill sets. It'll be interesting to see how the chemistry works among the various combinations of Vanek/Ennis/Roy/Leino/Stafford/Boyes.

I think the Gerbe Hecht Pommer line is interesting. And it is one I expect to see on opening day as well. Gerbe should bring an element to Hecht and Pommers' game that they really haven't seen when they've been linemates in the past. IMO Gerbe is going to be the down low guy and Pommer will be free to work the high slot and get off that terrific shot.

It does seem like Hecht and Kotalik are the forwards most likely to be dealt in a salary dump.

No doubt with Kotalik, but looking at the lineup you posted above, it's hard to make the case for Hecht still being a top 6 winger (unless Boyes has really lost his game). And it seems a waste not to put a better center between Gerbe and Pominville. Whether they upgrade that spot by binging in a top center that bumps Roy and Leino down, or they just bring in a guy who's better than Hecht at center, they need a better 3rd center; and I agree that Gaustad is probably not that guy.

I hope you're right about this. I would love to see a trade for a center who's in the mix for #1, but Darcy's demeanor and words indicated that this isn't likely. I think he even said something to the effect that this is the team they expect to bring into training camp. Still, if Stastny or Spezza comes on the market, I think the Sabres will attempt to land him.

But if there's no trade, he's my #1 center right now -- although I think this is a bit of a misnomer because I think there won't be much difference in 5-on-5 ice time among those 3 lines.

Things can change quickly. A lot of teams didn't get what they needed this week.

Buffalo IMO got three of top 10 players availble out there. It was a hell of a week for the club. The tricky thing here out is for teams have to see what they have in terms of D men at their development camps. I like how Buffalo is sitting.

Archived