Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

2 minutes for salemanship. Passing a ESPN insider monthly fee link to hockey crazed fan board. Where are the mods when you need em.

Sorry, i thought i wasnt the only one to pay 10 bucks a month for some sports news.

What's your problem? I posted that they have us favored to win in six games. The SABRES are projected to WIN the first round of the playoffs in SIX GAMES.

Please explain to me how I did something wrong.

Otherwise, Go Sabres

wanna just copy an paste it here, I really dont wanna be an espn insider lol.

"

If these teams had met in January, I wouldn't have thought twice before picking the Flyers.

However, a lot has happened in the second half of the season.

Since Feb. 1, the Sabres went 20-8-5 -- the fifth-best winning percentage in that span -- to push themselves into the playoffs. And since new owner Terry Pegula took official control of the franchise on Feb. 23, Buffalo is 16-4-4. That's good stuff.

The Flyers, meanwhile, went 14-11-7 in that same window of time and a very uninspiring 7-7-6 in their last 20. Clearly, they've missed star D Chris Pronger, who has been out since early March after undergoing hand/wrist surgery.

The teams essentially split the season series. The Flyers rolled to a pair of three-goal wins in the first two meetings on Oct. 26 and Jan. 11, while the Sabres responded with late-season victories on March 5 and April 8.

In that last game, both sides waltzed through the final few moments, willingly allowing the game to go to overtime. That OT point clinched a playoff spot for the Sabres. At some point in the next 10-14 days, the Flyers might regret being so accommodating.

Both coaches -- Philly's Peter Laviolette and Buffalo's Lindy Ruff -- are terrific. It will be interesting to see how they seek to gain matchup advantages. In goal, Ruff has an easy call: Ryan Miller, who seems to be healthy again. Laviolette will have some tougher decisions, with rookie Sergei Bobrovsky and veteran Brian Boucher possibly sharing the duties.

Last spring, the Flyers took advantage of lower expectations and some terrific matchups to get to the Cup final. This time, the locals have penciled in a long playoff run. While that could happen, I'm getting a bad feeling about their chances, especially if Pronger isn't 100 percent. I'll take Buffalo in 6.

"

Can't take him serious because he hosted NHL Live all year and I e-mailed in probably 10 times about various Sabres issues and all I can remember is him talking down about the Sabres and about how he didnt like our chances as recently as two weeks ago. Now they make it in and the guy has us pegged to upset Philly?

I wouldn't believe that for one second.

I hope Pronger is healthy and ready to go. I also hope the Flyers goaltending plays well. If the Sabres are going to beat the Flyers I want to see them beat the Flyers at as close to 100% as a team can be. No excuses, just be the better team.

Ha ha ha. I'm sure you'll hold both teams to that lofty standard. Haven't I read your posts before about how lame using injuries as an excuse is? I'm sure this isn't just a hope the Sabres lose so you can say you told us so?

PTR

Here's a question: what do the Sabres' lines look like for this series?

If Hecht and Grier are out (which sounds like will be the case at least at the beginning of the series):

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Mancari

Niedermayer-McCormick-Kaleta

Extra: Ellis

If/when Hecht and Grier return:

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Hecht

McCormick-Kaleta-Grier

Extra: Ellis, Niedermayer, Mancari

If Hecht and Grier are out (which sounds like will be the case at least at the beginning of the series):

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Mancari

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Hecht

McCormick-Kaleta-Grier

Personally I like these combinations. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

I don't know for sure, but I'm actually fairly certain re-selling those boxes of cookies would be illegal, wouldn't it? (If for no other reason than that it's gotta be illegal to re-sell food products! :nana: )

I mean I understand that, sure, if you have something you can make a buck off of, who wouldn't sell it and make a profit? But when there's an extremely limited number of tickets and the organization decides that they'll charge $60 for them, it's completely unfair and pretty stupid that 1,000 people are going to buy tickets for $60 for the sole purpose of re-selling them for three times the price. I'm not saying they're BAD people for doing it, necessarily, but I think with the growth of online ticket resale place like stubhub it's just going to become more and more common for people to buy tickets w/ no intention of ever going to the event and resell them for profit. At least back in the day they'd have to actually go down to the arena to sell them, or have a very limited amount of potential buyers.

Whatever, I'm just pissed. 05-06 it was easy as pie to get tickets to every regular season game and three playoff games. then all of the sudden you couldn't buy a 300 level ticket for $100 in 06-07. Last year I went to 6 or 7 games and game 1 vs boston (bought from stub hub) w/ no problem, this year i made it to one game and playoff prices are thru the roof... the fairweather fans that litter this area can blow me.

Happens all the time with Superbowl tickets. I hear your frustration, but as someone else up thread (my first offical use of the term) said, it is supply and demand. Stub Hubs reason for existence is for fans to barter tickets.

Well the dude on 97 rock this morning that sat outside the arena box office since 9pm last night sure as ###### got tickets. I guess there is no beating the tried and true method of sitting outside and waiting.

he definitely isn't in a :censored: 'virtual waiting room'

FWIW there was no reason for this guy to be there at 9pm last night, I got there at 6AM and was only twenty people behind him. Got my tickets only five minutes after him, I think he struggled to comprehend his purchase as he was surely still intoxicated. Any way $xxx and eight tickets later I got four tickets to both Monday and Wednesdays game. Screw paying $90 pre-sale on stubhub for the $60 tickets when I only had to wait three hours. Take a friend with you, then you can come and go as you please until about 8:30. They let us inside at around 7:45 and we were welcomed to take restroom breaks. Pretty painless experience and surely worth it.

FWIW there was no reason for this guy to be there at 9pm last night, I got there at 6AM and was only twenty people behind him. Got my tickets only five minutes after him, I think he struggled to comprehend his purchase as he was surely still intoxicated. Any way $xxx and eight tickets later I got four tickets to both Monday and Wednesdays game. Screw paying $90 pre-sale on stubhub for the $60 tickets when I only had to wait three hours. Take a friend with you, then you can come and go as you please until about 8:30. They let us inside at around 7:45 and we were welcomed to take restroom breaks. Pretty painless experience and surely worth it.

70 degrees didn't hurt either.

That's half the fun of it, scramble for tickets. At Duke the kids set up and live in tents for weeks at a time to get their Bball tix.

I hope Ted Black was making pancakes for everyone at 7AM.

I don't know for sure, but I'm actually fairly certain re-selling those boxes of cookies would be illegal, wouldn't it? (If for no other reason than that it's gotta be illegal to re-sell food products! :nana: )

I mean I understand that, sure, if you have something you can make a buck off of, who wouldn't sell it and make a profit? But when there's an extremely limited number of tickets and the organization decides that they'll charge $60 for them, it's completely unfair and pretty stupid that 1,000 people are going to buy tickets for $60 for the sole purpose of re-selling them for three times the price. I'm not saying they're BAD people for doing it, necessarily, but I think with the growth of online ticket resale place like stubhub it's just going to become more and more common for people to buy tickets w/ no intention of ever going to the event and resell them for profit. At least back in the day they'd have to actually go down to the arena to sell them, or have a very limited amount of potential buyers.

Whatever, I'm just pissed. 05-06 it was easy as pie to get tickets to every regular season game and three playoff games. then all of the sudden you couldn't buy a 300 level ticket for $100 in 06-07. Last year I went to 6 or 7 games and game 1 vs boston (bought from stub hub) w/ no problem, this year i made it to one game and playoff prices are thru the roof... the fairweather fans that litter this area can blow me.

Reality is, the Sabres are going to charge a price that maximizes their utility. (Under the prior regime, that would be the equivalent of maximizing their revenue. It's probably safe to say that the current regime will do similarly.)

The price charged by the Sabres won't necessarily be the clearing price for particular tix. (It's a lot easier and cheaper (from an infrastructure & cashflow standpoint) for them to sell the tixs at a set price close to the 'correct' price and then let the buyers extract out the last bit of value when there's some left.) If somebody wants to have their money locked up (since last July) on regular season games, that's their perogative. Had the Sabres continued to play like they did in October & November, ticket brokers would have been more broker this year and nobody would have to worry about scalped playoff tix.

Most of the STH's do go to the majority of the games. That there are a few that out Dwight Drane Dwight Drane is neither here nor there. And as much as you would like it to be illegal, it isn't (unless they are w/in x ft from the Mmarena). It is pretty obvious if you go to more than a handful of games of what ticket blocks ticket brokers control. (Hint, it's usually the spots where you see large groups of visiting fans.)

If you don't like it, get a few buddies together and put yourself on the waiting list to get ST's or find an existing group that wants to expand or replace a member. I know of several people that split seats 4 ways and know of 1 that split 10 ways. (Don't know who gets the 41st game or how it's allotted.)

And you are absolutely correct that Stubhub has changed the dynamics. I'm really kicking myself that I didn't buy an extra pair about 5 years back.

Sorry, i thought i wasnt the only one to pay 10 bucks a month for some sports news.

What's your problem? I posted that they have us favored to win in six games. The SABRES are projected to WIN the first round of the playoffs in SIX GAMES.

Please explain to me how I did something wrong.

Otherwise, Go Sabres

Nothing wrong just my weird sense of humor. ;) Pumped and waiting for Playoffs to begin can make one a bit fiesty.

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Mancari

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Hecht

McCormick-Kaleta-Grier

Wonder if Hecht comes back ruff bumps boyes down and throws mancari out... interesting to think about but for right now we must simply win game 1, after that we need to focus and win game 2... ect. IF player x,y, or z is getting it done, let them continue to.

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Mancari

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Hecht

McCormick-Kaleta-Grier

I'd like it if they found a way to put Boyes on the wing. If that means Hecht is centering when he returns, so be it.

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Mancari

I like the combinations for the first lines and agree with the if it aint' broke don't fix it menatlity.

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Boyes-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Hecht

McCormick-Kaleta-Grier

Do not like the center for your 4th line here and I am unsure about how comfortable I would be to see Grier back out there. He was slow before the knee injury and when playoff tempo picks up I'm not sure he will keep up let alone make it through a game.

If the team is playing/doing well I really see Lindy sticking with the if it isn't broke don't fix it coaching school tactics. If they are getting beaten soundly then all bets and combinations are off.

I'd like it if they found a way to put Boyes on the wing. If that means Hecht is centering when he returns, so be it.

I was thinking the same thing. But that means Stafford or Pomminstein playing with Gerbe and Goose. I'm not sure how that woudl work out.

Man, it sure is a nice change of pace to have too many scoring wingers on this team. Last year ther were too many plumbers.

Some saying he'll play Game 1 with his broken hand.

He's not on the ice at their practice this morning.

I am thinking Pronger doesn't play game one. Sabres win that game and Philly hurries him back for game 2. Personally, I hope he is in there. He's not the dominating player he used to be and if he's playing hurt, even better.

Wonder if Hecht comes back ruff bumps boyes down and throws mancari out... interesting to think about but for right now we must simply win game 1, after that we need to focus and win game 2... ect. IF player x,y, or z is getting it done, let them continue to.

I guess it just depends on how well Boyes-Ennis-Stafford produces in the period prior to Hecht's return. That line is pretty hot-and-cold. If they're cold when he returns, I could certainly see:

TC-Vanek-Pommer

Hecht-Ennis-Stafford

Gaustad-Gerbe-Boyes

Extra: Ellis, Mancari

Having said that, I'm guessing that Grier, who wants another year in the NHL, will do his darnedest to play in the playoffs and will likely return before Hecht.

I am thinking Pronger doesn't play game one. Sabres win that game and Philly hurries him back for game 2. Personally, I hope he is in there. He's not the dominating player he used to be and if he's playing hurt, even better.

I don't think I'd ever hope that Pronger is in the line against us. Look at philly's record since he's been out of the lineup.

Ha ha ha. I'm sure you'll hold both teams to that lofty standard. Haven't I read your posts before about how lame using injuries as an excuse is? I'm sure this isn't just a hope the Sabres lose so you can say you told us so?

PTR

If that was my plan than I would hope Pronger misses the series and the Flyers beat the Sabres so I can post how the Sabres couldn't even beat a Prongerless Flyers team.

Chris Pronger wasn't on the ice Thursday and he might not be available for Game 1 of the playoffs.

"I have no timetable, so don't ask," said Pronger. "I do not have much to tell you. When I'm out there, you'll know." Flyers GM Paul Holmgren echoed Pronger's remarks, saying it is hard to set a date for Pronger's return.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36058909

Archived