Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I couldn't remember where we were discussing this, I think it was earlier in this thread. This would be the Eastern Conference standings if the NHL used the 3-2-1 Point System. 3 for Reg Wins, 2 for OT wins, and 1 for SO wins, no points for losses. Interesting how it ends up, the same teams would make it, but completely different order.

This is if my count is correct, I did it kind of quick.

_______________W___L__OTW_SOW___PTS

1 Boston________43__36__1__2_____133

2 Philly__________41__35__3__3_____132

3 Wash__________34__34__9__5_____125

4 Pitt____________34__33__5__10____122

5 Montreal________36__38__5__3_____121

6 Tampa_________32__36__8__6_____118

7 NY Rang________32__38__4__8_____112

8 Buffalo_________28__39__10_5_____109

Out of Playoffs

9 Carolina_______30__41__6__5_____107

10 NJ___________28__44__7__3_____101

11 Toronto_______30__45__2__5_____99

We'd be getting ready for a rematch with Boston.

The NHL couldn't use the excuse that this would not make exciting hockey in April. Buffalo and Carolina would have had to win on the last day to make the playoffs. Philly would have had to beat Buffalo to gain first place and several other scenarios.

That video is amazing. Best use of music I've seen in one of these types of vids.

"The impossible...is possible..." during Gerbe's spin-o-rama goal gives me goosebumps. Fantastic work to whoever did this. If you're a member here make yourself known and take your props.

I couldn't remember where we were discussing this, I think it was earlier in this thread. This would be the Eastern Conference standings if the NHL used the 3-2-1 Point System. 3 for Reg Wins, 2 for OT wins, and 1 for SO wins, no points for losses. Interesting how it ends up, the same teams would make it, but completely different order.

Not necessarily true. This is how they would rank if the NHL were to (as you did) retroactively assigned a 3-2-1-0 system to teams that played under a 2-2-1-0 system. The point system used affects in-game decisions, which could change the results.

However, with a sample size of 82 games, it's not surprising that two logical (neither is giving more points for a loss than a win, for example) give roughly the same set of teams making it (Carolina was not statistically distinguishable from New York or even Buffalo and Montreal, so some systems might swap them in for one of the others), if not in quite the same order.

Comment from Briere today:

"The people that didn't want me there are gone, so there's not really any animosity in that regard," in regard to former owners Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn.

Lends some weight to the "Darcy had his hands tied by Quinn" argument.

Comment from Briere today:

"The people that didn't want me there are gone, so there's not really any animosity in that regard," in regard to former owners Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn.

:death::w00t:

Lends some weight to the "Darcy had his hands tied by Quinn" argument.

I would go further and say strongest evidence to date...

Good call. I can totally see LQ declaring that the Sabres don't need Briere since they had Roy, TC and Max, and who did Briere think he was anyway, taking them to arbitration, and then instructing DR to re-sign Drury but not Briere.

...only to realize that Drury had other plans by that time. Not that this is anything new but...nice job Quinny. :angry:

Well, I kinda think that LQ gave his instructions to re-sign Drury in the fall of 2006, and then both LQ and DR were undercut by TG's refusal to approve the contract until the spring of 2007, by which point it was too late. But I'm still down for tarring and feathering LQ.

Good call. I can totally see LQ declaring that the Sabres don't need Briere since they had Roy, TC and Max, and who did Briere think he was anyway, taking them to arbitration, and then instructing DR to re-sign Drury but not Briere.

...only to realize that Drury had other plans by that time. Not that this is anything new but...nice job Quinny. :angry:

I do remember something about Golisano's belief that all players should be on one-year contracts affecting the Drury negotiations, too.

I will forever maintain what I said about Miller in the Olympics. Any Sabres fan who says that Miller lost the US the gold I hate. The man backstop team USA to a medal they werent supposed to get and Watch hockey the game winner happens alot more than you think. Miller won us a silver he didnt lose us a gold. Maybe he will win us a stanley cup...

4 hours... "Tonight's the night the world begins again."

Archived