Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I agree with you. Half the fun is seeing how differently everyone perceives an argument. Unless you ignore someone, then you don't see anything.

I don't understand the concept of the ignore button. Threads are living, breathing, twisty-turny things. If you ignore someone, how do you understand how you got from player X playing out of his mind to massage parlors in the same thread?

I don't understand the concept of the ignore button. Threads are living, breathing, twisty-turny things. If you ignore someone, how do you understand how you got from player X playing out of his mind to massage parlors in the same thread?

I suppose you could just blame it on DeLuca and let your imagination tell you how it would've went.

I agree with you. Half the fun is seeing how differently everyone perceives an argument. Unless you ignore someone, then you don't see anything.

Trooth.

I suppose you could just blame it on DeLuca and let your imagination tell you how it would've went.

Agreed, but you should all tell this to Korab Rules, he blocked me after I argued with him over the possibility of Boyes playing center.

Arguments can be fun sometimes, but this thread is about FLYERS getting their butts pummeled after they pat the gerbe and he goes Hulk on their arses. Wouldnt that funny, carcillo checks him illegally and gerbe says "GERBE MAD!!! ARRRRRRR!!!" and he turns blue with gold hair and his muscles bulge and he grows four feet and he just destroys the whole team... now that would be awesome

Agreed, but you should all tell this to Korab Rules, he blocked me after I argued with him over the possibility of Boyes playing center.

Arguments can be fun sometimes, but this thread is about FLYERS getting their butts pummeled after they pat the gerbe and he goes Hulk on their arses. Wouldnt that funny, carcillo checks him illegally and gerbe says "GERBE MAD!!! ARRRRRRR!!!" and he turns blue with gold hair and his muscles bulge and he grows four feet and he just destroys the whole team... now that would be awesome

Yep. This board has had an ongoing war of posters being overly positive and overly negative for the past two straight seasons (to this great a magnitude atleast). It's the playoffs, let's put differences aside, join hands and cheer on our boy(e)s. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of time for the shinanigans once we're out and the discussions turn to July 1.

Yep. This board has had an ongoing war of posters being overly positive and overly negative for the past two straight seasons (to this great a magnitude atleast). It's the playoffs, let's put differences aside, join hands and cheer on our boy(e)s. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of time for the shinanigans once we're out and the discussions turn to July 1.

http://youtu.be/-oWWbAqSHcE Your talking about shenanigans right? and why wont this embed right?

I see when you joined....and it wasn't so much directed at you as the point in general.

We had this little rodeo back in '07. The team is playing well, the fans are all medicated, and rocks start getting thrown at anybody who dares to question anything having to do with anyone on the Sabres.

DeLuca is probably one of a handful of posters who has contributed his opinions all along. Put him on ignore if you want, but I respect someone who watches and ENDURES this team 24/7, even if they complain about them....over Smiling Sally and her band of Pegula Patsies who show up when things are on the upswing.

I have to agree.

You know what, I was going to go and try to explain why I think your POV is wrong but I won't waste the energy. I'll leave it at, there are 3 basic types of fans on this site, optimists, pessimists, and middle of the road types. But the one thing they have in common is that they are all fans. Yes, they ALL are.

But notice that the negative ones haven't made a habit out of calling out and bitching about the positive ones. And yes, the super positive ones are every bit as annoying as the super negative ones.

I agree.

It's interesting to see how many areas the Sabres had the edge over the Flyers in during the final quarter of the season. Here's what I found in looking at each team's final 20 games of the season:

BUF

29 of 40 points

66 goals for

50 goals against

Outshot opponents 655 to 605

PHI

20 of 40 points

55 goals for

60 goals against

Opponents outshot them 611 to 594

The average of the Sabres scoring/Flyers goals allowed was 3.15 goals/game, while the average of the Flyers scoring/Sabres goals allowed was 2.63/game. The NHL average is 2.79 goals/game. Also, the Sabres took 45 more shots than the league average.

BUF

Power play 13 of 62 (21.0%) 2 shorthanded goals against

Penalty kill 54 of 60 (90.0%) 0 shorthanded goals scored

PHI

Power play 10 of 62 (16.1%) 1 shorthanded goal against

Penalty kill 60 of 74 (81.1%) 3 shorthanded goals scored

Here is how the regular/healthy forwards stacked up over that timeframe:

BUF Vanek 21 pts (9-12) +9

PHI Giroux 18 (4-14) +7

BUF Pominville 17 (7-10) +6

PHI Briere 17 (6-11) +3

BUF Connolly 15 (5-10) +1

BUF Ennis 14 (7-7) +2

BUF Stafford 14 (7-7) +10

PHI Richards 14 (4-10) -1

BUF Gerbe 13 (9-4) +8

BUF Boyes 13 (4-9) +2

PHI Carter 11 (8-3) +6

PHI van Riemsdyk 11 (6-5) E

PHI Leino 11 (5-6) -5

BUF Gaustad 10 (3-7) 1

PHI Versteeg 9 (6-3) +2

PHI Hartnell 9 (5-4) +1

BUF Mancari 7 (1-6) E

BUF Neidermayer 6 (5-1) -6

Other forwards had 3 or fewer points. Also, the 3 forwards with the most PIM were Flyers: Carcillo (35), Hartnell (33), and Versteeg (24). The highest Sabres were McCormick (21) and Gaustad (19).

So, 7 of the top 10 scoring forwards in the past 20 games were Sabres. And, Neidermayer scored one more goal than both Giroux and Richards!

I think I'll stick with the ignore feature, if you all don't mind. I really don't mind the criticism but if you can't be just a little in awe of what this hockey club has done this year then your criticism becomes invalid in my opinion. Like I said that's just my opinion.

It's interesting to see how many areas the Sabres had the edge over the Flyers in during the final quarter of the season. Here's what I found in looking at each team's final 20 games of the season:

BUF

29 of 40 points

66 goals for

50 goals against

PHI

20 of 40 points

55 goals for

60 goals against

The average of the Sabres scoring/Flyers goals allowed was 3.15 goals/game, while the average of the Flyers scoring/Sabres goals allowed was 2.63/game. The NHL average is 2.79 goals/game. Also, the Sabres took 45 more shots than the league average.

BUF

PHI

PHI Giroux 18 (4-14) +7

PHI Briere 17 (6-11) +3

BUF Ennis 14 (7-7) +2

BUF Gerbe 13 (9-4) +8

BUF Boyes 13 (4-9) +2

PHI Carter 11 (8-3) +6

PHI Leino 11 (5-6) -5

BUF Gaustad 10 (3-7) 1

PHI Versteeg 9 (6-3) +2

PHI Hartnell 9 (5-4) +1

BUF Mancari 7 (1-6) E

Other forwards had 3 or fewer points. Also, the 3 forwards with the most PIM were Flyers: Carcillo (35), Hartnell (33), and Versteeg (24). The highest Sabres were McCormick (21) and Gaustad (19).

So, 7 of the top 10 scoring forwards in the past 20 games were Sabres. And, Neidermayer scored one more goal than both Giroux and Richards!

Interesting take. It definitely highlights how hot the Sabres were down the stretch.

BUF

29 of 40 points

66 goals for

50 goals against

PHI

20 of 40 points

55 goals for

60 goals against

BUF

PHI

PHI Giroux 18 (4-14) +7

PHI Briere 17 (6-11) +3

BUF Ennis 14 (7-7) +2

BUF Gerbe 13 (9-4) +8

BUF Boyes 13 (4-9) +2

PHI Carter 11 (8-3) +6

PHI Leino 11 (5-6) -5

BUF Gaustad 10 (3-7) 1

PHI Versteeg 9 (6-3) +2

PHI Hartnell 9 (5-4) +1

BUF Mancari 7 (1-6) E

Love this post. The Sabres are being picked to win this series from a lot of interesting sources. I don't think the Sabres are as weak as some of the pundits (here and elsewhere) are making them out to be - and the numbers don't lie.

The only real advantage Philly has over the Sabres, IMHO, is that they LIKE to and DO hit. But, I've noticed a trend during the last month or so where Pommers and Connolly, especially, haven't been easing up on their checks like they used to. And Myers has been just a warrior in their zone - he has been really laying the smack down. Gerbe - he hits, and I've seen him take players down with a hit.

I think Ruff will address the physical aspect of the Flyer's game: hit and get out of the way. Maybe he'll put a price on Carcillo - send Kaleta out there to take him out. And if Pronger comes back - what's a slashing penalty during the first period, or if they have a cozy lead, going to hurt? Clearly Ruff has the ears of the team, and they're buying into what he's preaching.

This is going to be a fun series with all of the potential it has for hockey drama.

You know what, I was going to go and try to explain why I think your POV is wrong but I won't waste the energy. I'll leave it at, there are 3 basic types of fans on this site, optimists, pessimists, and middle of the road types. But the one thing they have in common is that they are all fans. Yes, they ALL are.

But notice that the negative ones haven't made a habit out of calling out and bitching about the positive ones. And yes, the super positive ones are every bit as annoying as the super negative ones.

APTITUDE! SKILL!

The Sabres need Leopold or someone they can get in the lineup other than Montador. He may be playing his worst stretch of hockey as a Sabre.

Montador was one of the best players in last year's playoffs for the Sabres...he was literally all over the place...definitely do not want to take him out seeing as how he upped his game last year when it counted...

Montador was one of the best players in last year's playoffs for the Sabres...he was literally all over the place...definitely do not want to take him out seeing as how he upped his game last year when it counted...

I contest that it's counted for the better part of 2 months now. And he had an awful March. Granted his numbers have improved the last 5 games, but he looks slow and has had some pretty bad giveaways of late.

But he got you to respond and join the conversation. Like it or not, that is pretty much the definition of stimulates.

The "auto-reply" for the majority of DeLuca's posts should be "two minutes for instigating." I don't see a whole lot of "stimulation" going on.

I have no problem with the various prisms that posters choose to view this team and I agree it adds to the flavor of discussion in general. To a point. With certain negative posters on some issues, pretty much any poster here could type their response for them when that issue comes up. It's the redundancy that gets tiresome and the refusal to acknowledge the positives when they occur that begin to take away from the discussion.

Love this post. The Sabres are being picked to win this series from a lot of interesting sources. I don't think the Sabres are as weak as some of the pundits (here and elsewhere) are making them out to be - and the numbers don't lie.

The only real advantage Philly has over the Sabres, IMHO, is that they LIKE to and DO hit. But, I've noticed a trend during the last month or so where Pommers and Connolly, especially, haven't been easing up on their checks like they used to. And Myers has been just a warrior in their zone - he has been really laying the smack down. Gerbe - he hits, and I've seen him take players down with a hit.

I think Ruff will address the physical aspect of the Flyer's game: hit and get out of the way. Maybe he'll put a price on Carcillo - send Kaleta out there to take him out. And if Pronger comes back - what's a slashing penalty during the first period, or if they have a cozy lead, going to hurt? Clearly Ruff has the ears of the team, and they're buying into what he's preaching.

This is going to be a fun series with all of the potential it has for hockey drama.

This is about the only thing that scares me wrt this series. Philly has no problem playing physical and the physical play is what took the Sabres out last year...I know, I know...that's last year.

I'm hoping you're right about Ruff addressing the physical part of the game. I just hope these guys can rebound if someone like Vanek or Stafford gets taken out (like Boychuck did to Vanek).

I have no problem with the various prisms that posters choose to view this team and I agree it adds to the flavor of discussion in general. To a point. With certain negative posters on some issues, pretty much any poster here could type their response for them when that issue comes up. It's the redundancy that gets tiresome and the refusal to acknowledge the positives when they occur that begin to take away from the discussion.

Nicely stated CV................ :beer:

Yep, my opinion as well.

I know it was Briere on the interview this morning but it DEFINITELY sounds like Pronger is not going to start this series and may even miss the whole thing.....

That's the way I heard it too. Didn't even hem and haw over the question, he flat out said "No.", when asked if Pronger would be playing.

Archived