Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

Some keys to the series(some more obvious than others)...

- Miller vs. Bobrovsky/Boucher. Should be a big advantage to Buffalo. If not, the Sabres will be in trouble.

- Sabres blueliners vs. the Flyers forecheck. There is not a lot of playoff experience on the Sabres blueline(especially with Leopold out). If the Sabres start to cough up the puck due to a hard forecheck, it will cause major problems.

- Special Teams - You would think that with their forwards, the Flyers would be in the top 5 in PP%. Instead they are a very lackluster 19th. The Sabres playoff demise last year was their AWFUL PP(0-19) and mediocre PK(6 GA - 22 PK).

- Will the "stars" live up to their billing. Myers, Stafford, Vanek, Pominville, Miller & Connolly...I'm talking about you!

- Can Hecht & Leopold play at all during the series?

The key in bold worries me the most.

Flyers in 7. :(

The Sabres need Leopold or someone they can get in the lineup other than Montador. He may be playing his worst stretch of hockey as a Sabre.

The biggest question is how will the special teams shake out. Philly has scored 13 short handed goals and given up 5. The Sabres have score 2 short handed goals and given up 13. The penalty killing % is close to being dead even with Buf 83% and Phi 82.8%. Buf has the higher PP % at 19.4% while Phi has a 16.6%. Take in to account the shorthanded goals and the Sabres PP is a +41 and Phi is a +44.

The Sabres are in a tough spot here. They need to stay aggressive on the PP to be successful while facing a team that can make you pay if your PP is off.

Pronger makes that ENTIRE team go to the next level so I REALLY hope he misses at least one more game or two. I truly think you see a totally different team when he is in the lineup.

It would be shocking if he wasn't in the lineup.

Me thinks the Captain that got away will be a huge factor in this series. So much so that even DeLuthor will want him back.

But I have to admit our shortcomings on defense scare the crap out of me. Just watch a replay of period 2 from Friday night's game. Plus we just don't know how the defensemen without alot of playoff experience are going to respond (Weber and Grags come to mind.) And I think Morrisonn is the weakest link. He gets caught out of position alot because he just can't keep up with faster forwards.

This is a series of very good posts.

My 2 cents:

- Philly is the team I was most afraid of. That changes if Pronger is out, but I expect him to play the entire series and play well.

- Philly is deeper and more talented than the Sabres are at forward and defense.

- The Sabres will need superior special teams play and goaltending to win.

- This series is a huge opportunity for redemption for guys like Pommer, TC, Stafford and Vanek.

- It's also an opportunity for the new kids to grab some attention (and some cash in their next contracts). I think Gerbe is the least likely out of any of them to be neutralized by playoff pressure/opponent intensity.

- I wish Hecht and Grier were available. The Sabres are much stronger with those 2 in and Ellis and Mancari out.

- RR61's comment above regarding the D is especially on target. Philly has a bunch of good forwards who are capable of exploiting defensive mistakes.

- Briere will win at least one game for the Flyers with a late goal or setup. Hopefully it's only one.

- It's a great spring for playoff hockey.

This is a series of very good posts.

My 2 cents:

- Philly is the team I was most afraid of. That changes if Pronger is out, but I expect him to play the entire series and play well.

- Philly is deeper and more talented than the Sabres are at forward and defense.

- This series is a huge opportunity for redemption for guys like Pommer, TC, Stafford and Vanek.

- It's also an opportunity for the new kids to grab some attention (and some cash in their next contracts). I think Gerbe is the least likely out of any of them to be neutralized by playoff pressure/opponent intensity.

- I wish Hecht and Grier were available. The Sabres are much stronger with those 2 in and Ellis and Mancari out.

- RR61's comment above regarding the D is especially on target. Philly has a bunch of good forwards who are capable of exploiting defensive mistakes.

- Briere will win at least one game for the Flyers with a late goal or setup. Hopefully it's only one.

- It's a great spring for playoff hockey.

Damn, with comments like these, and other analyses in this thread, it's a wonder the Sabres made the playoffs at all.

Does anyone think the Sabres have any strengths over the Flyers, other than in net?

That injury to Miller may have been a blessing in disguise. He's only played 2.5 periods in the past two weeks when the playoffs get underway. He's not burnt out and since Enroth played so well it actually worked out for us. Washington gave OV a week off to rest for the playoffs and maybe that's what we did for Miller. We absolutley HAVE to have great goaltending to win this series. I think Ryan will be up for the challenge.

Probably the most important point in this thread.

Everyone thought that the Bruins knocked off the Sabres last year because Boston was more physical, when in fact the Sabres held their own at even strength. It was the futility of power play that killed the Sabres.

I'm hopeful because the power play has improved. Pominville-Connolly-Vanek line has good chemistry & has produced. Stafford found his scoring touch. Boyes can be a factor. And Gerbe & Gaustad have worked well together, with Goose clogging up the crease & screening the goalie while Gerbe rips off a shot. The Sabres were only slightly better than the Flyers on the PK.

The Flyers were 3rd in the league in goal scoring so the Sabres MUST perform well on special teams.

Damn, with comments like these, and other analyses in this thread, it's a wonder the Sabres made the playoffs at all.

Does anyone think the Sabres have any strengths over the Flyers, other than in net?

Our D is young yes, but IF we can get Leopold back then I like our D adding more offense for us. Philly's top D man scored 8 goals for them. If Leopold comes back then he and Myers are double digits. Shakira (again if healthy) only has three goals but has quite a few assists and has really come on lately.

We're a younger team so possibly endurance. We get a game into double ot and I think I'd like the Sabres chances the further the game goes.

Finally, you can't overestimate the goaltending difference. They have better forwards period. But having the reigning vezina goalie against a rookie who is average at best can prove to be huge come playoff time.

Our D is young yes, but IF we can get Leopold back then I like our D adding more offense for us. Philly's top D man scored 8 goals for them. If Leopold comes back then he and Myers are double digits. Shakira (again if healthy) only has three goals but has quite a few assists and has really come on lately.

We're a younger team so possibly endurance. We get a game into double ot and I think I'd like the Sabres chances the further the game goes.

Finally, you can't overestimate the goaltending difference. They have better forwards period. But having the reigning vezina goalie against a rookie who is average at best can prove to be huge come playoff time.

I agree. And I will add....

Philly's defence is big and physical, but that also makes them slower than our forwards. If our forwards are skating hard I think it can give Philly's D some problems. By the same token, if our forwards aren't constantly using their speed to advantage it will open our guys up to getting overmatched physically. Speed is going to be key.

It certainly can. Who was the last Vezina winning goalie to win a Cup. Not just in the same year, in any year prior to the Cup? Was it Hasek?

C'mon. Make the effort....Sekera!!

Hopefully the Sabres have been sandbagging these guys for the playoffs. (And maybe Leopold and Roy are closer than we think.)

What's up with Sekera?

Hopefully the Sabres have been sandbagging these guys for the playoffs. (And maybe Leopold and Roy are closer than we think.)

What's up with Sekera?

Pulled a muscle in practice. D2D.

I agree. And I will add....

Philly's defence is big and physical, but that also makes them slower than our forwards. If our forwards are skating hard I think it can give Philly's D some problems. By the same token, if our forwards aren't constantly using their speed to advantage it will open our guys up to getting overmatched physically. Speed is going to be key.

I agree, they do have big physical D and I hope it doesn't cause any serious injuries. We're probably a Thomas Vanek injury away from....well I'm not even going to think about that.

Did you watch this season? It was a wonder.

I'll byte:-)

1. Goal tending Miller vs Bob, Adv Buf.

2. Blue line scoring, Adv Buf

3. Forwards, Adv Phl

4. PP - draw

5. PK - draw

6. Momentum, Adv Buf

7. Coaching, Draw

8. Dmen, Adv Phl with Pronger, draw without

9. Team Scoring (4 lines + Dmen), Adv Buf

10. Ice - draw

My gut tells me that Buffalo is surging and Flyers are flailing.

Has Lindy Ruff's name appeared in this thread before this post? I did a quick scan and didn't see it. Where is the pro-Lindy crowd? If he is the coach many say he is then he needs to be at the top of pluses on the Sabres side. Doesn't he?

Some things don't need to be stated. You're still down on the guy after this season's comeback? And they did it without Kovy, too.

Miles and miles of heart.

The Sabres have it. And that movie was just on as I was doing some work around the house. Weird coincidence.

Some things don't need to be stated. You're still down on the guy after this season's comeback? And they did it without Kovy, too.

The Sabres have it. And that movie was just on as I was doing some work around the house. Weird coincidence.

BullSh!T. Everything gets stated on this board.

Archived