Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

Love this post. The Sabres are being picked to win this series from a lot of interesting sources. I don't think the Sabres are as weak as some of the pundits (here and elsewhere) are making them out to be - and the numbers don't lie.The only real advantage Philly has over the Sabres, IMHO, is that they LIKE to and DO hit. But, I've noticed a trend during the last month or so where Pommers and Connolly, especially, haven't been easing up on their checks like they used to. And Myers has been just a warrior in their zone - he has been really laying the smack down. Gerbe - he hits, and I've seen him take players down with a hit.I think Ruff will address the physical aspect of the Flyer's game: hit and get out of the way. Maybe he'll put a price on Carcillo - send Kaleta out there to take him out. And if Pronger comes back - what's a slashing penalty during the first period, or if they have a cozy lead, going to hurt? Clearly Ruff has the ears of the team, and they're buying into what he's preaching.This is going to be a fun series with all of the potential it has for hockey drama.

Despite Lindy having the ears of the whole team, I dont think that he'll call for unnecessary BS calls.

More the less, physical hockey, get a few "cheap" shots (not DIRTY, just CHEAP) and see if they set off and take dumb calls.

We split in Philly, our life is that much easier.

As for the physicality of our team, lets use it to our ADVANTAGE when we are in Philly's zone.

Perfect example came this past Sunday of what using a strong physical play does... (time in the video; 1min 58sec)

The hit takes out Hjalmarsson, Bertuzzi then receives a pass, which he turns and relays it to Cleary for the tap in...

If TB didnt hit Hjalmarsson, then Bertuzzi may have not had a WIDE open slot area to turn around and move thru and set up Dan Cleary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gghiumZznSI#t=1min59s

I know it was Briere on the interview this morning but it DEFINITELY sounds like Pronger is not going to start this series and may even miss the whole thing.....

That's the way I heard it too. Didn't even hem and haw over the question, he flat out said "No.", when asked if Pronger would be playing.

He wont.

If he doesnt, then lets make em pay for him being out.

Simple as that.

We beat them in OT less than a week ago and we know we can beat them now...

Did you hear the quote from Miller today throwing the fans under the bus? They just mentioned it on WGR.

It would be fantastic if Miller's quote came with any context at all, such as what the question was that he was asked, who was asking it, etc. All WGR does is provide a quote that could be read in a multitude of ways.

After watching that, there is only one way to take it and in no way whatsoever was he throwing the fans under the bus.

I know it was Briere on the interview this morning but it DEFINITELY sounds like Pronger is not going to start this series and may even miss the whole thing.....

That's the way I heard it too. Didn't even hem and haw over the question, he flat out said "No.", when asked if Pronger would be playing.

I understand DeLuca's point about wanting to beat the best, but I will still be quite happy if Pronger is out.

After watching that, there is only one way to take it and in no way whatsoever was he throwing the fans under the bus.

Correct.

why are we hating on millsy? I dont mean directly upthread but a couple pages back now, Millermongering is boring and old. He did say he wants to feed off the home fans energy so I think he likes us... he did stick around when a lot of other were jumping ship. Miller is gonna be a key component of our run this year. Washington, Philly, and even Pittsburg/NYR have the potential to have cruddy goal tending during games so lets hope Vezina miller appears (which is very possible)

millsy

imho, the use of hockey nicknames should be left to those who are on/with the team.

that said, i think i heard that ennis's hockey nickname is "enzo."

which i sort of love, since that's the name of my favorite bit character from the godfather movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XhPcwlZg3Y

why are we hating on millsy? I dont mean directly upthread but a couple pages back now, Millermongering is boring and old. He did say he wants to feed off the home fans energy so I think he likes us... he did stick around when a lot of other were jumping ship. Miller is gonna be a key component of our run this year. Washington, Philly, and even Pittsburg/NYR have the potential to have cruddy goal tending during games so lets hope Vezina miller appears (which is very possible)

:clapping:

Well said. Miller made a true statement in a tactful way. Fans need to translate their support for the team into making noise at the arena. I'm just getting my voice fully back from the Carolina game!

FWIW Briere was joking around with the GR guys this morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/

I heard it this morning and IMO I don't think he was joking at all. The Flyers have been VERY strict about releasing injury info, even Laviolette said all injury info comes from the GM only and he would not even comment on it for fear of getting in trouble. I think Danny slipped up and now he's playing a little CYA right now.

He was skating, not shooting or passing.

FWIW Briere was joking around with the GR guys this morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/

Does it matter?

If this team is as good and special as people are telling me it is, you don't care who is on the other side. You dictate to them how the game will be played.

This isn't football where every play is a war and a game changing possibility. Put your guys on the ice and let the real men win.

Does it matter?

If this team is as good and special as people are telling me it is, you don't care who is on the other side. You dictate to them how the game will be played.

This isn't football where every play is a war and a game changing possibility. Put your guys on the ice and let the real men win.

This is why i love hockey. I think, more so than in any other sport, effort and heart can trump 'skill'. That said, i think these bit of info about who's in and who's out, injuries, etc. just add to the story and the drama. It's fun. Plus, we've got to occupy ourselves with something until Thursday.

This is why i love hockey. I think, more so than in any other sport, effort and heart can trump 'skill'. That said, i think these bit of info about who's in and who's out, injuries, etc. just add to the story and the drama. It's fun. Plus, we've got to occupy ourselves with something until Thursday.

I'm not even saying for the fans sake. Of course we're going to talk about stuff. I just think some of the coaches and teams get riled up about being clever....and they are only burning themselves by worrying about it. A guy like Niedermayer or Grier has played Pronger 70 times. I think they know what he's capable of.

If he's in, get the checking line out there, harass the goalie, and make Pronger scrum with you or do something stupid with his stick because he is protecting his hand. Do you think he can resist grabbing Kaleta and McCormick when they are on top of the crease? You'll learn 3 minutes in what he can do.

Does it matter?

Um, yes, it matters. The loss or addition of an impact player can change the course of any series and each team's chances of winning. I'm sure the Flyers' faithful are not shedding any tears that the Sabres are missing Roy, Leopold, Hecht, Grier, etc., and I'm not shedding any tears that Pronger may be out or less effective.

Um, yes, it matters. The loss or addition of an impact player can change the course of any series and each team's chances of winning. I'm sure the Flyers' faithful are not shedding any tears that the Sabres are missing Roy, Leopold, Hecht, Grier, etc., and I'm not shedding any tears that Pronger may be out or less effective.

Ahh, but the wisest of fans would chastise you for such sentiments -- a series win against a team at less than 100% is not worth celebrating. :ph34r:

Ahh, but the wisest of fans would chastise you for such sentiments -- a series win against a team at less than 100% is not worth celebrating. :ph34r:

Mention the Sabres starting AHL defensemen in 2006 to a Canes fan and they will refer you to the Canes' name on the Stanley Cup. I'd like to return the favor to another teams' fans some day.

Does it matter?

Does it matter if they have a game changing hall of fame D man in their lineup game 1? :blink: Ummmm, yes.

Archived