Sabres Vs. Flyers Round 1 Matchup

matter2003

I don't post often... in fact; this is my first post since I returned from deployment to Iraq in November. Anyways... There are a few numbers I just can't get out of my head right now, as we prepare for the Stanley Cup playoffs:

Sabers’ Record, Last 10 games (8-1-1), best in NHL

Sabers’ Record since Pegula took over (15-4-2), best in NHL

Sabers’ Record since 1 Jan (28-8-6), best in Eastern Conference

Throw-out last year, which does not seem any less reasonable than ignoring last season's records, and the Sabres are THE TEAM TO BEAT in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs (at least in the East).

The name everyone is forgetting (not that I think he's going to be THE PLAYER for the Sabres) is the guy who scored the 4th most rookie points this season (and probably the most since 1 Jan/Pegula, like the rest of the Sabres' records) - Tyler Ennis. I think he has the most "Dark Horse" potential to be a Briere-esque spark to our offense.

Regarding our team speed... I just want to remind everyone what the Philadelphia Flyers' post-lockout defense said about our speed, in effect: It's not so much that they skate fast, but you can't keep up with their passing, because it's so sharp and accurate. I think that's the key to our even-strength success... turning our foot speed into offense through quick (not necessarily long), tape-to-tape breakout passes from D to O. That's why our defensive scoring is so effective. As long as we keep that up, I want to reiterate that we will not only be "a" force to be reckoned with, but THE force to be reckoned with in the playoffs, backed-up by our typically strong support from Miller to mitigate mistakes caused by our aggressive attack.

Just my two cents' (or three) worth. B-)

I don't post often... in fact; this is my first post since I returned from deployment to Iraq in November. Anyways... There are a few numbers I just can't get out of my head right now, as we prepare for the Stanley Cup playoffs:

Throw-out last year, which does not seem any less reasonable than ignoring last season's records, and the Sabres are THE TEAM TO BEAT in this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs (at least in the East).

The name everyone is forgetting (not that I think he's going to be THE PLAYER for the Sabres) is the guy who scored the 4th most rookie points this season (and probably the most since 1 Jan/Pegula, like the rest of the Sabres' records) - Tyler Ennis. I think he has the most "Dark Horse" potential to be a Briere-esque spark to our offense.

Regarding our team speed... I just want to remind everyone what the Philadelphia Flyers' post-lockout defense said about our speed, in effect: It's not so much that they skate fast, but you can't keep up with their passing, because it's so sharp and accurate. I think that's the key to our even-strength success... turning our foot speed into offense through quick (not necessarily long), tape-to-tape breakout passes from D to O. That's why our defensive scoring is so effective. As long as we keep that up, I want to reiterate that we will not only be "a" force to be reckoned with, but THE force to be reckoned with in the playoffs, backed-up by our typically strong support from Miller to mitigate mistakes caused by our aggressive attack.

Welcome back and thank you for your service!

I agree, and Ennis has become my favorite player this year. I liked the kid last year, but this year he has really made an impression.

Thursday can't get here fast enough

A sincere thank you for your service. :thumbsup:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, way out, and say that Pominville is going to be our Flyer killer. His game in the last month has really picked up.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, way out, and say that Pominville is going to be our Flyer killer. His game in the last month has really picked up.

Don't say that! Just submitted by office playoff pool and went with Vanek Stafford and Boyes, not pommers. I'm therefore going to say that Boyes (who has been somewhat invisible save for the last game lately) is going to be a factor. Time for Boyes to be a man come playoff time!

interesting post.

i'm anxious to see what ennis does. my concern is that he's been inhibited of late with boyes as his center. the kid showed something last year against boston - love to see more of it.

Thank you, welcome back and good post. As I grow more and more scared of the Flyers, I appreciate your "let them worry about us" perspective.

This spring, and especially this series, is a big chance for redemption for the "young veteran leaders" on this team, especially Pommer and TC. I'm not that optimistic, because I don't think either of them (or Ennis, for that matter) plays a hard enough game to be a difference-maker in the playoffs, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Did you hear the quote from Miller today throwing the fans under the bus? They just mentioned it on WGR.

It would be fantastic if Miller's quote came with any context at all, such as what the question was that he was asked, who was asking it, etc. All WGR does is provide a quote that could be read in a multitude of ways.

It would be fantastic if Miller's quote came with any context at all, such as what the question was that he was asked, who was asking it, etc. All WGR does is provide a quote that could be read in a multitude of ways.

"We can feel it, we can tell on the ice that we need the crowd behind us, even when we're not playing our best we appreciate some support. You can't always go into the locker room feeling boos, we need some help, we need some support, we need everybody in this city behind us to do this the right way, that's just how it goes.

You go into these other buildings and it's energy for the other team, going into Philly we're going to have to be a close bunch because they're going to be charged up there and it's the same here I think we need that energy, we need to feed off it, even the smallest plays. I think that's the difference this year I think people are ready to start buzzing and last year they were waiting for something to happen, we kind of backed our way in so there is a little bit of a difference there. I think that's what people around here are waiting for, they don't want to be let down and we're going to need their help to do it the right way so, come along for the ride!"

I see no bus, beside the one Miller wants the fans to get on and go for a ride with the team.

Did you hear the quote from Miller today throwing the fans under the bus? They just mentioned it on WGR.

Did Miller really say anything negative about the fans? Or did he ask for the fans support? When Pegula bought the team, he said winning is not just a goal, it is a belief. He asked for the fans to be better. Was he accused of being too hard on the fans? You're being way to sensitive.

I read Miller's quotes and I completely agree with Miller. The fans have been way too quiet at the arena, and too quick to jump against the Sabres in a negative manner. I have heard Lalime and Connolly boed this year, and I know there were general boos for the team. And by the way, Miller is not the first Sabre to point this out. As fans, we should be embarrassed that players on the team think the arena is too quiet and the fans are too quick to be negative. Nothing like needing the MVP of the team (as voted by the players) having to be a cheerleader for the fans, to get them going.

Miller points out that the team needs the fans positive energy to gain the advantage that other teams have when they are in their home building. With the exception of the last 10 minutes of the Alumni Day game, the fans have been passive and quiet. As a season ticket holder, when my brother and I attend games and begin a "Let's go Buffalo" chant, we are looked at by fans sitting around us as a nuicance. Make some noise!

Go Sabres!

All Miller is asking is for the fans to put down their wine and cheese and make some noise.

PTR

I would tend to agree with him, when going to games I have been one to boo on occasion. Mind you I attended two games of that glorious three game losing streak ( leafs & blues ). They deserved it then, but they don't now. The arena has been awful quiet when they aren't pouring it on. They need us to be loud specifically when things aren't going well. I don't see any ill will in his comments but more of a call for some help.

Thank you, welcome back and good post. As I grow more and more scared of the Flyers, I appreciate your "let them worry about us" perspective.

This spring, and especially this series, is a big chance for redemption for the "young veteran leaders" on this team, especially Pommer and TC. I'm not that optimistic, because I don't think either of them (or Ennis, for that matter) plays a hard enough game to be a difference-maker in the playoffs, but I really hope I'm wrong.

I chalk that up to nerves. The Sabres will prevail in this series. I have NEVER been more certain of anything I have no control of. The league is starting to notice the Sabres, but is dismissive of them due to their seeding. Knock out a top seed and they'll start getting their props.

I also know this series is going to be full of odd-man rushes, PP, nonstop action, amazing goals and thrilling finishes. It is going to be maddening and exhilirating at times. It's going to be fun and when the Flyers are doing the handshake walk of shame in front of Buffalo Fans in Game 6, the world will take notice.

I chalk that up to nerves. The Sabres will prevail in this series. I have NEVER been more certain of anything I have no control of. The league is starting to notice the Sabres, but is dismissive of them due to their seeding. Knock out a top seed and they'll start getting their props.

I also know this series is going to be full of odd-man rushes, PP, nonstop action, amazing goals and thrilling finishes. It is going to be maddening and exhilirating at times. It's going to be fun and when the Flyers are doing the handshake walk of shame in front of Buffalo Fans in Game 6, the world will take notice.

Thank you.

FWIW, Chris Botta of the NY Times, who is a pretty good hockey writer, agrees with you: linkage.

(2) Philadelphia vs. (7) Buffalo: Inspired by the purchase of the team by the sincere and wealthy fan Terry Pegula, the Sabres finished the season with a flourish. The Flyers sputtered without their top defenseman Chris Pronger over the last four weeks, and the team continues to say there isn’t a timetable for his return. Assuming Ryan Miller is ready for the first game, the Sabres have a significant advantage in goal. Buffalo in six.

I see no bus, beside the one Miller wants the fans to get on and go for a ride with the team.

That's all I saw in reading that. He was just saying the team likes it when the fans get behind them.

All Miller is asking is for the fans to put down their wine and cheese and make some noise.
Get Chet off of Muffy's hands?

love it.

still, i'd like to hear the quote in context. not sure why miller was talking about boos, etc.

what i saw there was the face of the franchise imploring and challenging the fans to inject our barn with the energy that our team needs to win. that place has been too quiet for too f-ing long -- wake up the echoes, buffalo!

still, i'd like to hear the quote in context. not sure why miller was talking about boos, etc.

what i saw there was the face of the franchise imploring and challenging the fans to inject our barn with the energy that our team needs to win. that place has been too quiet for too f-ing long -- wake up the echoes, buffalo!

Don't you think this falls under the umbrella of calling out the fans (throwing them under the bus may be too strong of a description IMO). I think that is what DeLuca was alluding to, Miller is politely chiding quiet fans to get off their hands and provide the same energy he knows the Flyer fans are going to provide.

I know y'all hate DeLuca's tone, but you have to admit, he stimulates conversation around here. And there are nuggets of truth in most, if not all of his commentary.

Archived