Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

crate him when he is alone?

He gets extremely hyper and cries nonstop when we crate him but we may resort back to it now.

"Roll up a newspaper and gently (seriously, not to hard) swat your girlfriend across the nose. This will teach her to put her ###### away." - tosh .0 from this past Tuesday.

I'm kidding. Don't go all NFL on your fiance. I just had to put that out there because it was fresh in the mind from 2 Days ago.

Complaint: The workers/janitors at the school behind my house love leaving their newspapers and coffee cups out on the terrace when they're done with them, prompting the wind to blow them into my yard. This pisses me off to no end. I have the only beautiful lawn in northeast Pennsyltucky, and these ###### ###### are constantly littering on it! I'd take it up with the school, but they won't do anything about it and if they did do something it would probably make the problem worse or start a war with the work crew and me.

#whitepeopleproblems.

Wow, what a lame complaint this is haha!

I just about died laughing. thanks for that haha

I did not receive any information that there is a disability, though I was warned that it was of a high possibility that I would have a few students who are but haven't done anything to have it on their record. They're technically not allowed to tell me.

I usually deal with her by ignoring her incessant pleas unless she comes to me directly (not yelling across the room), waiting turns, even signing up for review (if you have already been through review with me, I need to see the rest of the list before I can come back to you). If she continues yelping at me out of turn, I will tell her to hang on, be patient, be there in a few. She'll do something similar to the pee pee dance then.

These are college kids, 20 years old or so, and I really like that my class is casual. You have a question? Shout it out, come up to me, whatever works. It's a great atmosphere. Everyone's doing great, and the shyer students I'm sure to go to and check on when I can. This girl starts yelping and everyone is like, well, that's what she does.

I'm slowly conditioning her. It's only been a couple weeks, but she's not as likely to come over and put her computer on top of whatever I'm doing screaming "LOOK AT THIS GAME IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL"like she had been. She is now staying (mostly) quiet during any lessons I'm doing, and is better behaved in crits. It's just the occasional enthusiastic outburst/scribbling on the whiteboard that just cranks me. She didn't touch me as much this week either.

I am a brand new adjunct, I turned 25 a few days ago, I don't really have the authority to get her kicked out. She does the work, has great comments for others in crit, is showing improvement. I guess I just also remember having kids like her in my class back in college. There's always at least one in art. Professors were kind and firm and with the exception of a kid who'd spew threats and such, largely treat them like any other student. I have a girl absolutely covered in self harm scars, too. Do I report that? I'm not here to make waves, yet. I will mention crazy lady to my other professors, next time I run into one of them. One of them has her in his class, he's probably unfazed. I'm just new and young and not used to dealing with someone quite this... enthusiastic.

There was a student who tried to join my class and I couldn't let him in (class size). Turns out he had some uh... behavioural issues that hinged on criminal towards other students. A girl who won't stop jabbering/being super eccentric is nothing compared to that. It's just complaint thursday and she gets on my nerves. But thank you all for the advice, I'll definitely have to do something if things get worse/weirder. It IS RIT, this is really not that uncommon.

I had a student years ago (when I used to teach big undergrad courses) who was the very definition of psychotic. Kid was a danger to all those around him and I found out about this kid's issues when I had one of his classmates show up in my office crying after he threatened to kill her. Since I had no direction on how to deal with the situation, I pulled him out of the classroom population and tutored him one-on-one through mutual agreement. Was a judgment call on my part, but I didn't want the others disrupted by him and he seemed happier not having to interact with his peers.

Anyway, after one of the sessions an urgent email was sent around the building notifying faculty and students that an assault had taken place in the building and the perpetrator was still at large. I immediately thought of this kid and sure enough, he had attacked a middle aged admin not 5 minutes after leaving my office. Come to find out this kid had already been kicked out of several schools on campus yet for some reason was still allowed to remain a student.

Getting anyone at your school to care about kids like this is nearly impossible as I'm sure you'll soon find out, so unfortunately IMHO you have to go with your own instincts in such a situation. You really do have to be part instructor and part psychologist at times. Statistically about 1 in 100 Americans are psychotic and unfortunately some end up in college classrooms.

Eleven, I'm still waiting for the passport story! :P

adapted from a post elsewhere

I am kind of starting to try to date again, and this really beautiful woman (who does know my situation) invites me to a birthday party, mutual friends, across the border.

Grabbed my passport and went to pick her up, in less than ten minutes, we are at Canadian immigration. I handed over the two passports.

Only my passport wasn't mine. It was my missing half's. Somehow, I had grabbed hers. The immigration officer was understanding but steered us to HQ. Understandable.

So I have to explain to three immigration officers why I have my dead fiancee's passport in front of a sorta date. One of them noticed that I was emotional (of course!) and asked if I wanted counseling right then and there. Want to know what awkward is? It's that.

US immigration gave us a little trouble on the way back, but nothing like that.

AWKWARD.

Edited by Eleven

For the record, that bastion of culinary Americana, The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, lists neither cloves nor allspice in its pumpkin pie recipe.

My complaint, I'm working 2nd shift right now. That's not my complaint. My complaint is, driving home on the Thruway this evening I ran into a patch of graupel. What the hell is graupel you ask? It is ice encased snow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel Yes, that dirty word snow. We had snow falling over a 1 mile length of the Thruway in western NY today around 10:30pm. I sawr it with mine own eyes. FFS I still have my flip flops by the side door and dammit I intend to not put them away yet!

Edited by weave

adapted from a post elsewhere

I am kind of starting to try to date again, and this really beautiful woman (who does know my situation) invites me to a birthday party, mutual friends, across the border.

Grabbed my passport and went to pick her up, in less than ten minutes, we are at Canadian immigration. I handed over the two passports.

Only my passport wasn't mine. It was my missing half's. Somehow, I had grabbed hers. The immigration officer was understanding but steered us to HQ. Understandable.

So I have to explain to three immigration officers why I have my dead fiancee's passport in front of a sorta date. One of them noticed that I was emotional (of course!) and asked if I wanted counseling right then and there. Want to know what awkward is? It's that.

US immigration gave us a little trouble on the way back, but nothing like that.

AWKWARD.

Oh yikes. Good thing the new woman knew your situation ahead of time! Well based on your recent post in the Awesome thread, it doesn't sound like it scared her off. ;)

Bump.

Also: I lost my internet connection at home earlier this week. Now it's back, but for some bizarre reason, my router won't work -- so no wifi or broadband phone -- only one computer connected via ethernet to the cable modem. And I'm pretty sure it's some kind of nefarious TW Cable ploy, because I have the same issue on 2 different routers.

Bump.

Also: I lost my internet connection at home earlier this week. Now it's back, but for some bizarre reason, my router won't work -- so no wifi or broadband phone -- only one computer connected via ethernet to the cable modem. And I'm pretty sure it's some kind of nefarious TW Cable ploy, because I have the same issue on 2 different routers.

#oligopolyproblems

Whenever I'm at work (or anywhere, really) and come upon a group of people battling each other with tales of equal or greater woe about parenthood, I always have to remove myself from that scene. I would rarely lose that game, and if I did, it would be even more depressing.

In keeping with that, there are too many Jewish holidays that give the schools a day off.

Whenever I'm at work (or anywhere, really) and come upon a group of people battling each other with tales of equal or greater woe about parenthood, I always have to remove myself from that scene. I would rarely lose that game, and if I did, it would be even more depressing.

In keeping with that, there are too many Jewish holidays that give the schools a day off.

Even before I had real parenting issues of my own, and mine are trivial compared to many others, I had a very short fuse for parents who bitch about being parents all the time. About sleep, or discipline, or cleaning, or money or....

I must have missed the story about how becoming a parent was going to result in a clean house, lazy Sunday mornings and a stuffed bank account. I mean, did you not know what you were getting into?

It's easily the fastest way to get me to remove your words from my daily information uptake.

Even before I had real parenting issues of my own, and mine are trivial compared to many others, I had a very short fuse for parents who bitch about being parents all the time. About sleep, or discipline, or cleaning, or money or....

I must have missed the story about how becoming a parent was going to result in a clean house, lazy Sunday mornings and a stuffed bank account. I mean, did you not know what you were getting into?

It's easily the fastest way to get me to remove your words from my daily information uptake.

As a new parent, I fully agree. I know my wife has had it a lot harder than I have, but she seems surprised that there's no time for hobbies or relaxing. I went into to this figuring for the first year I get maybe a couple hours per month to myself for hobbies, as long as they don't cost more than $20 to pursue. I do feel guilty that I'm keeping up here though, I should be cleaning something or reading baby books instead.

I'll just echo a friend's commentary about the current state of internetspeak:

G___C___: Omg lol that awkward moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize udhfuhsih Rd cjoavz

A___M___: yo dawg i heard you realized the moment so i thought you might wanna realize the moment you realized that moment

C___P___: X ZIBIT AND G___ HAD AN AWKWARD MOMENT. YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.

P___S___: 23 weird tricks that only that one moment kids will understand, #5 Will restore your faith in that moment and what happens next will break your that moment. Truly inspiring.

J___E___: Inspiring breath away you'll be SHOCKED I couldn't believe it AMAZING doctors hate this DIY hack uplift your soul

When we moved from NY to NC I was in high school. I remember having a conversation with one of my teachers, asking why we didn't have the day off for (insert Jewish holiday here). I received nothing more than a blank stare, and then he said, "well, we're not in the Middle East, so why would you get it off?" I was one annoyed Christian that no longer got the Jewish holidays off.

I'll just echo a friend's commentary about the current state of internetspeak:

G___C___: Omg lol that awkward moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize that moment when you realize udhfuhsih Rd cjoavz

A___M___: yo dawg i heard you realized the moment so i thought you might wanna realize the moment you realized that moment

C___P___: X ZIBIT AND G___ HAD AN AWKWARD MOMENT. YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.

P___S___: 23 weird tricks that only that one moment kids will understand, #5 Will restore your faith in that moment and what happens next will break your that moment. Truly inspiring.

J___E___: Inspiring breath away you'll be SHOCKED I couldn't believe it AMAZING doctors hate this DIY hack uplift your soul

What?

If my sister were to be believed, humankind never would have made it out of the caves.

Bump.

Did you try the old "unplug it for 30 seconds" method? I love how that is usually the extent of the IT help you will get over the phone.

Not really a complaint, kind of an update on my uh... different student.

Everyone is sick. One of my students has been in the hospital for over a week with viral meningitis. I've been telling everyone to up their vitamin c and wash hands, take it easy, get sleep. Special student pipes up.

student "Everyone is sick"

me "Yeah, it sure seems that way"

student "I'm sick too. Though I think it's from picking that gunk that piles up at the back of your throat? I think that's why I threw up anyways"

me "......"

Rest of the week she loudly complains about her stomach, or how sick she is, how brave she is to still go to class despite being sick. Keeps touching me, my desk, saying "uh oh, gonna get you sick gonna get you siiiick" Oh man, kid... if you get me sick, you fail.

On the really awesome side- my students told me that my class and one other class (taught by one of my favorite professors) are their favorite or "good" classes. one of my kids told me I'm the best prof he's had at RIT. ###### that feels good to hear. I'm enjoying it, even taking weirdo girl in stride.

When we moved from NY to NC I was in high school. I remember having a conversation with one of my teachers, asking why we didn't have the day off for (insert Jewish holiday here). I received nothing more than a blank stare, and then he said, "well, we're not in the Middle East, so why would you get it off?" I was one annoyed Christian that no longer got the Jewish holidays off.

Where in NY do kids get all Jewish Holidays off?

Edited by inkman