Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'm completely on board with ensuring handicap friendly devices/spots are respected but I'm not sure the automatic door opener is one. Is this a separate door or just the regular door and people are hitting the button? I work in a fairly large office and there are people in and out constantly and on the way in it's a pull motion. I always feel bad for not standing and holding it for the person behind me as there is always someone coming but usually atleast a few seconds back. Rather than stand and wait everyday or be a jerk I'll usually hit the button as I'm going in so as to keep it open for the person behind me. I don't think that's a d*ck move.

In this case it is a separate door. There is a set of double doors and then a third door connected to the button. When there is a wheelchair logo directly next to the button, it could not be any more clear what the purpose of the door is.

In this case it is a separate door. There is a set of double doors and then a third door connected to the button. When there is a wheelchair logo directly next to the button, it could not be any more clear what the purpose of the door is.

I think your distaste for this is just a bit irrational. It's not like someone healthy using that door is preventing a disabled person from using that door. But you go, you curmudgeon you! :P

Now, healthy folks using handicapped spaces........ die in a fire, please.

I think your distaste for this is just a bit irrational. It's not like someone healthy using that door is preventing a disabled person from using that door. But you go, you curmudgeon you! :P

I'll just claim that I hate the waste of electricity. I do definitely hate laziness though.

I'll just claim that I hate the waste of electricity. I do definitely hate laziness though.

I'll accept the electricity argument, but its really small taters. The difference in effort to push/pull a door isn't that much. Is convenience = laziness? (rhetorical maybe)

I avoid those doors primarily because I don't really care to touch a button that thousands of the unwashed masses have touched, not because they are labeled handicapped. They aren't really reserved for handicapped, just labeled as handicapped accommodating.

Edit to add: Is it really the laziness that bothers you? Does it bother you when folks choose unlabeled automated doors over manual doors? if not, it's likely just your perception that those doors are reserved for handicapped that bothers you. they aren't reserved for handicapped use like parking spaces, they are just labeled to reflect their accommodation.

Edited by weave

I'll accept the electricity argument, but its really small taters. The difference in effort to push/pull a door isn't that much. Is convenience = laziness? (rhetorical maybe)

I avoid those doors primarily because I don't really care to touch a button that thousands of the unwashed masses have touched, not because they are labeled handicapped. They aren't really reserved for handicapped, just labeled as handicapped accommodating.

What do you touch on the manual door that thousands more haven't touched?

What do you touch on the manual door that thousands more haven't touched?

DO NOT FORCE ME INTO A LIFE OF HERMIT-HOOD!

I hate pull doors. I use my elbow to hit the crash bar on push doors as often as not. Yeah, I'm a bit of a germophobe in public spaces.

Edit to add: Is it really the laziness that bothers you? Does it bother you when folks choose unlabeled automated doors over manual doors? if not, it's likely just your perception that those doors are reserved for handicapped that bothers you. they aren't reserved for handicapped use like parking spaces, they are just labeled to reflect their accommodation.

I can't say that I've ever seen this situation. Any time I've seen a door with a button, it's labeled.

I will never understand why people can't be polite, especially at the beginning of a project. There are diplomatic ways to handle things, and in the case of not hearing voice tone/seeing expressions, being curt and snotty in emails with people who are going to be working with you for a month or two does not a happy team make.

Good thing I'm all little miss sunshine today.. why yes, I can take on the crazy amounts of comps an sketches needed in a couple hours! No problem. I like a good challenge. Just not a crazy one. I hope it doesn't go that direction.

The doors break faster when non-handicappers use them?

Motion detector controlled doors, next to manual doors at a big box for instance.

I guess it does happen, but I don't recall running into this situation very often either. The more common one, at least in Boston was the motion sensor on one door and next to it was a revolving door. I guess I can't judge the scenario since I don't really remember running into it.

The doors break faster when non-handicappers use them?

Ok, that I have seen before. It was a building with a lot of elderly patients and when that door broke down, all hell broke loose.

DO NOT FORCE ME INTO A LIFE OF HERMIT-HOOD!

I hate pull doors. I use my elbow to hit the crash bar on push doors as often as not. Yeah, I'm a bit of a germophobe in public spaces.

Perhaps you can start a hermitage. Bonus points if you put it in Hermitage.

Why are there two fantasy football threads?

Why do they call it Netflix? There are no movies available that are worth watching. They should call it Netshows.

On Tuesday, the streak has ended at 1 year 2 months. I forgot how bad it sucks to watch someone have a seizure. I guess that mean diarrhea for me today.

I almost forgot, the dog is sick and in order to not find crap all over the house when I woke up, I had to get up every hour for the first half of the night and every half hour the rest to let her out. I'm tired.

Why do they call it Netflix? There are no movies available that are worth watching. They should call it Netshows.

They've got all 4 Rocky movies. Can't go wrong there.

I almost had a real nice wreck on the way into work this morning when an SUV decided to try to fly around 75 mph past traffic merging from an on-ramp. The car in front of me changed lanes without seeing the SUV coming which lead to hard breaking and a swerve to the right directly towards me. The left lane was open the whole time, so all the SUV had to do was not be an ass and actually move over one lane ahead of time (that and swerve away from cars, not towards them), but I guess some people don't realize that you're supposed to do that. Based on the look of the SUV, I'm guessing soccer mom. The car in front of me was a Porsche, so that would have been one hell of an insurance claim for the SUV driver.

I almost had a real nice wreck on the way into work this morning when an SUV decided to try to fly around 75 mph past traffic merging from an on-ramp. The car in front of me changed lanes without seeing the SUV coming which lead to hard breaking and a swerve to the right directly towards me. The left lane was open the whole time, so all the SUV had to do was not be an ass and actually move over one lane ahead of time (that and swerve away from cars, not towards them), but I guess some people don't realize that you're supposed to do that. Based on the look of the SUV, I'm guessing soccer mom. The car in front of me was a Porsche, so that would have been one hell of an insurance claim for the SUV driver.

The highways in NC are a mix of laid back southern natives and aggressive NYC/NJ type drivers. It can be a volatile mix.

People in the south almost never get left to allow people to merge. It is the dumbest thing I witness down here on a daily basis.

So yesterday my schedule was booked basically solid from 9am to 4:30pm with a short 30mins for lunch. While I managed to get my lunch in no worries I had people emailing me Tuesday trying to get in to see me Wednesday and one person was completely confused by "NO I don't have any time". First they were like I am coming at 9am tomorrow to see you about this and I responded I have another appointment. Then they responded okay well I will just drop by. To which I told them I was booked all day. To which they finally responded... "I didn't think you were ever that busy." You know what dick, yes I am that busy during the semester. <_<

The highways in NC are a mix of laid back southern natives and aggressive NYC/NJ type drivers. It can be a volatile mix.

For as bad as things were on the roads in Boston, I was always amazed by how easy it was to merge up there. I think because everyone had to deal with it, they went out of their way to not make it trouble for everyone else.

Ever notice that according to the media white folks are the only ones who are racist.

I'll build off of this, sorta.

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of media coverage of the shooting death of a Rochester police officer last week. While the media couldn't wait to get its hands all over the Ferguson incident (the facts of which are unclear at best), the very cut and dry shooting of a police officer by a repeat offender has flown largely under the radar.

I wish I could figure out the rationale behind this. Does the media expect black criminals to shoot police officers therefore it's not news worthy? Does the media assume that they can only incite the black populace to violence but not the white populace? Is the media inherently racist? Does race have nothing to do with it? Does the media prefer to villainize law enforcement?

There's something to be learned from the juxtaposition of the Ferguson incident against the Rochester incident and how they have both been covered by major media outlets.