Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

A friend of mine died 2 nights ago. He got out of work early, met some friends at the bar for a couple. Left with another friend and went for a ride. They went out to a track that they rode all the time, the roads were a little wet and he lost the bike on a soft left and slammed the guardrail. He died at the scene at age 27.

Yeah, he made a mistake. Everyone knows that. But 27 is too young. Last night going to work was like walking into a funeral home. No one was talking, every break was quiet. It was very sad.

I can't help looking at this situation as a window into my past. 5 years ago I moved to Pennsylvania for work and I changed my life, but before that, I was exactly like my friend.

We would all get out of work early at least 3 nights a week and go straight to the bar that my girlfriend worked at and we would close the place down. She was always good at policing my drinking, but she could only do so much. There were nights that I should have never driven. Probably more than I'd care to admit. But nothing ever happened. I was invincible. You're always invincible until something goes wrong.

I have a hard time thinking of how many times that I could have been the one laying on the medical examiner's table. I haven't had a drink and gotten behind the wheel in years. My wife and family have had a very strong impact on how I want to live my life, and how I want my son to see me. But this could have been me a few years ago.

This post will be forgotten, that happens, I know. No one likes being preached to. But, get a ride home. Call a cab, walk if you're close enough. No one's mother deserves hearing that news. No one's girlfriend should be wondering if she should be worried about the sirens that she hears.

This sucks, work is going to suck all week.

Best of luck to you kev.  It's never easy.

I take another message from your story on top of what you said.  Stories like this as well as things I've dealt with in recent years with my father and father-in-law have helped me to realize that life is too short.  You never know what it's going to be taken away from you.  Get out there and enjoy life as much as you can while you can.

A friend of mine died 2 nights ago. He got out of work early, met some friends at the bar for a couple. Left with another friend and went for a ride. They went out to a track that they rode all the time, the roads were a little wet and he lost the bike on a soft left and slammed the guardrail. He died at the scene at age 27.

Yeah, he made a mistake. Everyone knows that. But 27 is too young. Last night going to work was like walking into a funeral home. No one was talking, every break was quiet. It was very sad.

I can't help looking at this situation as a window into my past. 5 years ago I moved to Pennsylvania for work and I changed my life, but before that, I was exactly like my friend.

We would all get out of work early at least 3 nights a week and go straight to the bar that my girlfriend worked at and we would close the place down. She was always good at policing my drinking, but she could only do so much. There were nights that I should have never driven. Probably more than I'd care to admit. But nothing ever happened. I was invincible. You're always invincible until something goes wrong.

I have a hard time thinking of how many times that I could have been the one laying on the medical examiner's table. I haven't had a drink and gotten behind the wheel in years. My wife and family have had a very strong impact on how I want to live my life, and how I want my son to see me. But this could have been me a few years ago.

This post will be forgotten, that happens, I know. No one likes being preached to. But, get a ride home. Call a cab, walk if you're close enough. No one's mother deserves hearing that news. No one's girlfriend should be wondering if she should be worried about the sirens that she hears.

Sorry about your Buddy, ubkev. That's a tough one. 

I got the chills man. My condolences to you for your friend. 

So as some of you know, since the fall I've been splitting time between Buffalo and Rochester. I've lived in Rochester since 2007 and it's where Josie and I make our home. I'm there on the weekends but during the week I'm in Buffalo for work and I live at my parents house.

This was a fine arrangement when I was taking classes, but now that I'm just working full time it's become my hell. I've time traveled 10 years into the past and now I'm wasting my evenings away eating dinner with my parents and doing chores and accomplishing nothing as it relates to my own personal projects because I have no space to spread out and stay up late working. So I'm going crazy. A giant house that couldn't feel more claustrophobic.

In Rochester there's a place called the Hungerford. It's a big old factory complex that has individual studio spaces for rent to artists. Josie rents space there. It's cool. But there doesn't seem to be anything like that here in Buffalo. Which is a bummer because I would happily pay a small sum to share a space with some people and avoid my parents house at all costs.

If rent wasn't so absurd I'd just get a second small studio apartment here, but I'm already paying rent in Rochester so I can't really swing another $450 a month.

Kill me.

This proposal I have been working on has had about 30 drafts.  If it gets rejected then a major projects is going to have serious issues once fall roles around.  I am trying to get ahead of the problem that is blatantly obvious on the horizon.  One guy was really excited about it but I found out he doesn't get to give final authorization for the money so I have to hope politically I am on good terms with someone else otherwise he will just reject it.  

On top of that I have another 2 major project to get done before the end of July. With everything that is going to start happening in August I am trying to clear projects otherwise I will sink.

On top of that my brother is being a dick to my parents.  I am going home this summer and don't want to deal with that but it needs to be addressed.  

Sh!tty week. A man was killed on our site Monday morning. He drowned in the GD river. He wasn't in my trade but was a union brother. Wife and three young children. I can't go into detail. The younger workers were pretty shaken up. I realized how desensitized I am to this type of tragedy. If anyone would like to donate to the family there is a go find me. I can't give any details but you can call the Carpenter's union hall in Rochester. They will give you the info. Thank you George W for pillaging OSHA. We working class folks don't deserve to stay safe. Profits before people. It's sad that you only see OSHA on jobs anymore when someone gets killed. Be proud of yourself George. You rat F'ing bastard!

I'm sure it's a dumb question, but can you look for work in Rochester?

At the moment no. I lucked into this job as it is and until I build my resume there's no chance of me finding a better opportunity where I can get paid to do work I actually like. So I'm not leaving this company unless they want me to.

If rent prices weren't so mind numbing Jo and I could just have our own apartments in our respective cities. But it's not workable. There's nothing out there that isn't a sh*hole that fits either of our budgets.

At the moment no. I lucked into this job as it is and until I build my resume there's no chance of me finding a better opportunity where I can get paid to do work I actually like. So I'm not leaving this company unless they want me to.

If rent prices weren't so mind numbing Jo and I could just have our own apartments in our respective cities. But it's not workable. There's nothing out there that isn't a sh*hole that fits either of our budgets.

Ever thought of renting in Leroy or Batavia? Edited by inkman

If I looked it up, I'd probably find the same complaints from past years, but my neighbors yard is a trainwreck.  Cuts grass only when it gets 5-6" high, weeds taking over landscaping beds, just a slob.  There is wood from a swingset he never built in one of the flower beds(been there for several years), a pool that hasn't been opened since they bought the house seven years ago(despite having two boys).

They have a landscaper come over every other year to redo their flower beds in front, and then proceed to not maintain them at all, which in turn makes them a mess within a couple months.

I'm not saying every yard has to be picture perfect, but have some f***ing pride in being a homeowner.

Ever thought of renting in Leroy or Batavia?

I've looked into it, but if I'm driving to Batavia or LeRoy every day, I'll drive the extra 20-30 minutes to Henrietta. 

I'm trying to put some money together to buy Jo's parent's VW wagon which would get me a little better gas mileage, so I may start just making the trip back and forth to Henrietta more than once a week. It's not a bad commute if the weather is good. But it's not ideal. 

Had my house under contract to close on the 19th, and the buyer backed out, all thanks to the incompetent real estate agents involved.  It just blows my mind how stupid these people are, that they pissed away their commission for being careless idiots.  The good that came of it?  The buyer let me keep the earnest money, so I come out $1000 up, but it cost me just under that to keep the house sitting there empty for the past month.  The house has now been on the market for a year (vacant since March), in a great area, and I can't get anyone to buy the feckin thing. I could rent it, but I'd rather just get my equity out and be done with it.  

After the latest debacle I've fired my agent, and will be starting the process again with a new one as of July 1st.

In Rochester there's a place called the Hungerford. It's a big old factory complex that has individual studio spaces for rent to artists. Josie rents space there. It's cool. But there doesn't seem to be anything like that here in Buffalo. Which is a bummer because I would happily pay a small sum to share a space with some people and avoid my parents house at all costs.

If rent wasn't so absurd I'd just get a second small studio apartment here, but I'm already paying rent in Rochester so I can't really swing another $450 a month.

Kill me.

Artspace Buffalo sounds exactly like that. No idea of the cost and availability but here is a link

http://www.artspace.org/our-places/artspace-buffalo-lofts#tab-node_place_full_group_overview

Sorry to hear that Bio. I was just going to complain about people who shoot video with their iPhones vertically, but it seems kinda silly now. 

...still pisses me off, though.

Pisses me off to, that and going to a concert and everyone with their phones up.  

I've looked into it, but if I'm driving to Batavia or LeRoy every day, I'll drive the extra 20-30 minutes to Henrietta. 

I'm trying to put some money together to buy Jo's parent's VW wagon which would get me a little better gas mileage, so I may start just making the trip back and forth to Henrietta more than once a week. It's not a bad commute if the weather is good. But it's not ideal. 

I'd hat to say it pal, but we are what is called "the sandwich" generation.  

Paying for the debts of generations before us while having to raise kids.   Meanwhile trying to buy or rent something leaves you close to being bankrupt.

Edited by Heimdall

Artspace Buffalo sounds exactly like that. No idea of the cost and availability but here is a link

http://www.artspace.org/our-places/artspace-buffalo-lofts#tab-node_place_full_group_overview

The biggest issue with Artspace is that they want you to be an artist. I'm not. I'm just a guy looking to share space with artists. The closest I've found is The Foundry, which seems a little less snobby. I have to check it out at some point.

Pisses me off to, that and going to a concert and everyone with their phones up.

I'd hat to say it pal, but we are what is called "the sandwich" generation.

Paying for the debts of generations before us while having to raise kids. Meanwhile trying to buy or rent something leaves you close to being bankrupt.

My parents tell stories of renting two bedroom apartments on one weeks entry level accountant pay back in the 70's. I can't even get a studio for one weeks pay.