Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I have to do something similar next summer, because our school's physics department is so small. Though there aren't cultural barriers in my case, there are other things I haveto worry about and I'm not looking forward to being gone that long. Best of luck to you and her.

Thanks man. It's tough.

Long distance is the worst.  Good on you guys for being good guys.

Wife lost her wallet. In Dallas. No Money / No ID.

This is gonna be FUN!

This is actually a great thing.

I'm sure she gave you a list of 80 things to do and reminded you 50 times about the kids because she figures you'd F something up.

She can't leave town for 12 hours without handing over your entire infrastructure....

You have a free pass the rest of your life my friend.

Take the kids to Hooters.....watch some R rated movies......order in all week and leave the containers everywhere.......there's nothing she can say!

Good luck though seriously....

This is actually a great thing.

I'm sure she gave you a list of 80 things to do and reminded you 50 times about the kids because she figures you'd F something up.

She can't leave town for 12 hours without handing over your entire infrastructure....

You have a free pass the rest of your life my friend.

Take the kids to Hooters.....watch some R rated movies......order in all week and leave the containers everywhere.......there's nothing she can say!

Good luck though seriously....

Spoken like a man who hasn't been married.

And with that -- locked!

An old acquaintance posted a prom pic of me and an ex from 25 years ago. The pic is fine. It just really hit me hard. I've spent 20+ years trying to forget her. She was my first everything. I was emotionally immature, things all up and have spent more days than I care to thinking of what could have been. After the pic was posted, I stayed up most of the night thinking about it.

After a couple days of reflection, I realize what bothered me the most. It wasn't the thoughts of her that bothered me. It was the thoughts of me or more to the point, where I was in life and where I was headed. I was young, handsome, intelligent on my way to college with endless potential for life.

Then I spent the next decade boozing and smoking my face off. Ruining my body and stalling any chance I had at maintaining the trajectory I was supposed to be on. I mean, I'm in a decent place now but it took working 15 years from the bottom up in a factory. I have a beautiful, healthy baby and a wife who loves me. Just wondering what could have been...

An old acquaintance posted a prom pic of me and an ex from 25 years ago. The pic is fine. It just really hit me hard. I've spent 20+ years trying to forget her. She was my first everything. I was emotionally immature, ###### things all up and have spent more days than I care to thinking of what could have been. After the pic was posted, I stayed up most of the night thinking about it.

After a couple days of reflection, I realize what bothered me the most. It wasn't the thoughts of her that bothered me. It was the thoughts of me or more to the point, where I was in life and where I was headed. I was young, handsome, intelligent on my way to college with endless potential for life.

Then I spent the next decade boozing and smoking my face off. Ruining my body and stalling any chance I had at maintaining the trajectory I was supposed to be on. I mean, I'm in a decent place now but it took working 15 years from the bottom up in a factory. I have a beautiful, healthy baby and a wife who loves me. Just wondering what could have been...

Max Ehrmann - Desiderata 

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story. 

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. 

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism. 

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love;

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment

it is as perennial as the grass. 

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself. 

You are a child of the universe,

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. 

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. 

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Max Ehrmann - Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,

they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs;

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love;

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment

it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Guy from the water company was out this morning to do a scheduled replacement of the meter in my basement.  On his way out to check the reading outside the house, he accidentally stepped on a baby bunny that was hiding in the grass right next to the sidewalk.  :(  Poor thing kicked and moved in circles for a minute before it stopped, and when he was done checking the meter it was dead.  He and I both felt terrible (him for stepping on it, and me for not having found time to cut the grass recently).   :cry:

An old acquaintance posted a prom pic of me and an ex from 25 years ago. The pic is fine. It just really hit me hard. I've spent 20+ years trying to forget her. She was my first everything. I was emotionally immature, ###### things all up and have spent more days than I care to thinking of what could have been. After the pic was posted, I stayed up most of the night thinking about it.

My friend -- I feel your pain.  All I can say is that everyone -- no matter how wealthy or successful -- has regrets, and everyone wonders what might have been.  But not everyone has a loving wife, a healthy baby and a solid job.  There are literally millions of people who would love to trade places with you.  The key is not to focus on what you don't have -- it's to focus on what you do have, which is a lot.

Liger -- that was an awesome response.

my fiance's cat is dying.  He's 15 years old. I was so choked up last night just watching her hold him and snuggle him just to make him comfortable.  He won't snuggle with anyone but her, and he made the cutest damn noise when he tried to purr  :cry:

It hit me right in the feels  :cry:

What nfreeman said. WTF are you complaining about?! What could have been... it happened.

It's a good thing you started doing the opposite. 

Complaint: I've refrained from posting for the last day or so trying to come up with something awesome for post #5000, but I'm not clever or motivated enough to write something I feel reflects the gravity of the situation. I thought about posting up the beginning of my action/comedy short story about an NHL player who is so bad the Front Office tries to have him killed, but that's still in pretty rough shape.

So this is it: post 5000. :)

Complaint: I've refrained from posting for the last day or so trying to come up with something awesome for post #5000, but I'm not clever or motivated enough to write something I feel reflects the gravity of the situation. I thought about posting up the beginning of my action/comedy short story about an NHL player who is so bad the Front Office tries to have him killed, but that's still in pretty rough shape.

So this is it: post 5000. :)

Who would you cast to play Ville?

Guy from the water company was out this morning to do a scheduled replacement of the meter in my basement.  On his way out to check the reading outside the house, he accidentally stepped on a baby bunny that was hiding in the grass right next to the sidewalk.   :(  Poor thing kicked and moved in circles for a minute before it stopped, and when he was done checking the meter it was dead.  He and I both felt terrible (him for stepping on it, and me for not having found time to cut the grass recently).   :cry:

If the water guy's name was Lenny....this needs to be moved to the awesome thread.....