GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

6 minutes ago, Stads said:

With Biro in the lineup wearing #15, who is your favorite Sabre to wear that number? I'm partial to Dixon Ward. I know Jack wore #15, but he's not even my favorite #9 and he can also go pound rocks 

For the lazy:

"Other players to wear #15 for the Sabres: Colin Stuart, Dainius Zubrus, Milan Bartovic, Sergei Petrenko, Greg Brown, Randy Wood, Lou Franceschetti, Kevin Haller, Doug Smith, Chris Langevin, Adam Creighton, Geordie Robertson, Yvon Lambert, Rob McClanahan, Mike Boland, Gary McAdam, Michel Deziel, Bryan McSheffrey, Gerry Meehan."

Reading that list is a whose who of who's that?

Anyone not picking Randy Wood is simply lying to themselves.

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

For the lazy:

"Other players to wear #15 for the Sabres: Colin Stuart, Dainius Zubrus, Milan Bartovic, Sergei Petrenko, Greg Brown, Randy Wood, Lou Franceschetti, Kevin Haller, Doug Smith, Chris Langevin, Adam Creighton, Geordie Robertson, Yvon Lambert, Rob McClanahan, Mike Boland, Gary McAdam, Michel Deziel, Bryan McSheffrey, Gerry Meehan."

Lou Franceschetti, the horse collar rules.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Stads said:

With Biro in the lineup wearing #15, who is your favorite Sabre to wear that number? I'm partial to Dixon Ward. I know Jack wore #15, but he's not even my favorite #9 and he can also go pound rocks 

Smilin' Ger, but not for being a player - as a GM.  He brought us Mogilny and LaLa.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Lou Franceschetti, the horse collar rules.

It may become standard equipment soon.

7 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

For the lazy:

Always liked McClanahan, hoped he could bring the magic of the Miracle on Ice.

Ramsey worked out, he didn’t.

25 minutes ago, Hank said:

Looking forward to watching 6K solidify his role as starting goalie, he's looked good!

You have more confidence in him than I do, but hope you are right that he is good. 

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Let’s get the PP back to last year’s level, starting tonight.

The Sabres becoming a special teams nightmare for the opposition can happen.

They look good but just need to bury a few

26 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

For the lazy:

Meehan, our team Captain, had 94 goals and 207 points in his 4 years here before being dealt to the Canucks. The best on that list by a mile. 

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Stads said:

36 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

For the lazy:

Doug Smith, perhaps the most generic #2 overall pick ever?

Acquired at age 22 along with Brian Engblom for McKenna, Baumgartner and the legendary Larry Playfair, scored 61 points points in his first 92 games as a Sabre and was out of the NHL 3 years later.

Picked right after Dale Hawerchuk and before Bobby Carpenter and Ron Francis.

Love to hear that guy’s story.

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For this one I've got Wood too. Great minds think alike.

Well - you and John Gurtler, anyway? I always thought that call of his when Wood shot the puck was hilarious (and awful).

I agreed upthread that Meehan is probably the most worthy.

I hold a special fondness for Creighton because he was so tall. And for Ward because he was something of a whipping boy for certain fans.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gerry Meehan. The O.G.

For the young guns here(not you PTR), Meehan’s most famous moment as a Sabre…last game of the 71-72 season, playing the Flyers. The Flyers need a win or a tie to get in the playoffs.  Game tied 2-2, clock ticking, Meehan fires a shot from outside the blueline that beats Doug Favell with 4 seconds to go sending the Flyers to the golf course. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.