Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

52 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

Been wondering the same thing.  How can they afford everyone? 

Top heavy roster. About a $4.5m raise from this year?  Well, the cap might to up 1-1.5...so that would leave you to around $3m to have to come up with.  Bertuzzi and Domi are both on 1 year deals totaling $8.5m.  So, don't resign those 2, replace them 2 different 'middle to bottom line' guys making $2-3m per year, and there you go.

TJ Brodie is also making $5m and comes off the books next year. He can either re-sign there for a lesser number, or they can find someone sligtly cheaper to replace him with (Hes going to be 34 next year, is solid but not stellar defensively and has contributed a total of 7 goals over the last 3.5 years for them from the blueline). Even without offense and him playing well defensively, I'm not sure they want to pay the same number to a guy at his age.

Toronto's big problem is that they likely have a 2 year window to be among the favorites for the cup...this year and next.  Tavares is a high priced guy who is getting old, but he is gone in 2 years.  Hes still producing, (36 goals last year and a 27 goal pace this year).  That is hard to replace. In 2 years, either he will be gone, or at least that level of production will be.  The 3rd season from now (after their 2 year window I think exists), Nylander will be 31, still good but maybe starting that slow down trend (at least still not improving). Brodie will be gone by then. Reilly is the only really good d-man they have, he will still be good but at 32 years of age no longer impoving either.  They don't have a bunch of young guys who are looking to be very good NHL players knocking down the door either.

The Nylander contract was done because they NEED him for the next 3 years to keep things together.  Also they team won't fall apart 3 years from now, Matthews and Marner will still be in their prime, but they window with this roster...is open widest this year and next.

Edited by mjd1001

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Top heavy roster. About a $4.5m raise from this year?  Well, the cap might to up 1-1.5...so that would leave you to around $3m to have to come up with.  Bertuzzi and Domi are both on 1 year deals totaling $8.5m.  So, don't resign those 2, replace them 2 different 'middle to bottom line' guys making $2-3m per year, and there you go.

TJ Brodie is also making $5m and comes off the books next year. He can either re-sign there for a lesser number, or they can find someone sligtly cheaper to replace him with (Hes going to be 34 next year, is solid but not stellar defensively and has contributed a total of 7 goals over the last 3.5 years for them from the blueline). Even without offense and him playing well defensively, I'm not sure they want to pay the same number to a guy at his age.

And after one more year Tavares will be finding a new home. 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"Not noted for defence" looks hilarious with that 9% even strength defence.  It is like Gil Perreault's first two years except that Nylander does not appear to be working on improving it.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

"Not noted for defence" looks hilarious with that 9% even strength defence.  It is like Gil Perreault's first two years except that Nylander does not appear to be working on improving it.

Why would he?

By NOT concentrating on it he both got a Brinks truck backed up to his house AND gets his Springs free to do what he wants without having to worry about that pesky 2nd round of the playoffs.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

That, or he'll take a major paycut to continue to get to wear his blue and white underoos.

To some degree I feel bad for the guy because the decision to ***** over the Isles and go to Toronto wasn't his (and I think you know who I'm referring to).

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This kind of reminds me of the people who take Kevyn at face value when he says he really likes player X or player Y and can't believe he'd move them.  GMs have to keep their prospects in the fold and make it sound like they're part of the long term plan right up to when the trade is announced to protect both the player and his value.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Toronto's big problem is that they likely have a 2 year window to be among the favorites for the cup...this year and next.  Tavares is a high priced guy who is getting old, but he is gone in 2 years.  Hes still producing, (36 goals last year and a 27 goal pace this year).  That is hard to replace. In 2 years, either he will be gone, or at least that level of production will be.  The 3rd season from now (after their 2 year window I think exists), Nylander will be 31, still good but maybe starting that slow down trend (at least still not improving). Brodie will be gone by then. Reilly is the only really good d-man they have, he will still be good but at 32 years of age no longer impoving either.  They don't have a bunch of young guys who are looking to be very good NHL players knocking down the door either.

The Nylander contract was done because they NEED him for the next 3 years to keep things together.  Also they team won't fall apart 3 years from now, Matthews and Marner will still be in their prime, but they window with this roster...is open widest this year and next.

Feels like this is were I remind everyone that salary cap is going up $4.2M next year and is expected to skyrocket in the next five years. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Very unusual to say the least.

There is some video somewhere of Cutter saying he grew up a Penguins fan so he wouldn't like playing for the Flyers. Ridiculous if you ask me. I think we're beginning to see the next generation of athlete coming through the system and I'm thinking the old guard fans are not going to like it very much.

I get concerned that the "amateur" level free agency craze has taken hold.  Hockey is a bit insulated but these college players with the transfer portal and the NIL shenanigans will have an impact on attitudes toward being thankful to be drafted to "highest bidder wins". Sure there are agreements in place but I suspect we'll see players advocating heavily for more control over where they play.

We've basically built a youth sports system that caters to these athletes.  Sure it's been around awhile, but it's getting worse and so I think the impacts will continue to grow.

Anyway.. glad it as not a Sabres problem.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, you have to give credit to the Flyers as an organization for keeping this pretty quiet and then trading him at peak value (after a good Worlds) for a prospect. Culture rebuilding has been more important there than catering to some kid with an ego. I'm with Torts, I wouldn't want a guy who doesn't want to be there either. 

Drysdale's definitely modern era D. Not sure he's Torts' D though.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, you have to give credit to the Flyers as an organization for keeping this pretty quiet and then trading him at peak value (after a good Worlds) for a prospect. Culture rebuilding has been more important there than catering to some kid with an ego. I'm with Torts, I wouldn't want a guy who doesn't want to be there either. 

Drysdale's definitely modern era D. Not sure he's Torts' D though.  

You’re starting to sound like Adams “We want players that want to be here.”😜

Edited by Flashsabre