Backup goaltending: what do we really think about the situation in the crease?

dudacek

Backup  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think UPL and/or Comrie is capable of delivering up to 30 games of adequate goaltending this year?

2. 2. Do you want to add a goalie capable of delivering up to 30 games of adequate goaltending this year?

3. 3. How much are you willing to to invest in a trade for a new back up or 1B goalkeeper?

• Some: a 3rd round or less equivalent value
    • A fair amount: maybe a 2nd-rounder or equivalent player or prospect
    • Whatever it takes to upgrade the spot beside Levi, we can’t start the year with Comrie or UPL as a #2

That they think Levi will be playing 50 plus games.  

He played how many games down the stretch in a row including back to back nights just 1 month removed from college?  In a hectic race for the playoffs we haven’t seen in 12 years.  

They’ll bring someone in as a hopeful upgrade from UPL and Comrie I’m pretty sure.  

I think that’s the plan.

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 1

I would look at the Sabres Goaltending Situation this season as they should have co starters. 

They should get Levi as many starts as possible, but have a capable co starter in case he struggles 

The third option should be a First or equivalent prospect imho 

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

1 injury away from being a bottom team in the league if levi gets injured.

Think about it 

We just watched a season where UPL and Comrie played 52 games and the Sabres were 33 points above the bottom.

Think about it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Think about it 

Respectfully disagree, with an improved level of defense and the young players—hopefully including UPL—getting better this team will probably win anyway. 

I mean if a good goalie is to be had, sure, but don’t see it 

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We just watched a season where UPL and Comrie played 52 games and the Sabres were 33 points above the bottom.

Think about it.

Very diplomatic.

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Respectfully disagree, with an improved level of defense and the young players—hopefully including UPL—getting better this team will probably win anyway. 

I mean if a good goalie is to be had, sure, but don’t see it 

Very polite.

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You are just miserable.

Very good.

Poll ...

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Willing to pay a reasonalbe amount for a reasonable upgrade on the #2 / #3 if possible.

Be careful folks. Someone will say you are being disrespectful to Levi if you think KA should upgrade Comrie and UPL.  

It’s entirely possible that Levi starts 40+ and the other 3 guys play 35 or so and the Sabres get NHL average from them and we squeak into the playoffs. Is that really the goal?  Our offense last year put up 293 goals.  We just upgraded the D and PK.  We still have plenty of cap room why settle for bad backup goaltending and put the weight of the franchise on a rookie with 7 games of pro experience?

Here are the backups in case things go wrong.

Eric Comrie - NHL experience - 47 games over 7 years - Career Gaa - 3.32 with a .897 save %. Quality save % .465

UPL - NHL experience - 46 games over 3 years - Career GAA - 3.47 with a .897 save %.  Quality save % .422

Tokarski - NHL experience - 80 games over 9 years - Career GAA - 3.15 with a .902 save %. Quality save % . 463

By comparison here is what Tristan Jarry looks like - 206 gp - 2.65 GAA, .914 save% and .606 Quality save %.

Who would you rather share the net with Levi, guys like our 3 backups or someone like Jarry? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Be careful folks. Someone will say you are being disrespectful to Levi if you think KA should upgrade Comrie and UPL.  

It’s entirely possible that Levi starts 40+ and the other 3 guys play 35 or so and the Sabres get NHL average from them and we squeak into the playoffs. Is that really the goal?  Our offense last year put up 293 goals.  We just upgraded the D and PK.  We still have plenty of cap room why settle for bad backup goaltending and put the weight of the franchise on a rookie with 7 games of pro experience?

Here are the backups in case things go wrong.

Eric Comrie - NHL experience - 47 games over 7 years - Career Gaa - 3.32 with a .897 save %. Quality save % .465

UPL - NHL experience - 46 games over 3 years - Career GAA - 3.47 with a .897 save %.  Quality save % .422

Tokarski - NHL experience - 80 games over 9 years - Career GAA - 3.15 with a .902 save %. Quality save % . 463

By comparison here is what Tristan Jarry looks like - 206 gp - 2.65 GAA, .914 save% and .606 Quality save %.

Who would you rather share the net with Levi, guys like our 3 backups or someone like Jarry? 

The question is would you favor a Jarry contract for what we envision as a backup or at best a 1B goaltender? Just asking. 

Goalies are such weird animals... I am hesitant unless for right term... I like idea of someone like MAF... but I have no clairvoyance...  Jarry has been up and down some of it due to injuries so not sure he's the answer... but yes if it is an upgrade at right term.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would look at the Sabres Goaltending Situation this season as they should have co starters. 

They should get Levi as many starts as possible, but have a capable co starter in case he struggles 

The third option should be a First or equivalent prospect imho 

Very much this.

Really disappointing that Varlamov stayed on the Island.  (Yes, we all knew he wanted to be there, but still was really hoping Adam's would show interest & convince him he could live on Grand Island.  It would be ALMOST identical but with less traffic and fewer malls.)

Personally believe one of UPL or Comrie MAY be good enough, but it is by no means a given and somebody like Varlamov would be nearly ideal as a 1B that could be a 1 in a pinch. 

Adams has had a decent off-season so far.  Still hoping he can make it a great off-season.  But not fully hopeful. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Radar said:

The question is would you favor a Jarry contract for what we envision as a backup or at best a 1B goaltender? Just asking. 

Fair question.  Finding someone with similar credentials on a 2-4 year deal would have been ideal.  $5 mill per season for up to 4 years should not be a problem for us cap wise.  Also such a contract is likely very trade-able after 2 years.

I fully understand why none of the bigger names came here.  All the big names, Hill, Andersen, Jarry and Varlamov all stayed with their current teams leaving not much for those looking for help.  That doesn’t change the disappointment in not finding help and keeping the lousy status quo.

I still believe help is possible, but KA is going to have to be creative.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Think about it 

This is the kind of ill-conceived crap that you just all too frequently belch out onto your keyboard.  It annoys everyone and detracts from everyone's experience on this board.

It's not about being pessimistic about the team or any individual move.  It's the wasting of everyone's time with utterly thoughtless takes.

Eliminate these types of posts and everyone will be happier.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I have no problem with Levi being the primary goalie and the other two goalies competing for the backup duty. There are a few elite goalies and many more jags playing the position. And considering the reality that most goalies (not elite ones) are very mercurial and can't be predicted how they would perform season in and season out. My recommendation is to keep your assets and stay the course. 

The best way to improve the play of our netminders is for this team to play better two-way hockey. Our blue line unit has been strengthened, hopefully our PK will benefit with the added players and our lines need to play a more responsible game in their end. It's the general defensive play of the team where our attention should be focused on. 

I thought the most interesting thing Adams said today about goaltending was that they could have been in on some goalies but said “why would I do that if they aren’t better than what we already have?”

Also said he had UPL over to the house for dinner and had a big heart-to-heart. Said he hopes UPL left with a good understanding of what his opportunity is and what he has to do to seize it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also said he had UPL over to the house for dinner and had a big heart-to-heart. Said he hopes UPL left with a good understanding of what his opportunity is and what he has to do to seize it.

A feel good story except IMO the problem with UPL is talent or lack there of.   All the heart to hearts in the world will not overcome this. 

Edited by LabattBlue

I just don’t understand why we are here with UPL. He has not been good since he’s been in North America. Stats don’t lie. And neither will the Amerks season ticket holders. The guy doesn’t have it.  

Sure, he’s had a couple of stretches where he gets hot for a few games like any other goalie. But he’s never been good. His career save percentage at the AHL level is sub .900. Same at the NHL level. 

If he was drafted in the 6th round instead of the 2nd round, would anyone care about him at the NHL level?

Is it because the team hasn’t had a young goalie in the pipeline since Jonas Johansson (and haven’t had a good prospect since Ullmark), so we are just stuck with UPL for better or worse?

Comrie might be the sacrificial lamb to the waiver wire because the concept of UPL might have more value league-wide, but the Sabres should be doing the opposite. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.