Backup goaltending: what do we really think about the situation in the crease?

dudacek

Backup  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think UPL and/or Comrie is capable of delivering up to 30 games of adequate goaltending this year?

2. 2. Do you want to add a goalie capable of delivering up to 30 games of adequate goaltending this year?

3. 3. How much are you willing to to invest in a trade for a new back up or 1B goalkeeper?

• Some: a 3rd round or less equivalent value
    • A fair amount: maybe a 2nd-rounder or equivalent player or prospect
    • Whatever it takes to upgrade the spot beside Levi, we can’t start the year with Comrie or UPL as a #2

Chad and other members of Buffalo Twitter had some content today - sorry can't link at the moment - suggesting that relying on a 21 year-old goalie (to start the season) to provide solid NHL minutes for ~30+ games is ... fairly  without precedent. The name Carter Hart was thrown out there as the lone unicorn who managed to do it.

DO SOMETHING, KEVYN.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Chad and other members of Buffalo Twitter had some content today - sorry can't link at the moment - suggesting that relying on a 21 year-old goalie (to start the season) to provide solid NHL minutes for ~30+ games is ... fairly  without precedent. The name Carter Hart was thrown out there as the lone unicorn who managed to do it.

DO SOMETHING, KEVYN.

Very often a decision not to do anything is the something that the GM decided to make. You and the majority don't agree with the status quo situation that the GM, so far, has taken. It appears that Levi is going to be our primary goalie with UPL and Comrie competing for the backup role. I'm not worried about the current goalie staffing. Instead of getting another goalie I would rather the GM bring in another 4/5 defenseman and put the goalies, whoever they are, in a better position to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

DO SOMETHING, KEVYN.

I have posted this previously, but there are only 5 goalies to start 40+ games as a 21-year-old since 2000.  Only Steven Mason (58 games in 09/20), Price (52 games in 08/09), MAF (50 games in 05/06), Luongo (47 games in 00/01), and Hart (43 games in 19/20).  Hart was the best by a wide margin with a 2.42 Gaa and a .914 Save%.  

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/player-age/21-year-old-nhl-goalies.html

I agree that not upgrading UPL and Comrie is a huge mistake on KA's part, but I'm not sure what can be done about it at this point without an offer sheet to an RFA goalie or trading for Hellebuyck.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Sad 1

I'll amend my previous post with this question.  If Calgary, who has Vlader and Wolf waiting in the wings, is willing to move on from Markstrom, would you be interested?  Would KA be interested?  Would Markstrom waive his NMC to come to Buffalo?

Markstrom has 3 years left at $6 mill per season in cap ($20 mill in real $).  He has been solid up until last season when his Gaa jumped to 2.92 with a .892 save % in 59 games.  He was excellent the year prior with a 2.22 and a .922 in 63 games.   If interested, what would it cost?  The Flames have a full roster and 2.4 mill in cap space.  Markstrom is 33.

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'll amend my previous post with this question.  If Calgary, who has Vlader and Wolf waiting in the wings, is willing to move on from Markstrom, would you be interested?  Would KA be interested?  Would Markstrom waive his NMC to come to Buffalo?

Markstrom has 3 years left at $6 mill per season in cap ($20 mill in real $).  He has been solid up until last season when his Gaa jumped to 2.92 with a .892 save % in 59 games.  He was excellent the year prior with a 2.22 and a .922 in 63 games.   If interested, what would it cost?  The Flames have a full roster and 2.4 mill in cap space.  Markstrom is 33.

At least 2 mil in retention and I'd give them UPL and a 3rd.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

At least 2 mil in retention and I'd give them UPL and a 3rd.

This is why we cant find a goalie.

Over the past 3 years, Markstrom is objectively a good NHL starting goalie. He’s 6th in the league in wins, 20th in s % and 11th in GAA.

And we won’t pay more for him than Riley Stillman and a goalie we’re terrified to let play 30 games.

There’s like 5 goalies Sabrefans want and none we’re willing to give up anything for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Calgary needs to move a goalie, Hellebuyck in Winnipeg, Swayman, Samsonov and Gustavsson going to arbitration with cap strapped teams, the Team Canada report holding up any Hart move. The goalie story of the summer is far from being over.

Vladar and Hanifin for Olofsson, Jokiharju and next year’s 1st.

Who says no, and why?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Very often a decision not to do anything is the something that the GM decided to make. You and the majority don't agree with the status quo situation that the GM, so far, has taken. It appears that Levi is going to be our primary goalie with UPL and Comrie competing for the backup role. I'm not worried about the current goalie staffing. Instead of getting another goalie I would rather the GM bring in another 4/5 defenseman and put the goalies, whoever they are, in a better position to succeed. 

Is this an auto response? Actually asking 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Who says no, and why?

The Sabres, they already have better versions of Hanifin in Power and Dahlin, Hanifin is not very good defensively. 

Vladar would be a target though 

Just now, Brawndo said:

The Sabres, they already have better versions of Hanifin in Power and Dahlin, Hanifin is not very good defensively. 

Do you think Vladar for Olofsson works?

And is Vladar who we want for our 1B? His resume is not appreciably different than UPL’s on the surface.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you think Vladar for Olofsson works?

And is Vladar who we want for our 1B? His resume is not appreciably different than UPL’s on the surface.

Vladar has a little more AHL Success and he was the original target in the Hall to Boston Deal 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Who says no, and why?

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Personally would do that deal.  IMHO, it's Hannifan for Olofsson and about 60% of that 1st (a trade of pending UFA for pending UFA+) and then Vladar for Jokiharju and the rest of that 1st.

Would have a lot of flexibility with the top 6 D they'd roll out and would personally use Hannifan with either Johnson or Lyubushkin with Dahlin - Samuelsson and Power - Clifton the other normal pairings.  Would allow Granato to reduce both Dahlin's and Power's usage and he could always ramp their deployments up when necessary.

Plus then UPL becomes expendable for something.  Maybe just a 2nd, but he becomes trade bait himself.

I’m trusting in the Sabres self scouting. And hope they excel. UPL has potential but who knows. I have wanted a trade for a veteran but also don’t want to give up a ton. Middle vote there. 

But I’m willing to let Levi split time with one or both of the other two. We went with 3 goalies much of last year and I suspect we could do the same this year; unless the young forwards prove they belong. We could carry 8/12/3 Or 7/13/3.

Ideally 8/13/2 but either UPL or Comrie would have to show up and be excellent.  Perhaps they will. One never knows. It may be of use to recall that UPL had nine games year before last and he put up better numbers than Levi did last season in 7 games. Though I think Levi has more talent. 

I do think the defensive upgrades and another year of maturity of our young defenders will help a ton! I thought the D was a big problem with our giving up so many goals last season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.