Zemgus is Back on a one year 2.5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Difference is that now there is talent in the pipeline and youngsters looking for opportunity. KO needs some time watching from the press box, not nearly as big a problem as it was 3-4 years ago. 

2 issues with that IMHO.

1 - they aren't going to be pulling a kid up from Ra-cha-cha to play while Okposo is getting a "veteran rest night" in the press box and that is likely an opportunity lost for growth / development.

2 - he's a proud and well respected professional athlete; there is no guarantee that he'll get that pressbox time (especially if he continues to wear the C) and that COULD leave points on the board that they'll want back at the end of the year.

I'm glad it's only for one year.  He does well on PK and is willing to hit, just wish he would do it more.  

Would love to get a guy like Frederick or Hathaway from the Bruins to fill in spot on wing with Mitts.

Jost should be extra forward that fills in for injuries.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

2 issues with that IMHO.

1 - they aren't going to be pulling a kid up from Ra-cha-cha to play while Okposo is getting a "veteran rest night" in the press box and that is likely an opportunity lost for growth / development.

2 - he's a proud and well respected professional athlete; there is no guarantee that he'll get that pressbox time (especially if he continues to wear the C) and that COULD leave points on the board that they'll want back at the end of the year.

Good points. I was speaking more to the issue of "if" KO were to be spent by Thanksgiving and pushed to the press box for an extended period of time. Not just a rest night but an actual breaking down or broken down scenario. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

From a fan perspective, love the guy, desperately want to see him in the playoffs wearing blue and gold.

From a hockey perspective, not many better 4th line wingers in this league. People scream for more of what he brings from the team yet overlook the fact he’s bringing it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

We'll see if it's an overpay.  Personally expect he could've gotten more on the open market (both in $'s and term).

If Jim Benning were still employed, he'd have signed Z to a 4x$3M contract. The Beagle Treatment.

Girgs has been around forever, but still has his speed. He'll probably lose a step in the next few seasons, so 1-year deals are fine. But that gives others the opportunity to grow their games and frames in the meantime.

One thing also we mustn't forget: Zemgus Girgensons is a phenomenal hockey name.

• Like (+1) 1

He probably could have gotten a long term deal somewhere else.   From a hockey perspective I would have signed him over Okposo.

Sentimental value is there for us fans to have him back and its some true buffalo love if he prefers a 1 year deal over longer term elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Night Train said:

The youth we are looking to eventually promote weren't taking 4th line spots. That's your Vet checking line. 

So look at the top 3 lines and pick someone to replace. JJP and Quinn grabbed the 2 open spots last year. 

Or someone is getting traded for D help to open up a spot. 

The other benefit of OK and Z on the 4th line and not playing PP time...  when you bench JJP and Quinn nearly the entire 3rd period while in the lead, you finish the season with an excellent "leading after 2 periods" record. Yes, the opponents came back and tied some games and the Sabres would win in OT, but overall the Sabres were great in the 3rd last season because of the old guys. It's why I'm not keen on Kulich and Savoie both in the lineup this season -- I expect to have to protect 3rd period leads all season.

This year, JJP and Quinn will play more 3rd minutes. (As will Greenway, as he's taken the minutes from VO.) But the steadiness of Z and Okposo to close out games after the high-flying attack took the lead in the 2nd is still a good thing to have.

• Like (+1) 1

Welcome back Z.  You were about the only lovable guy during the drought.  Really want to see you as part of the team that ends the drought.

His skillset would need to be replaced if we didn’t sign him as we don’t have anyone in the system that can step in and be effective in his role, so this saves us from countless GA posts asking when KA is going to get us a defensively responsible forward with some mustard in his game.

For that I am grateful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

But it sure does cement the fact they are bringing back the band.

Skinner Tage, Tuch, 

Peterka Greenway Cozens Mitts Quinn

Okposo Krebs Girgensons 

That’s 11 everyday players with 2 or 3 roster spots left up front.

Vic’s gone and Rousek is knocking on the door.

Wonder if they bring in an upgrade on Jost for that last spot?

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

This is the least amount of roster turnover I can remember.

OK for one year and take it from there.

So far yes. Let’s see what KA does between now and 3 months from now. 

He has made a bunch of moves in prior off seasons, and not all were done by late June.

I dislike this move less than the Okposo re-signing but still would have preferred an upgrade over both of these players. Neither hit enough, are fast enough, not really sure what they bring to the table other than experience and it didn't seem to help when we started losing. Building the culture up is great and essential but we have guys like Thompson, Skinner, Tuch, Dahlin who have plenty of experience and leadership. It is what it is though and they're Sabres so I'll root for them to get the kids where they need to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

They should sign Jost to a year as well, completing the do over.

No reason to rush the guys in the pipeline, playoffs are the goal and it's achievable with this group......

There were no problems scoring goals last season...just preventing them. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, French Collection said:

This is the least amount of roster turnover I can remember.

OK for one year and take it from there.

To be fair, there were several rookies and 2nd year guys on the roster. The growth can come from them learning, not like a team of vets that are already done getting better.

Also:

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.