Zemgus is Back on a one year 2.5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

Glad Z is back... OK I love but not much left in the tank... I agree trading Ollie and sitting OK when he burns out in October opens some doors on the crack forcing younguns to really earn it... Im meh about Jost and hope Kulich out plays him... Id like to see Kulich get an opportunity too... Savoie hit a wall late and needs to grow... nother year for all cant hurt... Really want to see D upgrade and goalie is such a question mark but all of this has already been said... Go Sabres

Edited by North Buffalo

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This board sorely, sorely misses the “meh” emoji reaction. Miss it around here so much. This signing and this player is THE perfect spot for it. He’s certainly reasonable on the 4th line, and he’s also one of the sports most reasonably upgraded..

meh

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

This is the least amount of roster turnover I can remember.

OK for one year and take it from there.

What do you mean “ok for one year”? Actually asking.

The bare minimum expectation this year for Kevyn Adams’ squad remains playoffs, right?

Just checking 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Status quo signing.  We now have 12 forwards under contract.  Is this a message that they don’t think Rousek or any of the other prospects are ready to contribute?  What does this mean for Jost?  

Honestly I was hoping for a move or two to strengthen the 4th line and to help the PK.  

Is adding defense and goaltending now the only priority?

Olofsson will be traded to open up a spot.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Tell him that to his face and find out.

2.5 is a lot but it's also a lot for certain other players.

I have to be careful which of the Kevyn Adams being Kevyn Adams moves I get into it about. It’s Kevyn Adams’ world we are just living in it, I am aware.

I take it back. It’s a great signing. No improvement needed. (I don’t care about Gus ending his drought as much as I care about me and MY drought ending, but I’ll continue rooting for the guy)

(I’m also prepared to say “great idea, no improvement needed” when it comes to goaltending.)

Edited by Thorny

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The idea that Okposo and Girgensons are somehow to blame for the team being bad while they’ve been here, or that the team can’t be good if they are here, is just something I can’t get my head around.

$5 mil could by a really good 3rd line C, but let’s spend on a washed up on the wrong side of 30 forward and another guy who brings nothing that stands out. 

I guess it will be another year of “slow cooking”. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

But it sure does cement the fact they are bringing back the band.

Skinner Tage, Tuch, 

Peterka Greenway Cozens Mitts Quinn

Okposo Krebs Girgensons 

That’s 11 everyday players with 2 or 3 roster spots left up front.

Vic’s gone and Rousek is knocking on the door.

Wonder if they bring in an upgrade on Jost for that last spot?

The most charitable reading is that Adams is thinking the group gets in the playoffs through internal improvement. That’s fine. It’s reasonable. Could easily be accurate.

But it does have to actually happen, then. No “hindsight is 20/20 arguments” need apply should they fall short 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The most charitable reading is that Adams is thinking the group gets in the playoffs through internal improvement. That’s fine. It’s reasonable.

But it does have to actually happen, then. No “hindsight is 20/20 arguments” need apply should they fall short 

I don’t think it is reasonable if they roll with some combo of Levi/Comrie/UPL for 23-24. 

Edited by LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I have to be careful which of the Kevyn Adams being Kevyn Adams moves I get into it about. It’s Kevyn Adams’ world we are just living in it, I am aware.

I take it back. It’s a great signing. No improvement needed. (I don’t care about Gus ending his drought as much as I care about me and MY drought ending, but I’ll continue rooting for the guy)

(I’m also prepared to say “great idea, no improvement needed” when it comes to goaltending.)

I don't think you're too far off base.  If the price tag read 3.0, I'd be kicking and screaming.  But I'd be kicking and screaming if Okposo's price tag was 3.0, too.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t think it is reasonable if they roll with some combo of Levi/Comrie/UPL for 23-24. 

He’ll have to live and die by the results. If it works, it was reasonable. If it doesn’t, he made a big mistake. No wiggle room. He’s beholden to the results, now 

• Agree 3

Just now, Eleven said:

I don't think you're too far off base.  If the price tag read 3.0, I'd be kicking and screaming.  But I'd be kicking and screaming if Okposo's price tag was 3.0, too.

So if they signed for $500k more each, you would be pissed, but at 2.5 you are ok?  

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I really know sh*t all about the cap and if it was the right price. I’ll defer to you on that. I’m more interested in the philosophy 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He’ll have to live and die by the results. If it works, it was reasonable. If it doesn’t, he made a big mistake. No wiggle room. He’s beholden to the results, now 

I think they could miss the playoffs because of goaltending in 23-24, and Adams would have as much job security as he had on the day he was hired. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So if they signed for $500k more each, you would be pissed, but at 2.5 you are ok?  

Ever walk away from a house because it was just $10K too much?  Or a car because it was $2K too much?  Yes.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I would have preferred they walk away from both, but anythin about 1mil is too much

Well apparently I'm Mr. Big Spender.

(Seriously, I would have preferred neither at this price, but this was my absolute limit.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I think they could miss the playoffs because of goaltending in 23-24, and Adams would have as much job security as he had on the day he was hired. 

Missing the playoffs 4 straight years as a GM is inarguably unacceptable. Doesn’t matter the plan, doesn’t matter the context, it’s too high of a number for that to be reasonably plausible for someone apt, and trying to win. A plan that takes 5 years to get in isn’t a good plan, regardless of starting point. Almost everyone to a man has said playoffs are the baseline expectation in 23-24. If the narrative starts changing to “another building year” or whatever, I’m just going to show myself out lol.

And that’s not me saying he should be fired if we miss. No. Merely the season be declared an abject failure with a hot seat resulting for next season 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

$5 mil could by a really good 3rd line C, but let’s spend on a washed up on the wrong side of 30 forward and another guy who brings nothing that stands out. 

I guess it will be another year of “slow cooking”. 

Why do you hate the current forward group so much?

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The most charitable reading is that Adams is thinking the group gets in the playoffs through internal improvement. That’s fine. It’s reasonable. Could easily be accurate.

I look at last year’s forward group and see a lot of big forwards with good overall speed and compete and a ton of scoring ability.

I’d like to see more defensive awareness and physical strength, which they have tried to address with Greenway.

I see Tage, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts Okposo and Girgensons all properly slotted and good at their roles.

I see improvement needed from Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Greenway, Olofsson and Jost in theirs.

The 1st four are all certainly capable of growth. I think their growth would go a long way toward addressing the flaws of the corps. I want all of them on my team and in the starting lineup.

I would like to see Olofsson and Jost removed from the starting 12 in favour of a player or players who add more edge, responsibility and/or PK ability (plus hopefully the ability to take faceoffs) to the 3rd or 4th line.

In short, I’m OK with running most of last year’s forwards back because I think the forward corps is very nearly there.

Goalie and defence are a different story.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This board sorely, sorely misses the “meh” emoji reaction. Miss it around here so much. This signing and this player is THE perfect spot for it. He’s certainly reasonable on the 4th line, and he’s also one of the sports most reasonably upgraded..

meh

What do you mean “ok for one year”? Actually asking.

The bare minimum expectation this year for Kevyn Adams’ squad remains playoffs, right?

Just checking 

I meant one year at a time for Z.

I was OK with letting him walk, but not upset he’s back.

They need to make the playoffs and see how guys perform. If Z is a playoff beast he may get another contract.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I look at last year’s forward group and see a lot of big forwards with good overall speed and compete and a ton of scoring ability.

I’d like to see more defensive awareness and physical strength, which they have tried to address with Greenway.

I see Tage, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts Okposo and Girgensons all properly slotted and good at their roles.

I see improvement needed from Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Greenway, Olofsson and Jost in theirs.

The 1st four are all certainly capable of growth. I think their growth would go a long way toward addressing the flaws of the corps. I want all of them on my team and in the starting lineup.

I would like to see Olofsson and Jost removed from the starting 12 in favour of a player or players who add more edge, responsibility and/or PK ability (plus hopefully the ability to take faceoffs) to the 3rd or 4th line.

In short, I’m OK with running most of last year’s forwards back because I think the forward corps is very nearly there.

Agreed

also it’s annoying that whether you type defense or defence you get a red error line on your phone. At least on my phone 

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I meant one year at a time for Z.

I was OK with letting him walk, but not upset he’s back.

They need to make the playoffs and see how guys perform. If Z is a playoff beast he may get another contract.

Once we make the playoffs I dunno if I’ll much feel like arguing about anything*, ever again. As far as I’m concerned that’s rest time after 10 years of this seemingly endless debating cycle. Game day threads or bust.

*obviously a lie 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Was saying earlier today that this signing likely meant they wouldn't be on the market for a 4C but as long as Olofsson ends up traded (and really don't see how he doesn't end up traded at this point), they very easily could still bring in a 4C.  (Though do not expect to see a 4C brought it from the outside now.)

Jost gets brought back as the pencilled in 13th F and Rousek has an opportunity to supplant him if he can break into the top 12.  (Savoie, Kulich, Murray, and Cedarqvist would all also have that same opportunity; but expect Rousek would have the best shot of getting there.)

Really curious if they go for just 1 NHL caliber D addition or 2.  If they only add 1, they might run 14-7-2 but it just make so much more sense to run 13-8-2.  Personally expect Clague would clear waivers like he did at the beginning of last year and can't see Bryson getting waiver claimed either.  But they might have concerns about Stillman getting through if he's the 8D, so if he is the 8 expect they will keep 8 up.  Personally believe they should keep 8 up anyhow as D have a greater likelihood of getting dinged in-game and also because it makes practice so much easier to run having 4 D pairs and only needing to rotate 1 F through the lines rather than 3-1/2 pairs and needing to rotate 2 guys through.

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Where did I say I hate the entire forward group?  All I said was that I was opposed to bringing back KO and Girgs…especially at a combined salary of 5mil.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. 👎🏻

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.