2023 trade speculation and rumors

Eleven

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They are not mutually exclusive. I want a d upgrade more as well but adding a forward like Lafferty won’t hurt. 

They're not going to sit Mitts or Victor for a guy like Lafferty and I doubt they sit Zemgus or Kyle for anybody.

Maybe they like him better than Jost, but I doubt it.

IMO, our two least effective forwards recently are Peterka, then Quinn

What's more valuable: what Lafferty contributes down the stretch, or what Quinn and Peterka learn down the stretch?

We've already got Asplund and Vinnie for injury coverage.

I think I'm only adding a forward if he's an upgrade on Mitts and/or Victor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

A late 3rd or early 4th for Schenn ?  That doesn't seem right.  If that's the price WTF is Adams waiting for ??

It has to be that pick ++ a prospect or two or something. eh?

Sabres don't have a 3rd this year.  Their 4th might not be enough yet for the Canucks, and Adams might be hesitant to give up a 2nd.

Schenn would check a lot of boxes for this team this season and even next if they want to extend him.

Between this upcoming draft and the previous two, the Sabres are slotted to have 12 selections between rounds 1 & 2, I'm really hoping that Adams uses a some of this collateral to improve the defense on this team to help them now, specifically the defense which I think is the lowest hanging fruit for him. 

Based upon listening to Adams speak I don't see him trading for a UFA rental, which I'm fine with although I'd hate to have this limit his options considering we do have capital to bring someone in.

Defense - Find someone to replace Clague or Byrson and bring in additional depth. A second round pick and a low-tier prospect should be able to land a solid defensive d-man and then maybe bring in another depth piece.

Offense - unless he swings for a huge deal to land a Meier type player, someone young and with term, I don't see any trades being made to the forwards. We're getting offense, it's the defensive side that needs an upgrade.

Goaltending - I can't see any scenario where goalies will be part of a trade for us (unless Portillo's rights are tossed into a trade). We already have 3 goalies on the roster - so you'd have to move at least one. UPL isn't going anywhere and, based upon GMKA's pressers, there's no way he'd trade the veteran Anderson unless he requested a trade, but what team is going to have a 41 year old be their backup? Trading Comrie makes no sense for Adam's plan either. I fully expect next season to be UPL / Comrie. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They are not giving up a two for Schenn.

Does it have to be their own pick?  Could they give up the dastardly Flyer or almost dastardly Vegas pick they got in trades?  With three 2nds might the Sabres consider it?

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

A late 3rd or early 4th for Schenn ?  That doesn't seem right.  If that's the price WTF is Adams waiting for ??

It has to be that pick ++ a prospect or two or something. eh?

Vancouver loves Schenn because he was a great partner for Quinn Hughes and allowed the kid to go be a forward playing defense. There are excenllent parts to his game, but he's much more the player he was in Philly or Tampa than he is with Hughes as his partner. (Remember, Tampa elected to keep Bogosian over Schenn.) He's a 3rd-pair rental making only $850k and he doesn't score points that don't go through Hughes, so he's not going to garner too much in draft capital.

All that said, he'd be a near-perfect fit for the Sabres for a playoff push as he'd do the dirty work and be able to work with Power, Dahlin, or even Bryson as the right-side guy. And if you needed a lockdown game-end pair whenever Dahlin isn't on ice, a Muel-Schenn pair might look pretty stout.

If Clague is hurt long-term, then you get a player like this right now and have him ready for the Florida trip.

A 3rd should be enough, but Vancouver could hold out until deadline day and a desperate contender shells out something higher.

Buffalo lacks the 3rd, so maybe a 4th + 6th gets it done for Buffalo. Alternately, if you needed, you could send the conditional middle of Buffalo's three 2nds (probably Buffalo's) now for Schenn + VAN 2023 3rd or some combination of other picks coming back. That extra 2nd gives Vancouver a ton of draft flexibility in their rebuild, while the Sabres drop to the top of the 3rd but only about 18-22 draft slots.

• Like (+1) 1

Schenn is Boosh. I'm not opposed to adding him, but I'm not sure why people think the team needs 2 of them.

I mean, he's probably better than Clague/Bryson, but if we're sacrificing a 2nd-rounder, it better be on something more than 20 games of a 3rd-pairing guy.

I assume people are thinking of something like:

• Samuelsson Dahlin
  • Power Schenn
  • Jokiharju Lyubushkin

Or, given handedness, and teaming a puck mover with stay-at-home:

• Dahlin Schenn
  • Power Lyubushkin
  • Samuelsson Jokiharju

I'm just not seeing him as a great fit 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks (+1) 2

Any warm body that keeps Bryson and Kale out of the lineup is worthy of consideration, IMO.

Luke may not bring a lot, but he is a warm body that would play before Bryson and that other guy.  He also brings a hard nosed style with a lot of playoff experience, including 2 cups.

I think I would do it for a 2nd since the Sabres have 3.

How many players on the Sabres active roster have any playoff experience ?  Off the top of my head ... Tuch and KO I think is it.

Depending how everything works out I think I would sign him for next season at a $1M.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Samuelsson Dahlin
  • Power Schenn
  • Jokiharju Lyubushkin

I'd tend toward this as the starting point. But I'd be much more concerned simply on reducing wear-and-tear. Starting Tuesday, the Sabres play 19 games in 35 days. That's rougher than the playoff schedule. It doesn't have to be Schenn, but anyone who can play 20 minutes/game and be a bit safer than Bryson/Clague is a valid addition. Someone who can take 2 minutes away from Dahlin when the Sabres are already up 3 goals to save him from forecheck hits to "send a message" for the NYI rematch... that's a valuable player.

Their only true shot-blockers are Muel and Boushh... Schenn provides insurance for them if someone needs a game off after a nasty block.

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

How many players on the Sabres active roster have any playoff experience ?  Off the top of my head ... Tuch and KO I think is it.

Anderson and Jost for sure.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres still in on Meier 

Find the deal where you don’t give up Savoie or Kulich 

Prospect just has to be better  than what NJ is offering 

Sabres 1sr rounder is more valuable than the Devils 

not sure who the Devils are willing to give up but it wouldn’t be Hughes 

————

from hockey news 

And Grier can get that from the Devils. They’ve got one of the NHL’s deepest pools of prospects, and it wouldn’t be unreasonable for San Jose to ask for two of their top 10 prospects. For instance, 21-year-old forward Alexander Holtz and NCAA defenseman Seamus Casey, as well as New Jersey’s first-round pick this season or in 2024

Edited by Crusader1969

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Sabres still in on Meier 

Find the deal where you don’t give up Savoie or Kulich 

Prospect just has to be better  than what NJ is offering 

Sabres 1sr rounder is more valuable than the Devils 

not sure who the Devils are willing to give up but it wouldn’t be Hughes 

Is this just you messing with us ?

Do you have a sourse for this ?

Not questioning you per se, but this seems a bit like a fan tossing out his opinion, which is fine, but it may be a bit far fetched to say *Sabres still in on so and so* without some backup to it.

1. H
    4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Is this just you messing with us ?

Do you have a sourse for this ?

Not questioning you per se, but this seems a bit like a fan tossing out his opinion, which is fine, but it may be a bit far fetched to say *Sabres still in on so and so* without some backup to it.

It’s from the 4th period website   How much truth there is, I’m not sure 

• Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:
  1. H

Fourth Period is a fan rumour website.  It is as trustworthy as the Trade Rumours page on HFBoards.

39 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Fourth Period is a fan rumour website.  It is as trustworthy as the Trade Rumours page on HFBoards.

David Pagnotta who is part of the Fourth Period has excellent sources with the Kings and Toronto, other then those I would take with anything a grain of salt. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Schenn is Boosh. I'm not opposed to adding him, but I'm not sure why people think the team needs 2 of them.

I mean, he's probably better than Clague/Bryson, but if we're sacrificing a 2nd-rounder, it better be on something more than 20 games of a 3rd-pairing guy.

• Samuelsson Dahlin
  • Power Schenn
  • Jokiharju Lyubushkin

Or, given handedness, and teaming a puck mover with stay-at-home:

• Dahlin Schenn
  • Power Lyubushkin
  • Samuelsson Jokiharju

I'm just not seeing him as a great fit 🤷‍♂️

I would 100% replace Lybushkin with Schenn, I'm not sure why people compare the 2 other than both are defensive defensemen.

Hits- Luke Schenn - 258 (Leads the league)

Hits- Ilya Lybushkin- 65 

Blocked Shots- Luke Schenn- 81

Blocked Shots- Ilya Lybushkin- 53

Points- Luke Schenn- 3 goals, 18 assists, 21 points, +9 

Points- Ilya Lybushkin- 0 goals, 8 assists, 8 points, -2 

He is only signed for 750K, give him a slight bump in pay if he works out for us but teams like TB and Boston pick these types of guys up for a Stanley Cup run imo.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Any warm body that keeps Bryson and Kale out of the lineup is worthy of consideration, IMO.

Luke may not bring a lot, but he is a warm body that would play before Bryson and that other guy.  He also brings a hard nosed style with a lot of playoff experience, including 2 cups.

I think I would do it for a 2nd since the Sabres have 3.

Depending how everything works out I think I would sign him for next season at a $1M.

With all due respect, this is the thinking that Murray used to waste a lot of assets.

If he isn't worth a 2, don't offer it.  MHO YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

No it is not.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:
  1. H

Here's the link- https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-2023/meier-trade-talks-picking-up-steam

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, Contempt said:

That's all well and good until the GM has to make a tough decision and send out a popular player. Adams hasn't really had to do that yet. We will see what happens when he does.

Eichel may or may not have been popular, but trading him was absolutely a difficult decision for any GM.  And I'd guess that Reino, Risto and Montour were reasonably well liked.

16 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Rosen and a 3rd for Connor Murphy.  This is something that makes sense for the Sabres, signed for one more year, we give up a tradeable asset in Rosen and a middle pick for an upgrade on this defense core. 

Respectfully, I think there is zero possibility that they trade Rosen for this little value.  At this point they would only trade him in a package for a guy like Meier or other star.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.