GDT: Penguins @ Sabres, Friday, 12/9/22, 7pm MSG

steveoath

Just now, Taro T said:

He splits the 3rd pairing up quite often after the 1st period of close games.

The 2nd line seems to spend quite a bit of time with the 3rd pairing when it's together (pretty much when the 2nd line aren't out against the other team's top line) and the 3rd line seems to get the bulk of that other 1/3 of the 3rd paoring's time on the ice.  But since becoming the 3rd line, it seems whenever they get caught out w/ the Bryson bunch that bad things happen.  It was good to keep the 3's away from each other.  That should stay the plan until the Mitts line has demonstrated they have confidence back.  MHO.

I was thinking about what DG will do when Bush comes back.  I know he is a student of the game and back in the day, the Sabres really only played 5 D each night.  They would dress 6 but really only play 5.  I wonder if DG might consider this option.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was thinking about what DG will do when Bush comes back.  I know he is a student of the game and back in the day, the Sabres really only played 5 D each night.  They would dress 6 but really only play 5.  I wonder if DG might consider this option.

Fully expect that the 6th D-man will be getting 8-12 minutes per night if the other 5 are healthy.  Doubt Bryson'd get the Rory 4 minutes/night routine.  Not w/ a 2 year deal in a year where 'they're looking for serious winning down the road even if it costs them a few games in the ST.'  (Obviously not an exact quote, but that was the jist of it.)

But those 8-12 minutes will be almost exclusively 5v5 and with the Cozens & Okposo lines.  He'll get a smidge of PK, but not often w/out a D-man in the box.

Very good effort in one of the first real hockey games I've seen them play this year, and by "real" I mean a game against a good team that takes away what you like to do and gets in your way and makes you overcome that rather than just two teams letting each other do their own thing (as we've seen lately from Columbus etc.). It was simply real hockey and very competitive. Could have gone either way except..........

Skinner is a f'n idiot. You want to be a tough guy go ahead, hit him, drop your gloves, go to it, but cross check to the head??? A suspension is deserved to say the least. Idiotic. 

Otherwise an encouraging game though. Highly entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Stop. Pittsburgh got lucky and we didn't. It wasn't this veteran team bs. We hit the outside of 3 posts, they hit the inside of 1. It was a good solid game and Skinner screwed up. 

When we start beating the veteran teams, the perennial playoff teams, any playoff teams, then I'll stop.  I don't think luck had anything to do with it.  The Sabres played 2 good periods, just not enough.  They were outplayed in the 3rd period.  Outshot 17-7 in the 3rd, despite have 3 consecutive power plays.  They lost a 3rd period lead at home.  Then they took a stupid penalty which all but guaranteed a loss.  

It may have been a good solid game, but the results are not there yet.  Tomorrow is an even bigger game now.  They have to play 3 periods tomorrow.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

All I can say about this (and I know I'm late to the party):  Skinner cost the team the opportunity for two points.  He owes the team, SabreSpace, all of Buffalo, and probably the entire Metro Division (which suffered from the Pens' win) an apology.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yep.  He was arguably the best Sabres forward tonight and he needs to play with this kind of drive, energy and physicality every night.

Now this, this I would argue. But I'm not gonna bother too and I don't think we see the same thing from Mitts tonight. 

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

When we start beating the veteran teams, the perennial playoff teams, any playoff teams, then I'll stop.  I don't think luck had anything to do with it.  The Sabres played 2 good periods, just not enough.  They were outplayed in the 3rd period.  Outshot 17-7 in the 3rd, despite have 3 consecutive power plays.  They lost a 3rd period lead at home.  Then they took a stupid penalty which all but guaranteed a loss.  

It may have been a good solid game, but the results are not there yet.  Tomorrow is an even bigger game now.  They have to play 3 periods tomorrow.  

Ok, I don't agree. 

And "play 3 periods" is a cliche. Pittsburgh the veterans didn't play 3 periods. 

I didn't like Skinner cross-checking Guentzel in the mouth but...I like Skinner the player. Sure he's never made the playoffs in his career but the guy has skills and apparently, a temper. I liked that he stood up for his goalie. Haven't seen the Sabres stick up for their goalie too often and hopefully this changes everything. Buffalo is no longer the doormat of the NHL.

As I saw it, earlier in the play, Guentzel discreetly pitchforked Anderson after he froze the puck. Then Skinner went after Guentzel and was chirping the Penguin and then Guentzel chopped at his leg, which set off the melee. Then Skinner chopped back at Guentzel's leg and then went after his his body then his head. Guentzel started it, Skinner finished it. 

Buffalo lost the game and Skinner might miss a couple but maybe the message is out that you don't mess with the Buffalo Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So far this year, I think the top 12 teams are, in some order, Boston, Toronto, Jersey, Colorado, Tampa, Vegas, Florida, Carolina, Pitt, Dallas, Edmonton, Winnipeg. The Sabres are 2W and 10L against that set of teams.   I know most teams will have a bad record vs the top of the schedule, but they really REALLY need to start getting a few more wins vs some of the better teams. 2-10 isn't close to good enough.  Its fun and great to beat up on San Jose and an injury riddled Columbus team...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I missed most of the game last night, just rewatched the highlights of the Sabres goals and goals against.  Some thoughts on what they allowed:

-1st Pitt goal.  The PK seemed to be chasing a bit, they really didn't maintain the 4 man box, when their rotation got all out of sorts, that is When Pitt found the opening.  No one really screwed up too bad, but they didn't maintain any kind of discipline on the PK there.

-2nd Pitt goal: A loose puck that didn't get cleared. No major mistakes again, but you would like to see Power clear that.  Tuch then swipes at it and misses it.  I want a good save there also I didn't get. Again, no major breakdown, but a bit more luck/effort/skill from Power, Tuch, or Anderson probably prevents that one (again, none of them made a major mistake, give Pitt some credit for putting on good pressure)

-3rd Pitt goal:  I need a save there from my goalie. The shooter scores from a terrible angle, probably 35 feet out, and isn't screened.  100% on the goalie there.

-OT Pitt Winner:  4 on 3 in OT, you are going to give up chances like that.  Problem there was simply taking a penalty going in OT.

I didn't see the whole game, had no sense of the game flow, just watched some highlights. As far as the D-zone goes, none of the goals allowed were a cause of major giveaways right before the shooter scored.  I don't know if Anderson played a better game the rest of the time I didn't see it, but 1, probably 2 goals that were scored should have been saves.

I did note some really crazy ice time stats.  Bryson with about 8 minutes ice time, Fitz with 6:48.  I guess you really, REALLY don't trust those guys if you push your top 4 so hard knowing you have to travel for a back-to-back the next night. Top 4 ALL with 24-26 minutes.  all 4 of them.  Krebs was the only forward back below 10 minutes.  

Thompson with 23 minutes. For a forward, I would like to see a little less...and I see he led the team in Penalty killing time.  I know you want a more rounded game from him and maybe he is becoming a better Penalty killer, but I would think you could find one of your 'effort' guys out there to replace those minutes for Thompson penalty killing....give him that time to rest, so he is more rested in all other situations.  Last night Cozens only had about about 16 minutes ice time (almost 7 minutes less than Tage) but also had only half the PK time. Mitts with no PK time, and he has turned at least into a decent Penalty killer. I'd like to see Thompsons minutes PK (at least some of them) more go to those guys to spread out the ice time.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 2

I missed this one but was following the summary online.

It seems like they should have buried them early, I saw the shots were like 12-2 in the first. I guess Jarry held his team in it until they got their feet moving.

Let’s get them tonight, win in regulation in their barn. I think the Sabres need to find their offense for UPL.

10 hours ago, Believer said:

DG doesn’t know how to win at the NHL level… He is learning along with the team

I strenuously disagree with this view. What DG is attempting to do is mask his deficiencies. Without question our lower defensive pairings are weak links. To compensate our top two pairings are getting a lot of minutes that will in time deplete them. (@GASabresIUFANand @Taro Thave pointed this out in a couple of their astute posts.) Our coaching staff knows what our team strengths are, and what are our vulnerabilities. And so does the opposition. Against good teams it catches up to you. The mistake that was made by the front office was that it didn't satisfactorily address the lower blue line deficiencies. It is catching up with us. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Now this, this I would argue. But I'm not gonna bother too and I don't think we see the same thing from Mitts tonight. 

Ok, I don't agree. 

And "play 3 periods" is a cliche. Pittsburgh the veterans didn't play 3 periods. 

I catch myself saying bold part sometimes about the sabres. But you are absolutely right most games never see a team play 3 complete periods. We played only two and the pens only played one and ended up winning the game. As doohickie said we would have won the game if we had scored a couple of goals in the first. Had a little bit of bad puck luck. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Ok, I don't agree. 

And yet they won.  Lots of cliches in sports, I guess you think it was luck.  I don't think luck stopped our 3 consecutive PPs in the 3rd.  

We will have to disagree then. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No way! VO should get moved up 

Agree.  VO has shown he can put away chances on that line.  Krebs is playing SLIGHTLY better than before, but still might be the worst forward on this team (overall gameplay, all 3 zones) and the coaching staff must think so as he is getting the lowest ice time again.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.