GDT: Penguins @ Sabres, Friday, 12/9/22, 7pm MSG

steveoath

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Stuck his leg out like a ***** 

Yep. Just watched it again. He tripped him.

That’s only one of two problems with my post. We didn’t tie it up on that power play, anyway. It was on the Malkin hook that we tied it.

I still say that the refs had nothing to do with this loss.

Edited by SwampD

3 hours ago, Quint said:

I didn't like Skinner cross-checking Guentzel in the mouth but...I like Skinner the player. Sure he's never made the playoffs in his career but the guy has skills and apparently, a temper. I liked that he stood up for his goalie. Haven't seen the Sabres stick up for their goalie too often and hopefully this changes everything. Buffalo is no longer the doormat of the NHL.

As I saw it, earlier in the play, Guentzel discreetly pitchforked Anderson after he froze the puck. Then Skinner went after Guentzel and was chirping the Penguin and then Guentzel chopped at his leg, which set off the melee. Then Skinner chopped back at Guentzel's leg and then went after his his body then his head. Guentzel started it, Skinner finished it. 

Buffalo lost the game and Skinner might miss a couple but maybe the message is out that you don't mess with the Buffalo Sabres. 

This is pretty much what happened.  

No call on Guentzel for the late slash on the goalie.  If the ref raises his arm for that then everything else would have been different. But he didn't.   

Guentzel also threw the first slash in the incident with Skinner.  This is why dropping the sticks and gloves and fighting was a better alternative (in the olden days) to what eventually transpired.  Instead, you have two guys slashing away, which is more dangerous than these two dropping their gloves, and off course it escalated to a dangerous cross check to the face.  

In true WWF fashion the instigator of both incidents gets a token two minutes and the instigator's team wins the game because of it.   The 5-minute match penalty decided the OT outcome.  

Round 2 is tonight.  Guentzel will play with a stitched-up mouth.  Skinner will sit.  The Sabres will try to win on the road with UPL in the net.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I went to a Christmas concert; I missed it too.  Just finished watching it on replay.  The Sabres lost that game in the first 10 minutes- with all the chances they had they needed to capitalize on at least one or two.

The first period felt like we used up all our goals in Columbus, but good teams don't lose games in the first period.  They settle down, they adjust, and they keep at it - which the Sabres did in the 2nd period.   They were looking good after two.   It was the 3rd period that decided the outcome.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No call on Guentzel for the late slash on the goalie.  If the ref raises his arm for that then everything else would have been different. But he didn't.   

Guentzel also threw the first slash in the incident with Skinner.  This is why dropping the sticks and gloves and fighting was a better alternative (in the olden days) to what eventually transpired.  Instead, you have two guys slashing away, which is more dangerous than these two dropping their gloves, and off course it escalated to a dangerous cross check to the face.  

In true WWF fashion the instigator of both incidents gets a token two minutes and the instigator's team wins the game because of it.   The 5-minute match penalty decided the OT outcome.  

Round 2 is tonight.  Guentzel will play with a stitched-up mouth.  Skinner will sit.  The Sabres will try to win on the road with UPL in the net.  

I have been touting Skinner's contributions for quite a while. So my bias is toward him and not against him. But it was Skinner who failed his team. You are right in pointing out that it was Guentzel who slashed Skinner first. And it was Skinner who responded by aggressively slashing him back. (Good for him!) But considering the situation he needed to regain his composure. He lost it and crossed checked him in the neck and head area. It was clear-cut that he crossed the line not only at this critical juncture in the game but also very likely will result in the league disciplining him with a game suspension. Skinner hurt and failed the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have been touting Skinner's contributions for quite a while. So my bias is toward him and not against him. But it was Skinner who failed his team. You are right in pointing out that it was Guentzel who slashed Skinner first. And it was Skinner who responded by aggressively slashing him back. (Good for him!) But considering the situation he needed to regain his composure. He lost it and crossed checked him in the neck and head area. It was clear-cut that he crossed the line not only at this critical juncture in the game but also very likely will result in the league disciplining him with a game suspension. Skinner hurt and failed the team. 

Yes.  Skinner escalated it and blew it.  Guentzel succeeded in his instigator role.   He then picked up his chicklets and went in for repairs.  

You can look at it this way.  We lost a point.  We blew a winnable game against a quality opponent.  We got sucked in and did stupid - but we stood up for our goalie, something we have not been known to do.  

Tonight's response and performance will tell us a lot.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is a general observation about this game. The arena was close to being filled and the fans were into the game. The hockey was played at a high level and the intensity was close to (not quite) playoff level. The team is regaining credibility with a hockey market that was battered and abused. The Sabres are entertaining  and they are capable of competing with the elite teams in this league. Considering what has transpired over the past decade or so ,what is happening now is uplifting to what once was downtrodden. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  Skinner escalated it and blew it.  Guentzel succeeded in his instigator role.   He then picked up his chicklets and went in for repairs.  

You can look at it this way.  We lost a point.  We blew a winnable game against a quality opponent.  We got sucked in and did stupid - but we stood up for our goalie, something we have not been known to do.  

Tonight's response and performance will tell us a lot.  

There is a smart way to stand up for your goalie and a self-defeating way to do it. There are no assurances that we would have won if this incident played out differently. But that's what's disappointing about Skinner losing control. We lost the opportunity to find out on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a general observation about this game. The arena was close to being filled and the fans were into the game. The hockey was played at a high level and the intensity was close to (not quite) playoff level. The team is regaining credibility with a hockey market that was battered and abused. The Sabres are entertaining  and they are capable of competing with the elite teams in this league. Considering what has transpired over the past decade or so ,what is happening now is uplifting to what once was downtrodden. 

I liked the crowd and the energy.  There were a lot of Pittsburgh fans there too.  Listen to the cheers after the OT goal.  I would like to see the days when Sabres tickets are scarce again.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I liked the crowd and the energy.  There were a lot of Pittsburgh fans there too.  Listen to the cheers after the OT goal.  I would like to see the days when Sabres tickets are scarce again.  

I thought that the mixture of fans of both teams created a great atmosphere. It created a unique dynamic of the partisans going back and forth. The Buffalo market is a unique market in that it is close to Canada but also Pennsylvania. There is much more to tap into. The best marketing tool is to put out not only a good but also an entertaining team. That's happening now. This franchise is striding forward. The front office needs to be a little more aggressive in searching for accelerants to make the fire hotter. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought that the mixture of fans of both teams created a great atmosphere. It created a unique dynamic of the partisans going back and forth. The Buffalo market is a unique market in that it is close to Canada but also Pennsylvania. There is much more to tap into. The best marketing tool is to put out not only a good but also an entertaining team. That's happening now. This franchise is striding forward. The front office needs to be a little more aggressive in searching for accelerants to make the fire hotter. 

Don't forget the NY teams.  When they come here the place is loaded with college kids cheering for Bruins or Rangers or Islanders. 

You are very positive on the team.  When I am in Buffalo, which is often, I still don't get that many positive vibes on the Sabres.  I go to games and people laugh at me about it.  It is pretty much Bills, Bills, and more Bills.   

Change has been slow.  Accelerants would help.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’d cross check him in the face again tonight.  Right across the stitches.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I went to a Christmas concert; I missed it too.  Just finished watching it on replay.  The Sabres lost that game in the first 10 minutes- with all the chances they had they needed to capitalize on at least one or two.

My son is a member of they Plano (TX) Civic Chorus.  We drove the hour over to Plano to attend their Christmas concert which is why I missed the game Friday.  If anyone cares, here are a couple clips:

Still, Still, Still

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

And after the concert, here's a pic of us:  L to R:  My son's wife, me, my wife, and my son who sang in the concert.

image.thumb.png.cd7f82726df745e2eaf1690710b019bb.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.