GDT:Sabres at Seattle 10/25/22 10pm, MSG, Root WGR550

Brawndo

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm curious as to whether Krebsie will get back in.  I didn't see much from Quinn vs the Canucks, other than missing an open net from the doorstep. 

(I'm not really worried about Quinn over the long term -- I just think that it will take him a little while to get up to NHL speed.  In the meantime though I think Krebs has played better than Quinn has, although neither of them has set the NHL on fire.)

JJP has played better than both of them, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sabres are actually getting a goal and a half. (6.5 goals O/U) Sabres are due for a let down but this is a game they should win.

There it is. We’re due for a loss because we’re not gonna go 81–1. 

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'd guess that DG has been reminding the team early and often that they lost both games to Seattle last year, and that if they want to make the playoffs, this is the kind of game they need to show up intense and determined for.

Not only lost, got smoked both games by 3 goals.

I think Buffalo lights the lamp a lot this game. Both Grubauer and Jones have been pulled from games--and Seattle has only played 7. I'm just hoping we don't get overconfident in our goaltending and we remember that we're short two defensemen. We need players like Mitts to continue his solid defensive play we saw against Vancouver.

I'm less worried if Buffalo drops this game than if we drop any of the subsequent three. My only fear is if we drop this game the momentum carries through when we need positive momentum heading home.

We play Montreal on Thursday, Chicago on Saturday, and Detroit next Monday. Those are three games we should win. Chicago is not very good and if the Sabres play their game that should be a win. That can be said for Montreal as well with the added concern that they're a division opponent. Obviously, Detroit is a division opponent as well, but that game is important because they're considered by many to be ahead of us in the rebuild process and, if this team has any hope of landing a wild card spot, they can't afford to be dropping points against other resurgent teams. 

After that we play Pittsburgh, Carolina and Tampa. I don't see us going 3-0 against those teams. We need to stack wins now.

44 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I think Buffalo lights the lamp a lot this game. Both Grubauer and Jones have been pulled from games--and Seattle has only played 7. I'm just hoping we don't get overconfident in our goaltending and we remember that we're short two defensemen. We need players like Mitts to continue his solid defensive play we saw against Vancouver.

I'm less worried if Buffalo drops this game than if we drop any of the subsequent three. My only fear is if we drop this game the momentum carries through when we need positive momentum heading home.

We play Montreal on Thursday, Chicago on Saturday, and Detroit next Monday. Those are three games we should win. Chicago is not very good and if the Sabres play their game that should be a win. That can be said for Montreal as well with the added concern that they're a division opponent. Obviously, Detroit is a division opponent as well, but that game is important because they're considered by many to be ahead of us in the rebuild process and, if this team has any hope of landing a wild card spot, they can't afford to be dropping points against other resurgent teams. 

After that we play Pittsburgh, Carolina and Tampa. I don't see us going 3-0 against those teams. We need to stack wins now.

idk if I think this team "should win" games yet. They still have a lot to prove, especially as slower starting teams settle in. 

59 minutes ago, SDS said:

There it is. We’re due for a loss because we’re not gonna go 81–1. 

I’m curious to get Boomer Gordon’s take when he gets on his radio show in a few hours on NHL Network on SiriusXM Radio. He’s not the easiest guy to listen to because of his rather dull voice (WADR), but he’s incredibly reliable with his prowess of hockey knowledge.

Last game on a long trip, always a tough one. Pulling out a dub would be excellent. Although I feel we don't really know what this team is until they play back in the Eastern Conference given the way the East has beaten up on the West so far.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

idk if I think this team "should win" games yet. They still have a lot to prove, especially as slower starting teams settle in. 

I’m a bit worried about this one but more worried about Thurs night vs MTL, home off a long western road trip 

think they will pull this one out but then have tired legs vs the Cdns

Great road trip no matter tonight’s outcome 

as for who sits, I think it will be Krebs again

would like to see, assuming everyone healthy, a rotation that includes Okoposo and Girgs getting a night in the press box here and there (load management) 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Fundamentally we agree but I phrased it poorly. I think Buffalo "should win" in the context of proving preseason expectations and not "should win" in the context that we're the President's trophy winning team playing a bottom feeder. The pre-season expectation for this team was that they're better than Montreal and Chicago and as good or slightly behind Detroit. 

If I meant the context of "should win" because they're the better team based on the small sample size of 1/16th of the season, I'd have said we "should" win against Tampa because Tampa is off to a slow start. I do not believe for a minute Buffalo is a better team than Tampa. If that makes sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.