Kevyn Adams Updates Samuelsson and Jokiharju’s Injury Timelines

Brawndo

Reporter: Is the news on Samuelsson positive?

Granato:  "you know when you see him go down, and have a tough time getting up, yes positive.  So, we won't know more obviously until tomorrow but I was holding my breath like everyone else.  And you're wondering what type of news you're going to get so, I am much much happier after hearing that."

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Without an MRI, I'm not so sure. An xray and physical exam can only tell so much and I think that's all that's available at the arena. Fingers crossed it's just a mild sprain. 

They should be able to tell if the ACL is obviously intact tho via examination. It's typically when they aren't sure when the MRI is needed to help them see.

Great news...that looked really bad

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, irregularly irregular said:

They can usually get a solid idea of what's up with manipulation/testing and drawing a little synovial fluid from the joint, but as Woody indicated there is nothing definitive until the Radiologist has become involved. 

Yep, synovial fluid will basically be blood with an ACL tear. But, this isn’t diagnostic in any way, so don’t think they would run the risk of possibly introducing an infectious agent. Synovial fluid would be collected in the confusing cases. Kid comes in with fever and big swollen knee, since being hit in a football game a week ago. Could be trauma. Could be a septic knee. Need imaging to make this. 

Edited by kas23
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm reminded of a similar injury to Skinner some years ago.  He looked to be done for the season but was back the next game.

That said, I think Muel may need some time off; all injuries are different.

He was back, but he wasn't the same the rest of that year and debatably the injury was still bugging him the next year (or he might've retweaked it at the end of October) and it set up his long slide into the doghouse. 

10 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The wording on the thread title is terrible.

Maybe it's just me, but everytime I drive by it just makes no sense and I have to sit here and read it a few times to make sure it's not terrible news.

Tell me about it! The reality is there has been no real news yet. I've probably clicked in here 3 or 4 times now thinking there was a diagnosis and a quick timeline on return.

Knee sprains are 4-6 weeks, which the Sabres can survive without a trade if they keep playing at the level they are (or even better, if Skinner and Thompson start scoring). Muel is so good at protecting the net though, I figure the goalies will suffer a touch on rebounds and such while he's out.

Again, we must hope that all the news on the Muel continues to be positive.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

They can usually get a solid idea of what's up with manipulation/testing and drawing a little synovial fluid from the joint, but as Woody indicated there is nothing definitive until the Radiologist has become involved. 

Correction orthopedist reading the xray and mri, dont trust half the radiologist ive worked with...

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Knee sprains are 4-6 weeks, which the Sabres can survive without a trade if they keep playing at the level they are (or even better, if Skinner and Thompson start scoring). Muel is so good at protecting the net though, I figure the goalies will suffer a touch on rebounds and such while he's out.

Again, we must hope that all the news on the Muel continues to be positive.

Yeh but much better than a tear...

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Correction orthopedist reading.....

Radiologist as in the guys that the Sabres medical staff works with and trusts. Not Nighthawk. For those of you not working in medicine, Nighthawk is the overnight Radiologist service provided by a bunch of guys and gals in India and Pakistan. Their abilities are suspect and their diagnosis is often overturned the next morning. Technology is great, except when it isn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, irregularly irregular said:

Radiologist as in the guys that the Sabres medical staff works with and trusts. Not Nighthawk. For those of you not working in medicine, Nighthawk is the overnight Radiologist service provided by a bunch of guys and gals in India and Pakistan. Their abilities are suspect and their diagnosis is often overturned the next morning. Technology is great, except when it isn't.

Yeh agreed there are other versions and too suck... but only a rad that specializes in ortho... The ER rads are suspect too.

• nfreeman changed the title to Samuelsson Injury Vigil

It looked like it might be an MCL strain.  I did that in both my knees at the same time in a game.  Got collapsed on in front of the net and my skates basically went out sideways and my knees went to the ice.  I couldn't stand up on my own.  Once I was up I was okay in a straight line.

Took about 6 weeks before I could really test the knees.  I could walk, but man if I tried to twist in any way I knew it immediately.

I'm hoping this is the "good news" they are looking at.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.