NHL PLAYOFFS: THE SEMIFINALS!

Eleven

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually, in what is actually a pretty smart move, well shockingly smart actually, as this is the NHL, and they rarely, if ever, make good tweaks to rules / rules interpretations, the league has started to consider a player to not be in control of the puck when crossing the blue line until his stick actually makes contact with the puck inside the offensive zone which gives players that appear to be offside an extra fraction of a second to get back onside.  

It's a smart move because it cuts down on how many apparent goals end up getting called off.

And, really wasn't sure how Koharski would keep his streak intact because on 1st glance, it did look like the play was offside.  But leave it to that putz to not understand how the league is interpreting the rules.  He didn't know how to interpret them when he was getting paid by the league.  It's silly to expect he'd know how to interpret them now that TNT is paying him.

PS - Did we get to a new record for use of the word "actually" in a single sentence?  😉

Something about a donut... 

• Haha (+1) 1

I honestly thought the Tampa/Florida matchup would be the biggest test for the Cup. Florida isn't built for a deep run.

Toronto showed better goal tending and defense than any of the western teams so far. 

I think the best series in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs will wind up being the Tampa/ Toronto first round. There may be ones that are more fun to watch, but the two best teams may have already played each other.

45 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I honestly thought the Tampa/Florida matchup would be the biggest test for the Cup. Florida isn't built for a deep run.

Toronto showed better goal tending and defense than any of the western teams so far. 

I think the best series in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs will wind up being the Tampa/ Toronto first round. There may be ones that are more fun to watch, but the two best teams may have already played each other.

I respectfully disagree about Toronto. On paper they look (mostly) incredible… but in Reality … Toronto runs in the same thing they have for a few years. Inconsistency .

Inconsistent goaltending in big games. Defense is inconsistent. Lack of depth scoring. Inconsistent coaching or the inability to change things up quick enough to combat what the other team has changed. Sometimes their big-name players completely disappear or fold in the playoffs. Just the way I see it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 3

Avs and Oilers is gonna be such a fun series to watch if you like offensive hockey and lots of scoring. Game 1 certainly didn't disappoint with 13 goals prior to the empty netter.

Kinda reminded me of the Sabres-Senators game 1 where we won in OT on Drury's goal.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Actually, it seems to recall the Eulers - Hawks from the late '80's.

Unfortunately for the Eulers, in this one they're the Hawks.

The big question becomes can the Avs tighten things down in the next round.  If they can, they'll have a huge advantage in having played firewagon hockey this round which doesn't take nearly as much out of one as playing actual playoff-style hockey will.  Don't know that it'll be enough of an advantage to win it all, but it surely won't hurt.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

they'll have a huge advantage in having played firewagon hockey this round which doesn't take nearly as much out of one as playing actual playoff-style hockey will. 

in the most literal sense, those 2 teams last night were playing a style of playoff hockey, since they were playing the first game of their conference finals. perhaps more seriously: query whether there's a change a(dam)foot(e) with regard to what qualifies as "actual playoff-style hockey."

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

in the most literal sense, those 2 teams last night were playing a style of playoff hockey, since they were playing the first game of their conference finals. perhaps more seriously: query whether there's a change a(dam)foot(e) with regard to what qualifies as "actual playoff-style hockey."

People that only casually watched thought "playoff hockey" was changing in the 80's.  It was, sort of, in the Campbell Conference because except for Calgary everybody tried to beat Edmonton at their own game which was a ludicrously bad strategy.  Nobody could out-Edmonton the Eulers.  Edmonton came through unscathed 6 times.  The 1st time through, they thought they could keep playing their freewheeling style & got crushed by the Aisles.  

They actually played playoff hockey in the Finals after that.  And being fresher & younger, not having had to go through the wars taking place in the Wales, let them win all 5 of those, 4 of them in dominating fashion.

Winning playoff hockey doesn't change: take care of your own end, get great goaltending, & stay out of the penalty box.  That teams think they can get away from that and still win against a determined opponent willing to do all that is kind of funny.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Winning playoff hockey doesn't change: take care of your own end, get great goaltending, & stay out of the penalty box.

I don’t think anyone here uses that definition when that phrase is mentioned.

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t think anyone here uses that definition when that phrase is mentioned.

I think of spearing, face licking, face washes, nailing dudes in the junk, excessive cross-checking not getting called, predatory hits getting celebrated rather than penalized, guys running goalies blaming it on anything but themselves; I think that about sums it up.  

13 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I respectfully disagree about Toronto. On paper they look (mostly) incredible… but in Reality … Toronto runs in the same thing they have for a few years. Inconsistency .

Inconsistent goaltending in big games. Defense is inconsistent. Lack of depth scoring. Inconsistent coaching or the inability to change things up quick enough to combat what the other team has changed. Sometimes their big-name players completely disappear or fold in the playoffs. Just the way I see it.

And the Sabres just T-rolled them last year

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

I think of spearing, face licking, face washes, nailing dudes in the junk, excessive cross-checking not getting called, predatory hits getting celebrated rather than penalized, guys running goalies blaming it on anything but themselves; I think that about sums it up.  

I would say this is closer than the previous definition. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

That's called "letting them play"

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Winning playoff hockey doesn't change: take care of your own end, get great goaltending, & stay out of the penalty box.  That teams think they can get away from that and still win against a determined opponent willing to do all that is kind of funny.

Probably right.

But maybe ...?

We'll see what happens in the finals -- good test case.

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

That's called "letting them play"

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if the Sabres were EVER on the right side of those shenanigans (yeah I know they haven’t made the playoffs since before I was married) but regardless they are almost always on the receiving end of that crap.  Just give me 2-3 players that enjoy hurting and humiliating the other team. 

2022 NHL playoff schedule: Eastern Conference Final

NEW YORK RANGERS v. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Game 1 – June 1: Lightning at Rangers, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2 – June 3: Lightning at Rangers, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3 – June 5: Rangers at Lightning, 3 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4 – June 7: Rangers at Lightning, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 5 – June 9: Lightning at Rangers, 8 p.m. ET, (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 6 – June 11: Rangers at Lightning, 8 p.m. ET, (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 7 – June 14: Lightning at Rangers, 8 p.m. ET, (ESPN, SN, CBC, TVAS)

2022 NHL playoff schedule: Western Conference Final

EDMONTON OILERS v. COLORADO AVALANCHE (COL leads 1-0)
Game 1: Avalanche 8, Oilers 6
Game 2 – June 2: Oilers at Avalanche, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3 – June 4: Avalanche at Oilers, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4 – June 6: Avalanche at Oilers, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 5 – June 8: Oilers at Avalanche, TBD (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 6 – June 10: Avalanche at Oilers, TBD (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 7 – June 12: Oilers at Avalanche, TBD (TNT, SN, CBC, TVAS)

• Thanks (+1) 2

I have to say i have always hated the Rags. Since the pre cap days when they were always trying to buy their way to the cup, was always laughing when they fell flat on their face during the playoffs. I have to say though, they finally got it right by drafting and developing and smattering in a few vets. They could easily go all the way, especially since their goalie is actually playing better then the rest of who is left. This is is going to be Rags and Avs with the Avs winning in 6. Avs have always been my second fave team and root for them during the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.