NHL PLAYOFFS: THE SEMIFINALS!

Eleven

These series were never the ECF and WCF until that idiot Bettman went all NBA and renamed the conferences to East and West.

We had the Preliminary Round then the Quarter-Finals then the Semi-Finals and then the Finals (yes with the s).  We had the Campbell Conference and the Prince of Wales Conference, but only after expansion.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

These series were never the ECF and WCF until that idiot Bettman went all NBA and renamed the conferences to East and West.

We had the Preliminary Round then the Quarter-Finals then the Semi-Finals and then the Finals (yes with the s).  We had the Campbell Conference and the Prince of Wales Conference, but only after expansion.

East and West makes more sense than Campbell and Prince of Wales.  Bettman works for the owners and they want successful American expansion and more $$$$.  In the USA, Campbells is soup from a can. Prince is a dead pop singer/guitarist. 

On 5/31/2022 at 9:27 PM, SDS said:

Offside. Singular. There is one onside and one offside. There are no multiple offsides. 👍

So he was offsides correct?

On 5/31/2022 at 10:05 PM, LGR4GM said:

Avs are going to rain goals down upon Edmonton and McDavid isn't enough to counter it. Avs have too much skill, speed, and puck movement. 

Edmonton has the fire power to match but Mike Smith is absolutely terrible. 

Pretty surprised by the Rangers up 2-0. Not surprised at all by the Avs up 2-0.

38 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

So he was offsides correct?

Edmonton has the fire power to match but Mike Smith is absolutely terrible. 

Not much your goalie can do when you score 0 goals.

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That's going on thirty years ago. Time to move on.

It’s the conference finals. There are trophies and everything.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I can’t believe the Bills lost in the semi-finals with only 13 seconds to go.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SDS said:

I can’t believe the Bills lost in the semi-finals with only 13 seconds to go.

Except, the NFL has never considered them semifinals as they started out as league championships prior to the merger and then were conference championships after with all the old AFL teams in the AFC & only enough old NFL squads to balance the conferences swapping over.

Wouldn't ever call the ALCS & NLCS a semifinal either.

In the NHL, they've often been referred to as semifinals as there were many years where they weren't conference finals.  The entirety of the original 6 era; the entirety of the 70's; a couple of years in the 80's; and last season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

And those trophies were handed out in many years that there weren't conference finals.  The fact that the NHL came up w/ a trophy to hand out doesn't mean a whole lot.  They've singlehandedly kept silversmiths & engravers employed for well over a century with their "we can come up w/ a trophy for that" attitude. 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

There always were trophies and everything.  The winner of the Campbell Conference was awarded the Clarence Campbell Bowl and the winner of the Wales Conference was awarded the Prince of Wales Trophy.

Spare me ...

43 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

There always were trophies and everything.  The winner of the Campbell Conference was awarded the Clarence Campbell Bowl and the winner of the Wales Conference was awarded the Prince of Wales Trophy.

Spare me ...

Right. So even then they were conference finals.

And I still don’t care. It’s been ECFs and WCFs for longer than it hasn’t. Time to move on.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Isn't a 5 min major for boarding also a game misconduct? Did that rule change 

The referees have the option… And Toronto has the option… To change it to a game misconduct and keep it as a five minute major penalty. 

On 6/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, SwampD said:

Right. So even then they were conference finals.

And I still don’t care. It’s been ECFs and WCFs for longer than it hasn’t. Time to move on.

No.  Those trophies went to the team that had the best regular season record in the conference.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

No.  Those trophies went to the team that had the best regular season record in the conference.

Originally yes, but in around 1990 or so they went to the playoff conference winner.

I am not sure why I am pointing this out to one of our most learned scholars of the game.  We just love to hear what *Taro says* ...

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.