GDT: Vegas @ Dallas 8:30 EDT - The Last Breath

WildCard

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Dallas cheated I'll never root for them

You know, I met and spoke with Brett Hull in the summer of 2000, just after the Stars were eliminated from the playoffs that year.  To say he cheated isn't exactly right.  The puck was there, he put it in.  It was a split second thing and by his own words he would have preferred it had gone differently, that the goal wasn't in dispute.  That said, it wasn't up to him to disallow the goal, it was up to the league officials, starting with the on-ice crew, to disallow the goal.  They didn't.  It's not like Hull purposely did something heinous.... it the context of the play the puck was there, the net was there, he knocked it in.  Oh yeah and his foot was in the crease.

After talking to him for a while I asked if he could sign his boarding pass for my nephew who played hockey, and he did:  "To Matt, good luck in hockey.  -Brett Hull"  I thanked him and told him I'd take it to my nephew when we went to go visit my family in Buffalo the following month and the look on his face was priceless, like, "OH.  YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE FANS..."

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You know, I met and spoke with Brett Hull in the summer of 2000

The guy logged on to Twitter for the first time with an avatar where he's pictured wearing a shirt that a Buffalo shirt company made that says "BRETT HULL IS A CHEATER" (with a graphic of a crease, skate, and puck). He's alright by me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I want LV to lose as well, but the 16th pick isn’t exactly going to change the fortunes of our franchise. Whomever we draft will be a Rosen quality player who may not arrive for 2-3 more years.  Happy to have the player and we need the pipeline depth, but when I look at the projections, I don’t see a true difference maker at that point in this draft.  

We say this like draft prospects neatly fall in relation to their potential. #16 could well define our future, as could #10 or #32.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The guy logged on to Twitter for the first time with an avatar where he's pictured wearing a shirt that a Buffalo shirt company made that says "BRETT HULL IS A CHEATER" (with a graphic of a crease, skate, and puck). He's alright by me.

Honestly he was a very pleasant and friendly guy to talk to.  He was in first class on the flight I was on; he got off first and disappeared but I caught up to him waiting at the baggage carousel.  When the subject of The Goal game up he was actually kind of sheepish about it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

what the hell is going on in las vegas, man.

what does the coach gain here by not taking the high road? "obviously, we wish robin the best in his recovery, and we have to be ready to carry on without him, tonight and hopefully into the post season."

That seems pretty GD dysfunctional.

Eichel and Lehner -- together again!  It's magical!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There were only 18 NHL teams in 1977 when Bossy was drafted.

In Absolutely No Way Shape or Form Whatsoever a Fun, but Rather a Painful & Frustrating fact: The Sabres picked 14th that year and chose Ric Seiling. The Islanders picked 15th and took Bossy.

FTFY.  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I guess I'm different. I don't care about the draft pick. It'll be some guy we hope is good later. Maybe will maybe won't. 

I want Eichel to lose. I want him to never win. His post game comments after the home coming said all that needs to be said. Yes, I blame Eichel for our decade of frustrations. 

I want an Eichel stick smash. That would make my night. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I want an Eichel stick smash. That would make my night. 

I want to be a person who would not delight in seeing Eichel struggle and suffer as a hockey player.

I am not yet that person.

A big ol' eyes to the sky moment followed by a stick smash would be glorious.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

what the hell is going on in las vegas, man.

what does the coach gain here by not taking the high road? "obviously, we wish robin the best in his recovery, and we have to be ready to carry on without him, tonight and hopefully into the post season."

fire destroy GIF

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We say this like draft prospects neatly fall in relation to their potential. #16 ceichelould well define our future, as could #10 or #32.

Carolina drafted Aho in the 2nd round at 35, in the McDavid/Eichel draft.  He has essentially the same scoring stats as Eichel.  

We can go on and on naming very good and great players that were not top ten picks.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, RangerDave said:

For the purposes of our future draft pick, I will submit that Dallas did not cheat so much as the refs blew the call.  Therefore, I can root for Dallas with a clear conscience (for this game only...)

The refs, the replay officials, and the league overall blew the call.  To quote the 2001 edition of The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium: "There was nothing inherently evil about the Dallas Stars' players; it is merely the city they play in.  They did not cheat to 'win' the Cup; the fault is with the NHL and its officials for mistakenly awarding it."  And yes, "'win'" is quoted.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.