Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't want this to sound like an accusation, but who's word? 

Also, I wonder why Joe Tsai would want the Sabres

From Wikipedia:

"In September 2019, Tsai became the owner of the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA and chairman of Barclays Center. He initially invested in the NBA team in October 2017, purchasing a 49% stake in the Nets from Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov in a deal that valued the team at $2.3 billion, with the option to buy the remaining stake of the team no later than 2021.[20][21][22] Tsai exercised that option in August 2019, and at the same time, bought the Nets' arena from Prokhorov for nearly $1 billion in a separate deal.[23]

Tsai's ownership in the Nets includes the Long Island Nets of the NBA G League and the Nets Gaming Crew of the NBA 2K League. In January 2019, Tsai headed a group that bought the WNBA's New York Liberty from The Madison Square Garden Company.[24] He owns the San Diego Seals, a professional box lacrosse team in the National Lacrosse League (NLL). On May 26, 2021 The NLL announced Tsai would be the owner of the new Las Vegas franchise.[25]

He is also chairman of J Tsai Sports. Through that company, he has investments in the upstart field lacrosse league, the Premier Lacrosse League and several sports media and technology companies based in North America and Asia. Tsai made his investment in the Premier Lacrosse League in February 2019, along with The Chernin Group and The Raine Group, helping fund the new lacrosse league founded by lacrosse player Paul Rabil and his brother Mike Rabil.[26]

In March 2018, Tsai joined a Michael Rubin-led group to buy the Carolina Panthers.[27]

Tsai is also an investor in Major League Soccer franchise Los Angeles FC.[28][29]

On 26 May 2021, the National Lacrosse League announced that Tsai would be owning the 15th NLL franchise with it based in Las Vegas.[30][31]"

So my first question is what connection does Tsai have with the Pegulas? Or did he reach out to them out of the blue because he wants to expand his sports holdings?

Also, just the Sabres or the Bills too?

I know we will want to dance a jig over the idea of getting rid of Terry and Kim but this could be the beginning of the end of Buffalo as a major league sports market. Both franchises are undervalued in WNY. And the current border issues make Buffalo an even worse market.

What makes @eanyillssay the Pegulas have lost their commitment to the city? Though it's not hard to imagine why. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

I love you, sir, as my Pennsyltucky brother. I shall not forget the bayonet you took for me at Pickett's charge, near to the copse of trees.

However your fancy word work there wounds me to the core.

I recall the cold tin cup of festering hash we supped on that eve with the boiling July air fetid with death. We were not wrong to wish for our mama's deep fried Presque Isle perch!

Yours in warm affection,

Colonel P.A. Sabrefan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I love you, sir, as my Pennsyltucky brother. I shall not forget the bayonet you took for me at Pickett's charge, near to the copse of trees.

However your fancy word work there wounds me to the core.

I recall the cold tin cup of festering hash we supped on that eve with the boiling July air fetid with death. We were not wrong to wish for our mama's deep fried Presque Isle perch!

Yours in warm affection,

Colonel P.A. Sabrefan

I now sit down to inform you I am still among the living and enjoying the best of health… It’s not everyone who can say that, for there is a great deal of sickness in our Sabres army, and as many more die of that than by the enemy team's late game charge.

We are in the sight of Buffalo, and can see the Pegula devils walking around over there in plain view. I do not know what they are aiming to do, or what we are aiming to do. There is a good many of our boys deserting, and that is something no amount of money, or anything else, could get me to do. I think too much of myself, my team, and my friends at home, to disgrace them.

We have seen a good deal of hardship, but that is something expected from the dirty work we do. Some of the boys have been getting letters from their friends, advising them to desert and take leave of our beloved Sabres.

I would not call a man my friend that would write to me and advise me to desert; and that we were fighting for nothing! There are prospects at stake! If I thought that I was fighting for nothing, I would desert in less than an hour; I think I am fighting for one of the best teams and one of the greatest sports that ever the sun shone upon, and therefore I am willing to suffer a little to sustain them.

Yours truly. Private Woodsie.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eanyills said:

Yes, me. Believe it or not. It may happen or it may not. But that’s a name floating around in talks about the Pegula’s properties

Floating around among whom?  I appreciate that you will not want to name names, but a bit more detail would be nice.

I will say that I am fairly familiar with Joe Tsai as a sports owner, since he owns the Brooklyn Nets, of which I am a fan.  PA and the rest of the PA militia would be wise to heed the warnings upthread about being careful what you wish for -- the Nets have become a major player in the NBA under his ownership, but he is more involved than TP is in trades, FA signings and other major franchise decisions.  Also, like TP, there has also been a fair amount of turnover in senior executives working for Tsai. 

In any case, if TP does sell, I wouldn't be shocked if Tsai were the buyer, as he is stinking rich and has evinced an interest in owning multiple sports franchises.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

I now sit down to inform you I am still among the living and enjoying the best of health… It’s not everyone who can say that, for there is a great deal of sickness in our Sabres army, and as many more die of that than by the enemy team's late game charge.

We are in the sight of Buffalo, and can see the Pegula devils walking around over there in plain view. I do not know what they are aiming to do, or what we are aiming to do. There is a good many of our boys deserting, and that is something no amount of money, or anything else, could get me to do. I think too much of myself, my team, and my friends at home, to disgrace them.

We have seen a good deal of hardship, but that is something expected from the dirty work we do. Some of the boys have been getting letters from their friends, advising them to desert and take leave of our beloved Sabres.

I would not call a man my friend that would write to me and advise me to desert; and that we were fighting for nothing! There are prospects at stake! If I thought that I was fighting for nothing, I would desert in less than an hour; I think I am fighting for one of the best teams and one of the greatest sports that ever the sun shone upon, and therefore I am willing to suffer a little to sustain them.

Get a room, you guys.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Floating around among whom?  I appreciate that you will not want to name names, but a bit more detail would be nice.

I will say that I am fairly familiar with Joe Tsai as a sports owner, since he owns the Brooklyn Nets, of which I am a fan.  PA and the rest of the PA militia would be wise to heed the warnings upthread about being careful what you wish for -- the Nets have become a major player in the NBA under his ownership, but he is more involved than TP is in trades, FA signings and other major franchise decisions.  Also, like TP, there has also been a fair amount of turnover in senior executives working for Tsai. 

In any case, if TP does sell, I wouldn't be shocked if Tsai were the buyer, as he is stinking rich and has evinced an interest in owning multiple sports franchises.

The bigger question is how long will he be interested in staying in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The bigger question is how long will he be interested in staying in Buffalo. 

I have pretty consistently been concerned about a new owner moving the team, but I think Tsai is less of a flight risk than most other potential buyers (although still a higher risk than TP).  My impression is that he wants to own sports teams more to collect trophies than to squeeze out value.  

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

image.jpeg.d6a2adc5dec51ead71ee814910f2bf4f.jpeg

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't want this to sound like an accusation, but who's word? 

Also, I wonder why Joe Tsai would want the Sabres

He has all kinds of sports interests.  I know it's a rumor but it does have merit IF he has a desire to get into Hockey.

He is a Canadian citizen.

7 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

He has all kinds of sports interests.  I know it's a rumor but it does have merit IF he has a desire to get into Hockey.

He is a Canadian citizen.

Hamilton?

5 hours ago, eanyills said:

Yes, me. Believe it or not. It may happen or it may not. But that’s a name floating around in talks about the Pegula’s properties

His daughters are, or at least were, big Sabres fans.  I wonder if the last decade has soured them on ownership.

He's a fan himself.  I wonder why he's doing this.  The only thing that leaps to mind is that he has lost so much money over the decade that he can't stand losing on the ice and losing money.

So what is the rumour? Pegulas just going to sell everything: Bills, Sabres, Buffalo buildings and land or they just considering the Sabres?

This seems about right for Buffalo. The Sabres finally have a plan in place that looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel and a new owner will come in, change everybody and start another new plan.:“Let’s sacrifice the kids to try and compete next year”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You can't just move a team because you own it. 

The lawsuits won by Al Davis in his battles w/ the NFL suggest otherwise.

And though the purchase agreement between Golisano & Pegula stipulated the Sabres can't be moved, those clauses are seldom upheld by courts to remain in perpetuity & through multiple team sales / purchases and would almost definitely not withstand a bankruptcy filing.  It's REAL easy to declare bankruptcy when your franchise has had multiple seasons with fewer than 1/3 of the seats filled.

Would really like you to be right about that.  Doubt you are.

Just now, Pimlach said:

I sure don’t like the idea of an ownership change, at least not on the surface.  

If Pegula sells everything he owns in Buffalo I would worry more about the Bills leaving than the Sabres.   Can’t see it happening right now.  

Agreed.  But especially w/ 3 of the Pegula's 5 teams (4 of 6 if you count Jessie's tennis career) playing very well right now & the 1 we care about seemingly poised to finally not stink (as soon as next year w/ the addition of a goalie not currently in the system  & in 2 years w/out one) & fossil fuel prices rising, really don't see a tremendous possibility that they'll sell a majority stake in any of the franchises in the near/intermediate future.

Also, still have the contract holdouts of the '90's due to undercapitalized ownership & the breakup of arguably the best Sabres teams ever due to ownership cheaping out, so really don't want to risk going back to cheap owners &/or the threat of the team moving again.  (Remember those fun days of bankruptcy & receivership?)

We've already suffered through ownership's growing pains.  Ready the start reaping the rewards rather than breaking in new ones.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I sure don’t like the idea of an ownership change, at least not on the surface.  

If Pegula sells everything he owns in Buffalo I would worry more about the Bills leaving than the Sabres.   Can’t see it happening right now.  

Guess I'm old and getting to care less really. If the Sabres weren't here I really would have little interest in hockey really. If the Bills moved I'd just watch whatever games were on. 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pimlach said:

I hope that Adams moves up to President.   Karmanos to GM and a new AGM added.  Meaning Kim is not active in day to day operations.  

I cannot see him selling the team or even a piece of the team,

Any other change is concerning to me given the Pegula track record.  No new Pittsburgh or Penn State people please. 

ICYMI, there does not appear to be that many PGH/PSU people at OBD in Orchard Park. More like Charlotte, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Guess I'm old and getting to care less really. If the Sabres weren't here I really would have little interest in hockey really. If the Bills moved I'd just watch whatever games were on. 

Moving the Sabres would be one thing. Not many people would notice. Moving the Bills would be an entirely different issue, given the worldwide fan base - especially in places like 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿,  🇷🇺 , and 🇰🇿.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The lawsuits won by Al Davis in his battles w/ the NFL suggest otherwise.

And though the purchase agreement between Golisano & Pegula stipulated the Sabres can't be moved, those clauses are seldom upheld by courts to remain in perpetuity & through multiple team sales / purchases and would almost definitely not withstand a bankruptcy filing.  It's REAL easy to declare bankruptcy when your franchise has had multiple seasons with fewer than 1/3 of the seats filled.

Would really like you to be right about that.  Doubt you are.

I don't think you understand who or what you are dealing with regarding Bettman and the other owners: They are literally going to allow a team to play in a 5,000 seat college rink for the next 4-5 years while a potential deal is worked out rather than allow relocation.

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I don't think you understand who or what you are dealing with regarding Bettman and the other owners: They are literally going to allow a team to play in a 5,000 seat college rink for the next 4-5 years while a potential deal is worked out rather than allow relocation.

And you don't seem to understand that if the NHL takes a franchise to court to keep it playing where they want it to should the league and the owner disagree that the league will most likely lose that lawsuit.

Bettman can wish all he wants and can set roadblocks which can make it difficult & force the new owner to go to court, but if it gets to court, Bettman's wishes likely don't come true.  Where Bettman has leverage is he and the other owners can make life difficult for the selling owners should they pick one that will move the team.  But, if that sale goes through, well under Bettman's tenure the Jets moved, the Whalers moved, & the Thrashers have moved.  Way fewer moves than the NFL or the NBA but they have happened.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.